Bought Tahoe with TBs Cranked, How bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. Most of the Internet says 1.5" is max safe crank before you start ripping though half shafts so you are right about there. I did about 1" front and 1" shackles in the rear. Ride is good.

I did 4600's as well. I am a huge fan of bilsteins and don't believe in skimping on shocks because good ones cost like .01 cent per mile more if you do the math. I heard there are 5100's for our trucks but you have to call as ask them what model to buy because it's not published. I have them on my '04 and love them. I would have done them on my '98 had I known.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After making calls to Bilstein and then Summit, I ordered 4600's for the front and 5100's for the rear.

I was told that if the front is stock, just cranked TB, then 4600 is the only option. With blocks in the rear I needed 5100. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to put them in this weekend. Still debating swapping the current 2.5 lift block for a 1.5.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of an aftermarket/larger diameter stabilizer bar but am not sure if there would be any better control. The stabilizer bar bushings are original (end links are new) so I’ll probably swap those out first to see if it improves things.

Interesting that you say yours wallows in the curves. I was thinking about that, because I don't think mine really does and my shocks are currently toast. I'm wondering if your issue could be more in your tires than your suspension, maybe add more air pressure to firm them up a bit?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really could be, they’re about six years old and getting worn. Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I opted for the 265's, but one of things of that kept me from trying the 285's was the added weight. I think it was something like 21lbs per tire, mainly because of the E rating that the larger 285's were. I was concerned for the extra strain on my high mileage drive train, as I need it to last a few more years before I can afford a rebuild/restoration.

E rated tires are built heavier and I would think have much stiffer side walls that could help with handling. Another option would be to move to a larger diameter rim that would decrease side wall height giving better handling. Down side would be a harsher ride maybe.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has D rated tires on it now. Not sure what was required, I could have sworn it was on the door label.

b140863df67c8a6882b7d5cae4887737.jpg

4c68e8a16d60d84aab08c1f2f153f655.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
E rated is not required. My current tires are not. Unless your towing really heavy E rating is overkill I believe. I'm just saying that if you considered them in the future they may have stiffer side walls that would possibly improve the handling your looking for. Although ride might suffer a bit.

I don't know what PSI your running at, but again you could just bump that up some and see what it does for you as well.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
After making calls to Bilstein and then Summit, I ordered 4600's for the front and 5100's for the rear.

I was told that if the front is stock, just cranked TB, then 4600 is the only option. With blocks in the rear I needed 5100. We'll see how it goes. Hoping to put them in this weekend. Still debating swapping the current 2.5 lift block for a 1.5.

Bilstein told you that? Plenty of guys here with 5100 on stock or leveled trucks. The 5100s are adjustable from 0-2.5" of lift.

OP
OP
Moresnowdays

Moresnowdays

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I called them on two separate occasions, talked with two separate tech service people, got the same answer. Bilstein does not offer a 5100 series front shock for 98 Tahoe that is not lifted beyond torsion bar cranking. They also say that the 5100 and 4600 are the same other than length. That makes no sense to me as one is progressive and the other is digressive.

The only ones that I saw listed said it was for a 4-6inch lifted truck. Any idea what model number they are using? Also, a 98 Tahoe front IFS uses a shock, not strut. It's my understanding that only struts are adjustable. Would love to know if there is a 5100 I could use up front...Although I'm still not sure which would be preferred. It seems which one rides better just depends on who you talk to. I've been reading up on the forums trying to figure it out, but there is to much conflicting info for me to get a clear picture on this one.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I called them on two separate occasions, talked with two separate tech service people, got the same answer. Bilstein does not offer a 5100 series front shock for 98 Tahoe that is not lifted beyond torsion bar cranking. They also say that the 5100 and 4600 are the same other than length. That makes no sense to me as one is progressive and the other is digressive.

The only ones that I saw listed said it was for a 4-6inch lifted truck. Any idea what model number they are using? Also, a 98 Tahoe front IFS uses a shock, not strut. It's my understanding that only struts are adjustable. Would love to know if there is a 5100 I could use up front...Although I'm still not sure which would be preferred. It seems which one rides better just depends on who you talk to. I've been reading up on the forums trying to figure it out, but there is to much conflicting info for me to get a clear picture on this one.

Forgot you were OBS. This is the adjustable front 5100 for an NBS. It is a shock. Hmmm.

Bilstein 24-186643 Front Bilstein 5100 - 0-2 inch for Leveling, Torsion Keys and Stock Height Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer

Old Part No: F4-BE5-C153-H0

The Bilstein 5100 24-186643 is a high-pressure monotube shock specifically built and valved for your leveled or lifted vehicle. The high-pressure nitrogen gas monotube shock gives you Bilstein's ride and performance-enhancing engineering with no aeration. Great for hauling and off-roading. Limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects.

Bilstein B8 5100 24-186643

Collapsed Length (IN) - 12.54
Extended Length (IN) - 16.3
Upper Mount Type - Stem
Lower Mount Type - Clevis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE