Bad News from Blackstone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely not clear oil color. Looks like, well, used engine oil.

OP
OP
M

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would this technique of obtaining a sample contaminate it by possibly introducing particles of the oil filter housing or tool used to poke through it?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
M

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Think possibility of inducing contamination would be minimal. Used clean stainless awl and no indication on filter itself of any transfer of materials.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I have thought about collecting my sample from the bottom of the oil filter using this method but decided against it because I thought that perhaps some of the stuff the filter caught might somehow drain out of the filter and into my collection cup.

I would ask Blackstone and see what they think.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about collecting my sample from the bottom of the oil filter using this method but decided against it because I thought that perhaps some of the stuff the filter caught might somehow drain out of the filter and into my collection cup.

I would ask Blackstone and see what they think.
Their recommendation is to catch the sample in the middle of the drain process.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Their recommendation is to catch the sample in the middle of the drain process.

Yes. While warm. I have this weird routine where I pull the plug, wait a few seconds, and then fill/dump/fill/dump/fill the bottle. Not sure why, just feels like I get a good bit from different points in the drain time....or I'm just nuts.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you catch an early stream, or through the oil filter, wear particles may be more concentrated and make you think you have excessive wear. In my case, I used Blackstone labs to confirm a cracked head. I think oil analysis is an excellent way to help diagnose an existing concern. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure I'd want to use it to hunt for issues before other symptoms appear.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd still be concerned about even visibly undetectable contamination from the metal of the punch tool and the metal and paint from the punctured area of the filter. I feel that, with how they're able to detect such trace amounts of materials in a few ounces of oil among everything else that it contains, microscopic flakes of substances and/or metals used in the paint pigments could be detected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71