2012 Tahoe 5.3 tap/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shafner79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

2012 Tahoe LS 5.3 w/ 217,000

First post. One of my best friends passed and I bought his 2012 Tahoe LS. It sat from June to December untill I could actually purchase it due to estate issues. I started and ran it every week while it sat. I even drove it a few times in June.

I dropped it off New Year's Eve to get inspected. I picked it up on January 2nd. It was running fine and then randomly started tapping. (After research it sounds like the normal driver side lifter tap). The CEL started flashing (P0351,P0301and P219A) and the traction/stabilitrack lights were on. I shut it down and checked the fluids. The fuel light had just came on as I was driving back from the mechanic shop . All fluid levels were good, although the oil needed changed. I added some Marvel Mystery Oil, ran it for a few minutes, shut it off and then cleared the CEL. Started it back up and it is quiet has not tapped since but it's still missing. The weird thing is that when I clear the code while it's running, the engine clearly changes sound.

I have changed all 8 plugs to AC Delco and AC Delco wires. Changed the oil with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and added Liqui Moly engine treatment.

It starts and runs pretty smoothly now. Although you can feel the abnormal idle while sitting in it. At idle the CEL is not on until you increase the rpm. Then it shows the same code. If you put a load on it it clearly misses. The CEL is showing only P0301 now.

I'm so lost and defeated. It was running and driving fine since day one and as soon as it got inspected this happens .....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have pretty decent skill and knowledge when it comes to vehicles. No official training but I have done pretty much everything but change a motor or transmission.

Thanks,
Matt

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First post. One of my best friends passed and I bought his 2012 Tahoe LS. It sat from June to December untill I could actually purchase it due to estate issues. I started and ran it every week while it sat. I even drove it a few times in June.

I dropped it off New Year's Eve to get inspected. I picked it up on January 2nd. It was running fine and then randomly started tapping. (After research it sounds like the normal driver side lifter tap). The CEL started flashing (P0351,P0301and P219A) and the traction/stabilitrack lights were on. I shut it down and checked the fluids. The fuel light had just came on as I was driving back from the mechanic shop . All fluid levels were good, although the oil needed changed. I added some Marvel Mystery Oil, ran it for a few minutes, shut it off and then cleared the CEL. Started it back up and it is quiet has not tapped since but it's still missing. The weird thing is that when I clear the code while it's running, the engine clearly changes sound.

I have changed all 8 plugs to AC Delco and AC Delco wires. Changed the oil with Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage and added Liqui Moly engine treatment.

It starts and runs pretty smoothly now. Although you can feel the abnormal idle while sitting in it. At idle the CEL is not on until you increase the rpm. Then it shows the same code. If you put a load on it it clearly misses. The CEL is showing only P0301 now.

I'm so lost and defeated. It was running and driving fine since day one and as soon as it got inspected this happens .....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have pretty decent skill and knowledge when it comes to vehicles. No official training but I have done pretty much everything but change a motor or transmission.

Thanks,
Matt
Sorry to hear about your loss of a close friend. :-(

If there is no longer any mechanical tapping/rapping noises, then I suspect the following possibilities, in order:

1/ A bad replacement spark plug. Where did you source them from? Lots of counterfeit Delco plugs out there on sites like Scamazon and Evilbay.
2/ A spark plug wire not fully seated either on the plug or in the coil.
3/ A damaged/bad coil
4/ A broken wire in the harness to either the #1 coil or the #1 injector.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0301 means you have a misfire on cyl 1 and someone will need to troubleshoot what's causing it. Tons of info on these fourms and YouTube on how to do that. Could be anything from a bad lifter to a bad plug wire so definitely recommend to take time and do research rather than fire parts at it.

OP
OP
shafner79

shafner79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_200822496~2.jpg
    PXL_20240111_200822496~2.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240111_200837272~2.jpg
    PXL_20240111_200837272~2.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 5

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a faiiling/sticking AFM/DOD lifter on the number one cylinder, the tap goes away when the plunger manages to snap past the dogs but it is not fully extended so it misses slightly at idle; once the RPM is increased the miss is pronounced enough for the computer to narrow down the affected cylinder and it throws the code.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks,
Matt
Matt,

You have a leak of some kind and maybe a bag ignition coil on the #1 cylinder. Check the plug and wire first, check the induction system for leaks, being loose, etc.

The engine oil additive is not going to play nice with the VVT system so stick with regular oil once you get this sorted.

AllDataDIY is your friend here to help you solve these codes. First solve the P0351 and then the 301 will go away and then you can get after the 219A.

None of those codes allude to an internal engine problem.

OP
OP
shafner79

shafner79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So we dug a little deeper today....with the valve cover off. The #1 rocker is not moving. The hits keep coming. My son crashed our other SUV last week and totalled it.

Any idea on what I need to do to repair it? New motor or is it fixable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar