Bad News from Blackstone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Suburban LTZ 74,000 miles
Here's the results from Blackstone Labs: "It looks like this engine may have developed a problem. Aluminum shows excess piston and/or bearing wear and chrome is from rings. Iron shows excess steel wear. Piston scuffing is a possibility, but it could be a bearing issue too. Poor valve train wear could also be responsible for some of the metal. How's the engine running? Any unusual ticking or knocking sounds? Check back in 4-5000 miles."
Aluminum shows 13 ppm, average is 4. Iron shows 104 ppm, average is 18. Chromium shows 3 ppm, average is 1.
Answers are--no unusual sounds. Oil pressure steady at 40 psi (with cold weather starts at 60). Nothing to indicate any mechanical problems.
I'm the second owner (bought at 30,000) and oil has always been changed by local dealer or owner. Have been running Mobil 1 and Mobil filter since end of maintenance plan. Oil always changed by readout and always around 10% remaining.
Is there any way to help extend engine operational life, given this report? What's next? Lottery ticket? Go Fund Me? Marvel Mystery Oil?
Any information or guidance would be most appreciated.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would doubt your engine is toast at just 74,000 miles if you've been consistent with your maintenance as stated in your post. That would be highly unusual for these vehicles. Maybe the sample was tainted to have a second sample sent in? :shrug:

Especially if you're not hearing any odd noises coming from the engine or noticing any kind of issues with performance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like 07 said. Drive it till something in there gets bad enough that it does effect the performance of the engine. As long as your gauges and ears see/her nothing wrong, continue to drive. You now know what "may" be going on in there so be aware of things. Unless you just want a new engine or a new vehicle, "Party on Garth".

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Here's the results from Blackstone Labs: "It looks like this engine may have developed a problem. Aluminum shows excess piston and/or bearing wear and chrome is from rings. Iron shows excess steel wear. Piston scuffing is a possibility, but it could be a bearing issue too. Poor valve train wear could also be responsible for some of the metal. How's the engine running? Any unusual ticking or knocking sounds? Check back in 4-5000 miles."
Aluminum shows 13 ppm, average is 4. Iron shows 104 ppm, average is 18. Chromium shows 3 ppm, average is 1.
Answers are--no unusual sounds. Oil pressure steady at 40 psi (with cold weather starts at 60). Nothing to indicate any mechanical problems.
I'm the second owner (bought at 30,000) and oil has always been changed by local dealer or owner. Have been running Mobil 1 and Mobil filter since end of maintenance plan. Oil always changed by readout and always around 10% remaining.
Is there any way to help extend engine operational life, given this report? What's next? Lottery ticket? Go Fund Me? Marvel Mystery Oil?

I didn't see it anywhere in your post...

How many miles were on that oil sample?

Was this your first UOA for this vehicle?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 2012 sounded fine at 82k, had plenty of power, idled perfectly. then......the oil pressure started to go up and down up and down up and down, long story short chunk of metal was stuck in the oil pump, luckily I had a 3rd party warranty and ended up with a new motor, just the luck of the draw I guess. It kind of puts a bad taste in your mouth when something like that happens but I have owned several similar GM vehicles and this was the only one that ever had that kind of problem. The positive part is now that it has the new motor and has had both differentials rebuilt it's like a new truck again :D

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Aside from Wes's scare tactics ;), I agree with the above.
How many miles on the sample?
Maybe tainted.
I'd do a short (3000ish) OCI, and retest. I had one test out of whack, too. My following 2 samples went back in line with the good numbers I was used to seeing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If this were my engine, I would switch to an oil with higher viscosity numbers like Shell's Rotella Gas Truck and change the oil on the DIC when the OLM is about 33%.

M1 EP filter lowers my oil pressure and flows 50% less than what I switched to:

upload_2020-1-8_19-15-8.png

upload_2020-1-8_19-18-23.png

Get a mechanic's stethoscope and have a listen around the engine during a cold start. My motor was a little loud on start up with M1, it's quiet as a mouse now.

Here is my Blackstone Labs reports for M1 oil. I'll send off a sample of my second fill of ACD in a month or so:

Blackstone-Labs Report - 280076-190226 - Blanks.jpg

Hope this helps and no drag racing until further notice!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from Wes's scare tactics ;), I agree with the above.
How many miles on the sample?
Maybe tainted.
I'd do a short (3000ish) OCI, and retest. I had one test out of whack, too. My following 2 samples went back in line with the good numbers I was used to seeing.
trust me I had high hopes it was going to be the pickup tube o-ring or a bad pressure sensor or clogged screen, but :( no such luck.
but I would for sure send in a another sample to verify

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Absolutely sample again, I am a helo mech and pull samples on 3 gear boxes every 50 hrs. More often than not if the sample comes back out of limits it was a mistake in the sampling procedure. i allways pull another sample to confirm the results. Than drain and flush and sample every 10 hrs to identify if the problem elevates or declines prior to replacing a component. you are looking at "PPM", dont panic yet, a more conclusive visual check would be to cut the filter open and inspect the media. either way i would change the oil within a couple hundred miles, 5 qts M1 5/30 and delco filter are $27. cut the filter open that you remove and inspect. if the filter is full of flakes bronze/alum or worse metal "use a magnet to determine" than you will know if your worries are justified. if the filter media is clean than take a cross country road trip and forget about it. just a note, mine is 08 denali 6.2 with approx 139,000. i use M1 5/30 and delco filter every 3 to 4 thousand miles. aluminum blocks imo require reduced oil change intervals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094