Bad News from Blackstone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Used Harley technique of just poking a hole in the top of the filter and letting it drain to get enough oil for the sample and to mitigate the mess in removing the filter.
Poor collection technique. Oil flows around the outside of the filter, through the media, then back up through the center. When you poke a hole in the bottom, the oil flows out of the center (from the block) and basically back-washes the filter media, rinsing any captured contaminants out with it.

The appropriate method would be to clean around the drain plug, remove it, let it drain for a few seconds, then place your container under the stream until full.

I'd send another sample in. Unfortunately, can't really say anything about this one because of how it was collected. It's a meaningless result.

OP
OP
M

muldoon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Poor collection technique. Oil flows around the outside of the filter, through the media, then back up through the center. When you poke a hole in the bottom, the oil flows out of the center (from the block) and basically back-washes the filter media, rinsing any captured contaminants out with it.

The appropriate method would be to clean around the drain plug, remove it, let it drain for a few seconds, then place your container under the stream until full.

I'd send another sample in. Unfortunately, can't really say anything about this one because of how it was collected. It's a meaningless result.

I asked for advise, so I'd better listen to it. Just now emailed Blackstone asking them to disregard my most recent sample. I'll pull another one in a few days and get it off to them at that time.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for advise, so I'd better listen to it. Just now emailed Blackstone asking them to disregard my most recent sample. I'll pull another one in a few days and get it off to them at that time.
Yessir, you need to follow their recommended method of obtaining a test sample or it’s worthless because their test is based on that method.

Fischer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never done an oil analysis on any vehicle I've owned. I guess I'm missing out on a whole lot of worrying.... Lol

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18
Try grabbing a copy Royal and dumping it through a coffee filter see if you have anything in there left when you're done. Certainly don't need to pay somebody to or $300 to sniff your oil good luck

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try grabbing a copy Royal and dumping it through a coffee filter see if you have anything in there left when you're done. Certainly don't need to pay somebody to or $300 to sniff your oil good luck
Who’s charging $300...?!? IIRC it’s around $28 for a full analysis, shipped..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap what side of the world did you wake up on? Pour your oil through a coffee filter? This ain’t the jungles of Bolivia, we have tools here that can measure parts per million, can a coffee filter do that? And it only costs about $25. $300 will get you a blowie to go with it. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14