2012 Tahoe 5.3 tap/misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we dug a little deeper today....with the valve cover off. The #1 rocker is not moving. The hits keep coming. My son crashed our other SUV last week and totalled it.

Any idea on what I need to do to repair it? New motor or is it fixable?
It's very fixable. I physically deleted the AFM system in my driveway.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@shafner79 That's a common problem with this platform. Moving forward there are a few options in navigating the situation depending on your goals. The proper fix would be to open the top of the motor up and remove the parts of the AFM system and put the motor back together using non AFM parts. It sounds daunting but at this point there should be no critical damage that has been done so getting it back on the road should be very straight forward.

You could attempt to remedy the problem but unsticking the problem part but if the problem happened once, it is bound to happen again.

OP
OP
shafner79

shafner79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have it at in an auto electric shop right now. He is going to try to free it up. He also recommended doing the delete. Which I will be doing as long as the motor is okay.
Hopefully I have some more info tomorrow or the next day on what else he found out.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@shafner79 That sounds like a good plan. You won’t know the extent of the situation until you open the motor but if you can bide time until it’s more convenient I can respect that.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we dug a little deeper today....with the valve cover off. The #1 rocker is not moving. The hits keep coming. My son crashed our other SUV last week and totalled it.

Any idea on what I need to do to repair it? New motor or is it fixable?
Shit, man! I hope your son is okay.

OP
OP
shafner79

shafner79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I found a shop that will do an AFM delete and replace all the parts with non AFM parts. He's going to do the heads and put head gaskets on it as well as the lifters and cam. Then I have a friend with the HP tuner who will reprogram it for me. Looks like it's going to be over $4,000.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a shop that will do an AFM delete and replace all the parts with non AFM parts. He's going to do the heads and put head gaskets on it as well as the lifters and cam. Then I have a friend with the HP tuner who will reprogram it for me. Looks like it's going to be over $4,000.
That's a fair price but keep in mind that you'll need to have it tuned before it's started for the first time without the AFM components. You may want to have him grab the current tune files off it now before it goes under the knife, so he can make the changes and flash the ECU while it's still in the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts