At my wits' end with oil leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe it's time to yank the motor and put new rings and bearings and gaskets in it? Oil pressure supposed to be that high on those years? Maybe that 80 pound pressure blew out all those seals and gaskets?

Last edited:

Bill Hayes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Z71 that had a leaking rear main. Changed the rear main seal and the pan started leaking. Then I found the PCV valve is built in to the driver side valve cover. It was stopped up. Changed the valve cover and the oil leak stopped. Hook a hose to the fitting on the rear of the driver side valve cover. You should be able to blow through it. If it is stopped up, this will cause a leak.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 other possible problematic areas that I am aware of. First one is rear cover gasket. It's on the back side(trans end) of the block, and can leak independently of the rear main seal. Another one to check is the crank position sensor which is apparently above the starter.

I have an '04 Tahoe with 281k on it and I'm in the same predicament with oil leaks. Needless to say my undercarriage is "rust proofed" with all the oil spray from driving with an oil leak.

In regards to your coolant loss, you may have compromised head gaskets, or the dreaded and all too common Castech cracked head. Castech is the manufacturer of cylinder head castings for GM and they made junk head castings that crack with time. Once cracked, the coolant leaks into the oil and causes lots of problems. Plenty of online reading for Castech heads. For a temporary fix of coolant loss, you may consider Bars Leaks additive. I dropped a bottle in my 04 until I can find a replacement drop in engine, or come up with a plan of action to freshen up my existing 5.3.

I am at the point where I think the only way to take care of the multitude of problems that afflicts high mileage 5.3's is to remove the engine from the vehicle and address everything at once. Anyone found a way to effectively fix all the 5.3 issues without breaking the back and the bank attempting to do it in the Tahoe Suburban Silverado Sierra?

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Z71 that had a leaking rear main. Changed the rear main seal and the pan started leaking. Then I found the PCV valve is built in to the driver side valve cover. It was stopped up. Changed the valve cover and the oil leak stopped. Hook a hose to the fitting on the rear of the driver side valve cover. You should be able to blow through it. If it is stopped up, this will cause a leak.

I have checked that on mine. I can blow thru it, but not easily. I know that is a metered(choked down) orifice, but how much resistance should there be at the PCV when checking it by blowing thru it?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have checked that on mine. I can blow thru it, but not easily. I know that is a metered(choked down) orifice, but how much resistance should there be at the PCV when checking it by blowing thru it?

I have read about drilling it out larger. We did it to my buddies wifes enclave. It solved a milkshake intake issue.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the coolant leak mine was doing the same and it ended up being the heater core plastic connector. It only dripped when vehicle was running and dripped down on the coil pack then the exhaust manifold so nothing ended up on the driveway. Only way I found it was by observing it while vehicle was warmed up and running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700