Anyone running Belltech coilovers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I'll find out soon enough. Still have to modify the top 3 mounting holes up in the spring pocket. Once that's done and it back on the ground we'll see where it's at.
Still not happy with the poor R&D and Quality control. They poor kid at Belltech was clueless when I called earlier in the day. Sounds like he was reading of a script.

I just looked them up on BT's site- they're adjustable by turning some lock rings/collars, like with spanner wrenches. Just install 'em and if they need adjusting up or down, jack it up to take the weight off the springs and turn those collars about half the distance you wanna change it. Like, if you want it to be an inch lower, you'd lower the collars 1/2". Drive it for a bit to get the springs to settle before you start making adjustments, though.

signguy62

Reaction score
I just looked them up on BT's site- they're adjustable by turning some lock rings/collars, like with spanner wrenches. Just install 'em and if they need adjusting up or down, jack it up to take the weight off the springs and turn those collars about half the distance you wanna change it. Like, if you want it to be an inch lower, you'd lower the collars 1/2". Drive it for a bit to get the springs to settle before you start making adjustments, though.
I get how they work. But here's the thing. According to the instructions, for a 3in drop the coils need to be adjusted to 155mm (measured from the base of the spring perch to the lower mount). For a 1in drop the coil needs to be adjusted to 185mm. That's a 30mm difference alone. But they come out of the box set up at like 100mm. The directions say to preset the coilover to a higher setting (in mm) and adjust down to desired drop, once installed. That's a whole lot of cranking on that coil with a spanner wrench. If it's a 1-3 drop coilover, why not ship preset to a 1in drop and allow the customer to adjust accordingly.
And that's the least of the BS. The fact that the 3 top mounting studs don't align and having to modify the mounting holes in the spring pocket is absolutely ridiculous.
But thanks for the advise.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get how they work. But here's the thing. According to the instructions, for a 3in drop the coils need to be adjusted to 155mm (measured from the base of the spring perch to the lower mount). For a 1in drop the coil needs to be adjusted to 185mm. That's a 30mm difference alone. But they come out of the box set up at like 100mm. The directions say to preset the coilover to a higher setting (in mm) and adjust down to desired drop, once installed. That's a whole lot of cranking on that coil with a spanner wrench. If it's a 1-3 drop coilover, why not ship preset to a 1in drop and allow the customer to adjust accordingly.
And that's the least of the BS. The fact that the 3 top mounting studs don't align and having to modify the mounting holes in the spring pocket is absolutely ridiculous.
But thanks for the advise.

Can you pretend you want a 3" drop just for the installation then adjust up after they're installed? Are you aiming for a specific and precise number of drop or are you aiming for a certain appearance/stance once it's all said and done, regardless if it's 1.0498" drop on the driver side and 1.263" on the passenger side? (arbitrary measurements for example)

The mounting stud location shouldn't even be a thing. How far is it off? Is it the the whole bolt circle being too tight or too wide or are they not equilateral?

signguy62

Reaction score
They were a pain on the ass to install...But they're in. Need to be adjusted a little still.

Attachments

• 20230902_171458.jpg
    20230902_171458.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230902_171415.jpg
    20230902_171415.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 6

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were a pain on the ass to install...But they're in. Need to be adjusted a little still.
@07Burb used a set of those. Curious of his input. He didn't seem to have to many issues installing, that he shared with us anyway.

signguy62

Reaction score
Biggest issue I ran into was adjusting them prior to install. Directions say to set them up to your desired drop prior to install. Problem is, if you only want an inch/inch and a half drop and adjust to that setting prior to install, they're too long to fit. If you install them straight out of the box they fit. Then you just have to adjust after the install.
That and I had to open up the mounting holes in the spring pockest a little to get the three mounting studs to fit. Got lots of assistance/recommendations from here and finally got them installed.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biggest issue I ran into was adjusting them prior to install. Directions say to set them up to your desired drop prior to install. Problem is, if you only want an inch/inch and a half drop and adjust to that setting prior to install, they're too long to fit. If you install them straight out of the box they fit. Then you just have to adjust after the install.
That and I had to open up the mounting holes in the spring pockest a little to get the three mounting studs to fit. Got lots of assistance/recommendations from here and finally got them installed.

Well pleas keep us updated how you make out with them.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@07Burb used a set of those. Curious of his input. He didn't seem to have to many issues installing, that he shared with us anyway.
Ended up selling the rig back to @Fosscore because I got a chance to install the set I bought but he had a shop install the coilovers a year or so ago. Setting them up seemed easy enough (I did get that far) but I never got a chance to actually throw them in to run into the issues that @signguy62 ran into so I can't confirm or deny. :shrug:

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used the 6" lift belltech coilovers on mine but i imagine they are assembled the same.

had no problems with the mounting holes either, only way i could see them off is if the top plate needed to be completely rotated or something
for adjusting they are kind of a pain in the ass, on the lifted ones they use a hard bushing (what they call a "packer") that you have to decide height you want pull the spring off the coil over and either have no packer, 1 packer or 2 packer. for 0-1, 1-3, 3-6 or some shit i dont remember what it is.
imo theyre easier to adjust on the truck just because you dont have to try and clamp the entire coilover down while running the jamnuts up/down, pretty much the same for coilovers on any car its just these springs are probably 1k/per inch springs so it makes everything that much more fun.

also they make a thrust style washer to put on the top of the jam nut so youre not fighting the friction of the jamnut against the spring my coilovers came with 1 for one side. it was easier to just buy another one for the other instead of trying to go thru belltech to get it, and youre supposed to coat the threads with anti-seize iirc also to reduce the friction while running jam nuts up/down

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076