Best rear springs for 4-5" drop carrying huge stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im needing some advice and possibly a solution to my ongoing problem. For starters I have a 2001 Tahoe, lowered 3.5" in the front, using spindles and keys, Using belltech Jouncestops in the front. Rear CURRENTLY consists of factory springs with 2 rounds cut off, current Fender measurements are 31.5" front, and 31.75" rear both sides sit level. Tires are 285/50/20

I have tried belltech 3" drop coils, with the result of too low, too bouncy, I added their 1" spacer, with poor results. I have tried DJM 2" coils with a decent ride, but bouncy, I also tried mcgaughys 3" coils which yielded over 5" of drop, which put my axle on the frame, a terribly bouncy ride.

The truck carries 2 18" woofers, 6 batteries, a 14 CUFT mdf and fiberglass box, 4 channel amplifiers, tons of 4/0, 1/0 wiring Estimating 1200+ LBS in additional weight right on top of the axle. On factory springs with no drop, the stereo alone squatted the truck right at 2" I've played around with multiple shocks as well.

I Am looking for a spring, Airbag, airshock, helper bag, combo etc To give me the ride height desiered 31.5-32" rear, and the ability to carry this weight down the road smoothly. Factory cut coils ride quite a bit better than any other setup I've tried thus far. but thats not saying much.

The truck sways side to side at highway speeds, its not terrible, but definitely noticeable, more with the lowering springs as they seem softer. I am 100% positive the swaying is in the rear, the front is rock solid, no worn components.

Any advice or support is greatly appreciated, Thanks Colby

image (1).jpg image.jpg

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have u done the free travel mod and added the rk2000 kit from djm. It relocates the sway bar and control arms. Also changes angle an shorter sway bar links? I have all that plus a adjustable panhard from spohn an it handles like a dream. An bilstein shocks. also I have the belltech 4230 coils which are for the trailblazer and I added helper springs. ( red bags ) which are adjustable an they help the rear alot. No bottoming or anything. 20200427_121245.jpg

OP
OP
Colby_e32

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any questions just holler

I do have the RK2000 DJM kit. Before and after the kit, no changes in ride quality, swaying or drifting. When I hit bumps, they carry, meaning I feel them long after the rebound. Almost like pulling an overloaded trailer at all times is how it feels.

Your setup seems lower than mine, what are you using for the front ? I thought about switching to the trailblazer rear coils, but I’m unsure what part number helper bags to use as well. I’ve seen so many different numbers listed it just gets confusing.

any idea what your ground to fender measurements are? Looks great!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with Tony @NORCAL SS. He’ll steer you in the right direction. If the dub box isn’t as close to the axles it’ll make you bounce quite a bit

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest that you cut holes in the bed of your truck, over the rear axle, rotate your sub box so that the 18" speakers are pointing downward and firing through the new holes in the bed, and then adjust the subwoofer volume, until you achieve the ride height that you desire.

Sorry, I could not resist. :)

OP
OP
Colby_e32

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The speakers, batteries and amplifiers are all directly over the axle, Port and gross box volume fills the entire cargo area.

I’ll post pictures later.

I’m thinking I need to get a heavy duty spring, or switch to airbags all together, however I do not plan to tow, if I can get a setup that rides comfortable and leave it, then I’ll be happy.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the RK2000 DJM kit. Before and after the kit, no changes in ride quality, swaying or drifting. When I hit bumps, they carry, meaning I feel them long after the rebound. Almost like pulling an overloaded trailer at all times is how it feels.

Your setup seems lower than mine, what are you using for the front ? I thought about switching to the trailblazer rear coils, but I’m unsure what part number helper bags to use as well. I’ve seen so many different numbers listed it just gets confusing.

It's like 31 in front and 32 in rear. U can get the coils I got on Amazon pretty cheap. It's the 4230 coils with 60748 bags. that's the same I got. the bags are not fun to get in either lol. Front I have mcgaughys spindles and 3/4 purple keys

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I also have 24s on 305 35s. An I appreciate it

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the RK2000 DJM kit. Before and after the kit, no changes in ride quality, swaying or drifting. When I hit bumps, they carry, meaning I feel them long after the rebound. Almost like pulling an overloaded trailer at all times is how it feels. See dont listen to no other part numbers. Here's my order

Screenshot_20200714-113407_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20200714-113355_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20200714-113407_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20200714-113355_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium