Trying to get low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What're you waiting for?

I find myself asking that lately. I swear there was something else I needed before I blew it all apart. I'm replacing the control arms (with bushings and ball joints) when I do it, and I have all of that in addition to the drop parts. I have the AutoRide shock resistors... The load bags... Belltech camber eccentrics... What am I missing- Time?

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find myself asking that lately. I swear there was something else I needed before I blew it all apart. I'm replacing the control arms (with bushings and ball joints) when I do it, and I have all of that in addition to the drop parts. I have the AutoRide shock resistors... The load bags... Belltech camber eccentrics... What am I missing- Time?

Time :)

How low are you planning on going?

I tried to have all my ducks in a row also. Time was my biggest battle and doing it by myself in my driveway was the other well along with doing it at the coldest time of the year was the really my biggest issue. I hate the cold weather.

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My frame sits on my axle with a full tank of gas. I have literally zero suspension travel. With 1/4 tank, I have about 3/4" clearance. I also have a ton of weight in the rear. I've been trying to find someone to notch my frame so I can get some suspesnion travel back.

At some point the rear sway bar has to be removed because it doesn't fit between the shock bolts. Also the rear 6" drop spring will bottom out on itself. Need a much higher spring rate

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are current pictures of the truck. Front still needs to be tubbed so I go back down to the original height without rubbing
5FA53210-B9E0-4D63-84D1-1FED6F9972CE.jpeg F4089AAF-143C-4FEC-8994-B17A80A60722.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time :)

How low are you planning on going?

I tried to have all my ducks in a row also. Time was my biggest battle and doing it by myself in my driveway was the other well along with doing it at the coldest time of the year was the really my biggest issue. I hate the cold weather.

4/4, maybe 4/5. I like some rake for the functional aspects. I have spindles, struts, shock simulator resistors, rear shocks, coils, spacers (if needed), sway bar relocators, lower control arm relocators, shock extenders, Spohn panhard (already installed), free travel mod performed, all four new loaded control arms and short AirLift bags with the intent to connect them to the (new) Auto Level compressor.

Like you, I wanna have all my ducks in a row so I tear it all apart once. I may redo the brakes at that time so I may add pads and rotors to that list. I like cool weather, but not cold. So maybe I'll plan it for the 7-10 days we have "Fall" weather.

After rebuilding the suspension, steering and drivelines on two 4WD GMT800s (torsion bar suspension) over a weekend each, I know I could do all of mine in one long day, but I'll spread it out over a weekend cuz I have no reason to rush.

Extra planned work will be to take a bunch of measurements of everything before I start so I'll have references. I plan to make my own extended rear lower control arms and adjustable uppers, so I'll need pinion angle references. I also want the ride height sensors to be at their original positions after the drop, so some calculating will need to be done there as well. The rear sensor arms will be longer than necessary to allow adjustability after the drop so that the Auto Level system can be fine-tuned to firm up or even lift the rear as needed to compensate for what I'm sure will be slightly too soft of coils.

Hmmm... You've kinda got me inspired now.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My frame sits on my axle with a full tank of gas. I have literally zero suspension travel. With 1/4 tank, I have about 3/4" clearance. I also have a ton of weight in the rear. I've been trying to find someone to notch my frame so I can get some suspesnion travel back.

At some point the rear sway bar has to be removed because it doesn't fit between the shock bolts. Also the rear 6" drop spring will bottom out on itself. Need a much higher spring rate

Not sure how you drive it with basically no suspension.
Where do you live? I'm a welder/fabricator I'd notch it for yah. Probably going to do mine eventually. I'll look at modifying the sway bar too.
I'm actually thinking about going with coil-overs to see if it will give me desired drop. Which I think would be close to 8 in the end.

these are current pictures of the truck. Front still needs to be tubbed so I go back down to the original height without rubbing
View attachment 230997 View attachment 230998

I LOOOOOOOOVE how it looks though :)

4/4, maybe 4/5. I like some rake for the functional aspects. I have spindles, struts, shock simulator resistors, rear shocks, coils, spacers (if needed), sway bar relocators, lower control arm relocators, shock extenders, Spohn panhard (already installed), free travel mod performed, all four new loaded control arms and short AirLift bags with the intent to connect them to the (new) Auto Level compressor.

Like you, I wanna have all my ducks in a row so I tear it all apart once. I may redo the brakes at that time so I may add pads and rotors to that list. I like cool weather, but not cold. So maybe I'll plan it for the 7-10 days we have "Fall" weather.

After rebuilding the suspension, steering and drivelines on two 4WD GMT800s (torsion bar suspension) over a weekend each, I know I could do all of mine in one long day, but I'll spread it out over a weekend cuz I have no reason to rush.

Extra planned work will be to take a bunch of measurements of everything before I start so I'll have references. I plan to make my own extended rear lower control arms and adjustable uppers, so I'll need pinion angle references. I also want the ride height sensors to be at their original positions after the drop, so some calculating will need to be done there as well. The rear sensor arms will be longer than necessary to allow adjustability after the drop so that the Auto Level system can be fine-tuned to firm up or even lift the rear as needed to compensate for what I'm sure will be slightly too soft of coils.

Hmmm... You've kinda got me inspired now.

I don't mind a little rake as long as its on someone else's truck ;) The helper bags definitely help out with the rake as well loading up. I had mine slam full when we evacuated last year and had 20 gallons of gas on the hitch, with no saggy bottom.

Might as well do the brakes while you have it apart. It was 59 degrees this morning and my wink was shriveled up, not happy. I like it hot out all the time.

That's something I wish I did. I thought I had taken measurements and written them down somewhere, I was wrong. Yours seems to be a bit more in depth with the auto leveling stuff. I will also be making my one lowers. I bought a stock lower for reference and I got some beefy material to tackle that job, just saving for some heims, they're huge.
I'm just stumped as to try to figure out the coil situation or just go to coil-overs and maybe try some TBSS bags.

I inspire people

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Not sure how you drive it with basically no suspension.
Where do you live? I'm a welder/fabricator I'd notch it for yah. Probably going to do mine eventually. I'll look at modifying the sway bar too.
I'm actually thinking about going with coil-overs to see if it will give me desired drop. Which I think would be close to 8 in the end.

I LOOOOOOOOVE how it looks though :)

I don't mind a little rake as long as its on someone else's truck ;) The helper bags definitely help out with the rake as well loading up. I had mine slam full when we evacuated last year and had 20 gallons of gas on the hitch, with no saggy bottom.

Might as well do the brakes while you have it apart. It was 59 degrees this morning and my wink was shriveled up, not happy. I like it hot out all the time.

That's something I wish I did. I thought I had taken measurements and written them down somewhere, I was wrong. Yours seems to be a bit more in depth with the auto leveling stuff. I will also be making my one lowers. I bought a stock lower for reference and I got some beefy material to tackle that job, just saving for some heims, they're huge.
I'm just stumped as to try to figure out the coil situation or just go to coil-overs and maybe try some TBSS bags.

I inspire people

I think the problem with notching the SUVs is that crossmember above the axle... not that it can't be done but it does make it more difficult than the pickups.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with notching the SUVs is that crossmember above the axle... not that it can't be done but it does make it more difficult than the pickups.

I'll have to look at that tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it was the same for my 2dr. That thing had more crossmembers to notch and clearance, it was ridiculous haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9