Anyone Off-Road their Yukon Denali with OEM suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very informative, thanks! The last pass I did in Colorado was Imogene from Telluride to Ouray in a 2020 Defender 110 S; of course used low range extensively. I can't see my Denali doing Imogene. I was a bit concerned about the Denali doing Ophir (even though it's easy) because I understand most of these passes degrade over time and often get more difficult in the "easy" sections.

I plan to remove the air dam (lower valance), but will definitely not be doing hardcore stuff like rock rails. Your reply is making me lean towards keeping the Autoride; just replacing with OEM so they don't pop on the trail.
Happy to help. I think that's a good plan for what you have in mind.

Something else to consider is replacing the torque converter in the transmission before such a long and demanding trip. Failure of the lockup clutch is what takes these transmissions out and you're approaching the critical mileage, in my opinion.

OP
OP
doc5339

doc5339

Reaction score
Happy to help. I think that's a good plan for what you have in mind.

Something else to consider is replacing the torque converter in the transmission before such a long and demanding trip. Failure of the lockup clutch is what takes these transmissions out and you're approaching the critical mileage, in my opinion.
Noted Sir, thanks again!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not who I was thinking of but he sure is a great resource!
I'll bet this is the guy you were thinking of:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bet this is the guy you were thinking of:

That's him, thanks! @Dingus mcghee

He hasn't been on in a while, not able to page him.

superjet223

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've done some DNR type forest road camping in my 07 Denali XL AWD. Some very neglected and steep rocky terrain. I do have 2.5" lift with 33" nitto ridge grapplers but otherwise stock suspension and haven't had any issues. Just need a little knowledge on picking lines and some common sense and patience and it's quite capable.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New to the group, but have enjoyed the forum for awhile from afar.

I have an 08 denali that I turned into my amateur overland truck.....I caught the bug 2 years ago after a NETFLIX series.

It is OEM. Factory suspension and tire size (265-65-18) handles gravel roads with ease. I've been to WY where the roads are mainly smooth gravel and 28 psi works well to go around 45 mph with good riding conditions. MO, KS,and NE roads as well (pony express overland route) were mostly gravel and easy to run on.

WI forest roads that are gravel with some whoop sections and washboard are easily traversed with the appropriate speed and tire pressure.

AZ & CO just this week and it was much different than what I had previously tackled. The roads can either be nice gravel/sand mix and smooth, or cobblestone awfulness that will rattle the truck apart. (Avoid Carson natl forest if you value your vehicle in 1 piece) I found it can also handle a trail that goes to 12000 ft elevation in the San Jaun Natl forest ( shorter red loop on RH screen shot. Hwy 550 is the western border). Steep, rocky, sharp corners, loose rocks, etc. It was pucker central for a little bit, not gonna lie.....especially traveling all by my lonesome. A 2 speed transfer case would be great, but 1st gear will be sufficient for the most part. Just make sure to give the brakes time to cool after steep sections.

Also did the CUMBERLAND PASS trail from hwy 50 south of Pitkin via 763, and then 765 north over the pass to Tincup. I would call it a semi-rough route with some nice smooth gravel sections, then washboard, small to medium rocky sections, and some sharp uphill curves.

If you air down the tires to help absorb energy, choose a good line, and don't be a speed demon, it actually works quite well. I do have the rear shocks refill after a serious articulation around steep corners once in awhile, but no failures or leaks. However, I was advised by more than 1 person that the low ground clearance and factory tire size can get you in trouble on other trails that are more technical. And, I don't disagree with them.

Put on 3200 miles in 6 days from WI to CO and back with offroad exploring included. Testament to good engineering with proper maintenance.

Always looking for adventures if anyone wants to plan a Yukon outing play date....LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-215609_Gaia GPS.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-215609_Gaia GPS.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220909_142659.jpg
    20220909_142659.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220911_112701.jpg
    20220911_112701.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220910_130038.jpg
    20220910_130038.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 7

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all! New to the group, but have enjoyed the forum for awhile from afar.

I have an 08 denali that I turned into my amateur overland truck.....I caught the bug 2 years ago after a NETFLIX series.

It is OEM. Factory suspension and tire size (265-65-18) handles gravel roads with ease. I've been to WY where the roads are mainly smooth gravel and 28 psi works well to go around 45 mph with good riding conditions. MO, KS,and NE roads as well (pony express overland route) were mostly gravel and easy to run on.

WI forest roads that are gravel with some whoop sections and washboard are easily traversed with the appropriate speed and tire pressure.

AZ & CO just this week and it was much different than what I had previously tackled. The roads can either be nice gravel/sand mix and smooth, or cobblestone awfulness that will rattle the truck apart. (Avoid Carson natl forest if you value your vehicle in 1 piece) I found it can also handle a trail that goes to 12000 ft elevation in the San Jaun Natl forest ( shorter red loop on RH screen shot. Hwy 550 is the western border). Steep, rocky, sharp corners, loose rocks, etc. It was pucker central for a little bit, not gonna lie.....especially traveling all by my lonesome. A 2 speed transfer case would be great, but 1st gear will be sufficient for the most part. Just make sure to give the brakes time to cool after steep sections.

Also did the CUMBERLAND PASS trail from hwy 50 south of Pitkin via 763, and then 765 north over the pass to Tincup. I would call it a semi-rough route with some nice smooth gravel sections, then washboard, small to medium rocky sections, and some sharp uphill curves.

If you air down the tires to help absorb energy, choose a good line, and don't be a speed demon, it actually works quite well. I do have the rear shocks refill after a serious articulation around steep corners once in awhile, but no failures or leaks. However, I was advised by more than 1 person that the low ground clearance and factory tire size can get you in trouble on other trails that are more technical. And, I don't disagree with them.

Put on 3200 miles in 6 days from WI to CO and back with offroad exploring included. Testament to good engineering with proper maintenance.

Always looking for adventures if anyone wants to plan a Yukon outing play date....LOL
Put at 2" lift on that thing and send it! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I lived in Colorado for 25 years and did a ton of 4wd trails there. I've owned 3 Land Rovers, an Isuzu Rodeo, a Suburban and 2 XL Denali's. Ground clearance on a stock Denali is insufficient for many of the trails, but a 2" lift would be enough for most of them without compromising ride quality too much. I had larger than stock tires on my Suburban and even that was enough to make a difference.

If I read your images right, you Tok yours over Black Bear Pass? If so, that's great! It's a pretty serious trail.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I have been considering a lift and one size larger tires. I usually try to stay as close to OEM as possible for longevity, ease of service, and lower operating costs. But, done right, modifications can be beneficial.

I don't think it was black bear pass (even though I'd like to take the credit) All I did in the San Juan was a short loop east of 550 that had old mine sites, high elevation grasslands, etc. After that I ran half way through the mountains from Ouray to Telluride. It was still quite technical for a first attempt. If I were in a group, I would be more daring and explore farther out. The whole "I need this to make it back 1000 miles home in one piece" makes for some nerve rattling and more subdued adventuring. Still awesome scenery and fun though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667