Anyone Off-Road their Yukon Denali with OEM suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc5339

Reaction score
Have been seriously considering Fox 2.5, 2.0 and Icon suspension setups to replace my OEM Autoride system (front/rear). I have 177k+ miles on the OEM suspension so I am considering either changing it out with Fox maybe Icon or just replacing OEM Autoride Z55 on my 2011 Yukon Denali AWD.

99.5% of the time I drive on good roads and highway, but planning to do Ophir Pass, Colorado as well as some light-moderate off-roading. I have no issues with the OEM suspension and enjoy the ride, just wondering if anyone has actually done any somewhat challenging off-road trails with the OEM Denali setup?

I understand the Fox or Icon setups will also get a little lift improving ground clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles somewhat. It does seem silly to spend more $$$ to "upgrade" to a more off-road setup I would only use 0.5% of the time, which will likely ruin or significantly degrade the nice ride I have now for 99.5% of the driving.

So, any of you Colorado guys or mountain guys take your stock Denali over some rough passes? I realize the lack of low-range transfer case is a larger issue than suspension and right height, but I have no intention of changing the transfer case/front diff, etc. so am focusing on what I plan to replace before this high mileage trip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
doc5339

doc5339

Reaction score
I overland my 2wd PPV. The biggest challenge I have is clearance.
Thanks, definitely realize the limitation of stock ride height clearances. Really curious how especially the rear Autoride air shocks due with rough off-roading in terms of articulation and potential air shock blow-outs. Have found very few resources of people actually off-roading their Denalis, LTZ, Escalades with the old self-leveling air suspension which makes sense as they came with 20" or 22" wheels and were marketed more as bling-bling SUVs.

I will probably remove the lower air dam, possible consider a Border Patrol trim, but mostly will try and avoid approach angles the old Denali can't handle.

Last edited:

Amaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some moderate offroading in my slt one speed transfer case. It's okay, for soft hill climbs and going through deep snow. But rock climbing and harsh stuff forget about it. I can't even get through some of the ally ways in my town without rubbing the bumper. If you got the highway gears unfortunately that's what there made for. Gm really stopped making a capable 4x4 from our gen.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, definitely realize the limitation of stock ride height clearances. Really curious how especially the rear Autoride air shocks due with rough off-roading in terms of articulation and potential air shock blow-outs. Have found very few resources of people actually off-roading their Denalis, LTZ, Escalades with the old self-leveling air suspension which makes sense as they came with 20" or 22" wheels and were marketed more as bling-bling SUVs.

I will probably remove the lower air dam, possible consider a Border Patrol trim, but mostly will try and avoid approach angles the old Denali can't handle.
Definitely on the air dam. I decided to do that before losing the hard way. Having the pushbar has kept me from doing a border patrol cut so far.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have been seriously considering Fox 2.5, 2.0 and Icon suspension setups to replace my OEM Autoride system (front/rear). I have 177k+ miles on the OEM suspension so I am considering either changing it out with Fox maybe Icon or just replacing OEM Autoride Z55 on my 2011 Yukon Denali AWD.

99.5% of the time I drive on good roads and highway, but planning to do Ophir Pass, Colorado as well as some light-moderate off-roading. I have no issues with the OEM suspension and enjoy the ride, just wondering if anyone has actually done any somewhat challenging off-road trails with the OEM Denali setup?

I understand the Fox or Icon setups will also get a little lift improving ground clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles somewhat. It does seem silly to spend more $$$ to "upgrade" to a more off-road setup I would only use 0.5% of the time, which will likely ruin or significantly degrade the nice ride I have now for 99.5% of the driving.

So, any of you Colorado guys or mountain guys take your stock Denali over some rough passes? I realize the lack of low-range transfer case is a larger issue than suspension and right height, but I have no intention of changing the transfer case/front diff, etc. so am focusing on what I plan to replace before this high mileage trip.
I lived in Colorado until mid 2020 and took my 2012 XL Denali over Mosquito Pass into Leadville from Alma. It has the stock suspension and AWD. No problem with suspension articulation on that trail, but a few times I had to have my wife spot me to keep from ripping off a running board. The factory suspension did reduce 'head-toss' significantly over a standard suspension, though. I've also driven that trail with a Land Rover Discovery II, an LR3, and an Isuzu Rodeo - all stock. And all 3 had low range, which came in handy.

In my opinion, if you're going to do much wheeling, you want to set it up for overlanding, with a lift, larger diameter A/T tires, rock sliders, and some bottom protection. At a minimum, you'll want to get rid of the air dams, running boards, and anything else that hangs low. I do think you could get by without a 2-speed transfer case because the 6L80 has a super-low 1st gear, but some guys do make that switch.

On Ophir Pass, you'll be fine with a stock setup. Lots of people do that one with only 2WD. I did it in 2019 with a stock Land Rover LR2 (basically a Volvo S60). But if you're going to venture into other passes in the San Juans, like Engineer Pass or Blackbear, Imogene, etc, then you want much more than stock.

Get a copy of Charles A. Wells' book for the region you're going to visit. He uses the standard 10-point difficulty scale in his guides. In my opinion, a stock AWD Denali can safely handle up to a level 3 without damage. Make the mods I suggest above and you can probably get into a level 5 trail, no problem. That is assuming you have a shorty and not an XL.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a guy on here 3-4 years ago with an AWD Yukon XL Denali who did lots of overlanding and camping out in the boonies. He shared some of his experiences with us and how to use AWD when off road. Don't remember his name but a search should turn up the posts.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a nice thread with some great ideas. It's an SLT, but still useful.

OP
OP
doc5339

doc5339

Reaction score
I lived in Colorado until mid 2020 and took my 2012 XL Denali over Mosquito Pass into Leadville from Alma. It has the stock suspension and AWD. No problem with suspension articulation on that trail, but a few times I had to have my wife spot me to keep from ripping off a running board. The factory suspension did reduce 'head-toss' significantly over a standard suspension, though. I've also driven that trail with a Land Rover Discovery II, an LR3, and an Isuzu Rodeo - all stock. And all 3 had low range, which came in handy.

In my opinion, if you're going to do much wheeling, you want to set it up for overlanding, with a lift, larger diameter A/T tires, rock sliders, and some bottom protection. At a minimum, you'll want to get rid of the air dams, running boards, and anything else that hangs low. I do think you could get by without a 2-speed transfer case because the 6L80 has a super-low 1st gear, but some guys do make that switch.

On Ophir Pass, you'll bee fine with a stock setup. Lots of people do that one with only 2WD. I did it in 2019 with a stock Land Rover LR2 (basically a Volvo S60). But if you're going to venture into other passes in the San Juans, like Engineer Pass or Blackbear, Imogene, etc, then you want much more than stock.

Get a copy of Charles A. Wells' book for the region you're going to visit. He uses the standard 10-point difficulty scale in his guides. In my opinion, a stock AWD Denali can safely handle up to a level 3 without damage. Make the mods I suggest above and you can probably get into a level 5 trail, no problem. That is assuming you have a shorty and not an XL.
Very informative, thanks! The last pass I did in Colorado was Imogene from Telluride to Ouray in a 2020 Defender 110 S; of course used low range extensively. I can't see my Denali doing Imogene. I was a bit concerned about the Denali doing Ophir (even though it's easy) because I understand most of these passes degrade over time and often get more difficult in the "easy" sections.

I plan to remove the air dam (lower valance), but will definitely not be doing hardcore stuff like rock rails. Your reply is making me lean towards keeping the Autoride; just replacing with OEM so they don't pop on the trail.

OP
OP
doc5339

doc5339

Reaction score
There was a guy on here 3-4 years ago with an AWD Yukon XL Denali who did lots of overlanding and camping out in the boonies. He shared some of his experiences with us and how to use AWD when off road. Don't remember his name but a search should turn up the posts.
Thanks, I contacted him (MrPeterClark). He sells GMT900 bumpers, roof racks, etc as well. He runs the Icon suspension on 33", though I think he's going up to 35".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne