Denali AWD driving off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes , I drive this thing off road.
I treat it like a truck.

Yes , I've gotten it stuck. To my surprise it does not act like a 4x4

2007 yukon denali xl.

It doesn't behave at all like any 4x4 I've ever driven. That aside , once I learned how to drive it off road its been quite capable. There are some very important differences though.

First, driving habits and obstacle strategies have to be very different. In a 4x4 it's common practice to "crawl" over things like ditches, rocks and creek beds. Or up inclines and hills.

In the AWD, that's a bad strategy. With no low range, it works better to try and "step" over the same obstacles. Slightly faster, but more constant speeds work much better.

And if you start to slip in a true 4x4 generally you hit the gas and hang on. But the AWD, instead keep a constant throttle and try to "step" out by maneuvering and letting the drive wheels switch back and forth

Second, driving habits are different. Instead of picking a path through a muddy stretch of road, pointing the truck in the general direction and dropping down the hammer and hanging on. In the AWD you need to pick your tracks more carefully. Use the throttle more strategically and if you do bog down DO NOT do the 4x4 thing and gun it. Instead : back off the throttle slightly and try to get traction. When you do feel it start to pull, increase throttle slowly.

All in all, these trucks are very capable off road. They are not 4x4s

But if you learn how to drive them, you can follow your 4x4 driving buddies anywhere they can go and do it in style.

I'm 42. I can easily get way off the beaten path in this thing. And do it without getting out to lock hubs or back up and whatnot to engage and disengage four wheel drive. I let the young guys do that!

I just kick back with my tunes, my climate control and drive.

And I get to the remote spot too.

I love this truck.

Reaction score
Do you disable traction control and Stabilitrak, does that help?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you disable traction control and Stabilitrak, does that help?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Disabling the traction control seems to make the switch from the front to rear axle and vice versa slower. Sort of helps in muddy ruts and stuff when you have to lay into the throttle more. I haven't noticed and difference really in the stable track.

The main thing is to drive to get where you want to go and not try to do something stupid. The AWD is not 4wheel drive. And when the young guys stop to try to see who gets stuck in a mud hole, I don't participate. But if I need to make it through that same mud hole, I'm just as capable.
Pick the path and drive.

Just drive to get there and save your rig as much of a beating as you can. And it'll get you there. Regardless of terrain.

It was a learning curve coming from a 4x4. But these are capable trucks when used correctly.

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The AWD is sort of constantly looking for traction. Whereas the 4x4 spins all four wheels simultaneously and the driver finds the traction. The AWD is always switching the driving wheels around to find the best traction.
That's why, I have found when you start spinning and lose traction , lay off the throttle and let it sort of "find its place" , then go from there.

It actually works quite well when driven correctly.

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll say this: another thread has this thing called "over landing" mentioned. Never heard of it before. But that's sort of what we do. My son in law drives a land rover discovery or his ram 4x4 and we go over landing basically.

Once I learned how to drive the denali AWD. I don't have any issue getting where we want to go. I've got way more room (me and the wife sleep in it) and way more comfort.

Andi can keep up with the kids and their toys just fine.

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Simple...

2 diffs>3 diffs

Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough, or smart enough, but I'll take my 4WD Suburban over my AWD Sierra Denali any day of the week, whether off-road or in snow.

I understand completely. I've driven both now extensively. And if you really want to grind it out, then the 4x4 is the way to go. If you want to play around in the local mudholes again the 4x4 is what you want.

But you show me a place you want to go, and i can get there too. With a Bose stereo, plenty of room and a pretty mature lady beside me who is traveling in comfort.

To each there own.

I've moved on.

OP
OP
D

Dingus mcghee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand completely. I've driven both now extensively. And if you really want to grind it out, then the 4x4 is the way to go. If you want to play around in the local mudholes again the 4x4 is what you want.

But you show me a place you want to go, and i can get there too. With a Bose stereo, plenty of room and a pretty mature lady beside me who is traveling in comfort.

To each there own.

I've moved on.

I do still like an old school 4x4 though.

Something about slinging mud belching steam and gear whine still turns me on.

I just don't like shoveling mud and carrying around rubber boots anymore.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different styles, priorities, and preferences for different folks.

Fortunately, we have the freedom to make those choices, and to pursue wherever makes us most happy and fulfilled.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

To each there own.

I've moved on.

I get there in style too with my 4x4, SLT not Denali style! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE