Any regrets when getting rid of OnStar and/or truck’s Wi-Fi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't y'all remotely start your engine with your fob, and avoid all the other stuff?

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
We turn on wifi in the summer for the kids. Apart from that, not worth the price.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't y'all remotely start your engine with your fob, and avoid all the other stuff?

yes...

keyfob works fine at the house - start it up and let it warm up/cool down....
if I have to wait until I'm within range for the keyfob to work anywhere else it's not going to be as beneficial as if I could use an app...definitely first world problems

I had the remote app access on a truck I recently purchased. Used it probably 10-15x over 6 months which is when the trial ran out. over half of those were just peace of mind door locking when I was way out of remote range.

MyChevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
eventually all gm vehicles will be "shared" only, you won't own one, that way they have you on the hook for good, you become they're monthly cash cow.
I have been using Android Auto with my Samsung Phone since free trial expired on my 2022 Tahoe. No issues with Nav or anything and I still received Onstar DIagnostics regularly. I had been a faithful Onstar customer from 2000 until my 2015 Tahoe which came with GM Nav which did not require Onstar.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Will you still able to use the navigation system without the Onstar?
Google Maps thru Apple Car Play is far superior to the OEM nav system. I never use the built-in Nav unless I have forgotten my cell phone. The factory Nav in both my Tahoes is inferior to Google Maps plus GM wants $150 for the annual map update. Ridiculous!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my '05 Yukon I unplugged the OnStar box and plugged in the Costar box. I can use the factory installed phone system just like Onstar ( and works through the radio still).... and it is free.
I wonder if you can use the box on newer models?

roggss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my '05 Yukon I unplugged the OnStar box and plugged in the Costar box. I can use the factory installed phone system just like Onstar ( and works through the radio still).... and it is free.
I wonder if you can use the box on newer models?
This is a good idea; I will try to look into it :)

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good idea; I will try to look into it :)
I hope they still make them... They discontinued it a couple years ago.... made a few more ( that's when I bought it)........ But with 3G gone, all older Onstar's are non functional..... Hopefully, they will make more.....
Called, " Blue Star II ", by 'COSTAR Technologies' www.costartech.com

All steering wheel & mirror buttons work still !!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had it, have unlimited data on phone, perfect for using Android Auto and Maps.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, we have a foul smell coming from the rear A/C in our 2019 Tahoe.
Found a couple of Youtube video showing rear A/C repair and noticed that the unit is located above the right rear wheel. There are some vents on the interior at this location, but it doesn't have a strong airflow. I tried to run the A/C on max and spray some Lysol here and it helped some. From images of the A/C unit I can't tell where the air intake is. Has anybody dealt with this problem before? Trying to take care of this without removing the interior panels.

My 21 Yukon and 21 Suburban have in dash navigation and it works fine. Just have to enter info at the screen in the car. I use Google maps/outlook calander through Apple Car Play so the factory Nav is pretty useless to me.
High roller baller with 2 brand new 2021s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove