Any regrets when getting rid of OnStar and/or truck’s Wi-Fi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skisanger98

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My navigation does not work in my 2022 Suburban unless I go through CarPlay. Unless you have the Vehicle WIFI the speed limit sign does not even work. I think it is terrible that GM makes you purchase, or the options do not work. My wife has another car make and we do not have to purchase the WIFI to get certain options to work.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My navigation does not work in my 2022 Suburban unless I go through CarPlay. Unless you have the Vehicle WIFI the speed limit sign does not even work. I think it is terrible that GM makes you purchase, or the options do not work. My wife has another car make and we do not have to purchase the WIFI to get certain options to work.

If your vehicle had factory navigation (my 2019 does not, only a huge compass if I press nav) the speed limits may be outdated I suppose, perhaps there is a "liability" issues as everyone sues for everything, and the only way General Motors will allow it now is with a live service that will update automatically without having to buy and load an update CD as with the prior generation navigation system.

With the old system the maps and speed limits can be outdated unless you purchase an update and I doubt very many people ever do that or even think to do that.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or they could have a system similar to Honda's which utilizes a camera...pass a speed limit sign and it changes.

my older one would play games with you every now and then, speed limit signs in construction areas were a problem...and no that's not in km

1664296370656.png

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Honda Odyssey utilizes a Garmin based navigation system with free updates and the speed limit sign is read by the vehicle's front cameras. Worlds ahead of GM's required-subscription setup.

Using the camera to read the speed signs eliminates all legal liability - those are the official government postings. If you get pulled over, it will be the sign the cop is referencing, not some online database; even a "live" service could screw something up.

Not sure if GM is colluding with OnStar on this to drive subscriptions; I know GM's cameras can read those signs. If not, maybe GM should spare a few engineers to learn from Honda's programmers while since the two companies are already collaborating on EV development.

Just50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 21 Yukon and 21 Suburban have in dash navigation and it works fine. Just have to enter info at the screen in the car. I use Google maps/outlook calander through Apple Car Play so the factory Nav is pretty useless to me.
The 2022 models require an active OnStar/Hot Spot subscription to continue to use the in-dash navigation system and Google functionalities. I have to agree that the cost of OnStar AND the Hot Spot collectively is crazy.

I just use Apple Auto / Android Auto at this point. I functions better anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts