Any regrets when getting rid of OnStar and/or truck’s Wi-Fi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Will you still able to use the navigation system without the Onstar?
not sure now it is on the 21+ but on my 18 it has onstar nav only, I can add a module and have factory nav without onstar. just depended on the option that was added or not when it was built. The retrofit if I did it myself would run me about $600 or so.
like the poster above, I use android auto or a real GPS both have voice command and factory nav is pretty much useless to me as well.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure now it is on the 21+ but on my 18 it has onstar nav only, I can add a module and have factory nav without onstar. just depended on the option that was added or not when it was built. The retrofit if I did it myself would run me about $600 or so.
like the poster above, I use android auto or a real GPS both have voice command and factory nav is pretty much useless to me as well.
My K2 has onboard nav. It’s kinda a PITA to use, plus I’ve gotten used to other nav programs on my tablet.

roggss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, as long as a in dash navigation will still work, I am good.
I will be cancelling mine now. :)

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, as long as a in dash navigation will still work, I am good.
I will be cancelling mine now. :)
The digital cluster and Heads up display will only work for certain apps through carplay. Waze thru carplay, for example, will not show the next direction on the heads up display.

Jettix2

Reaction score
I cancelled our Onstar after the trial period for our ‘22. The GPS speed limit signs on the cluster went to - -

I added back the lower priced $29.99 data connectivity plan. Nope, didn’t get GPS speed limits back.

Went back to the $49.99 plan and they work now. What a scam. Going to use for 2 road trips this fall and then deactivate it again.

Brand0n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only regret I have is due to the annoying pop ups at start up about needing a connected plan, and it asking me to upload my contacts to google. Every. Time.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got burnt out on Onstar after they basically lied to us on a renewal. Good reduced price and I asked plainly to confirm it was the same plan with all the functions. Rep said yes, exactly the same. A couple days later I tried some of the remote stuff and it didn't work. Made a call and all I got was a pitch for an ungraded plan. Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me. And we only used the service two or three times in the five years that we actually had it. See the little green light is still on but I'd like to kill it totally.

OP
OP

66 Galaxie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My month of free Wi-Fi ends in a week so I’ll see how it changes things.

I’ll also see if I can successfully use my phone as a hotspot to supply the Tahoe with a data connection.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google maps and android auto works for navigating. I have no need for onstar at all, that I can see. But I have a 22 Tahoe LS, the base model, might be different with a more feature rich upscale version, that includes nav.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was cheaper to upgrade my phone plan than buy wifi from GM. TMO bumped me to full speed unlimited data for $10 month per line. I upped mine and my wife's line so we will hot spot our daughters if they get close to their limit.

Waze is better than GM nav anyways.

The only thing that ****** me off is the 5 year limitation on the remote app for starting the car, unlocking etc. Thats $7.99 a month just for the app to function. Not worth it in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts