Burb shakes when braking - INTERMITTENT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TL;DR I have an intermittent shake (front to back) when I hit the brakes. Feels like a bent rotor but its not the brakes.

Full Story

Back in September I did a bunch of work to the truck - supercharger, torque converter, new driveshaft, Wilwood BBK up front, all the supporting mods etc. For a couple of months the truck just ran with no issues, like it was supposed to. Around November I started getting a front to back shake when I hit the brakes. It feels like a certain part or the brake pad is grabbing the rotor harder than the rest as it rotates. Didn't happen all the time but you could feel it. I thought at the time it was the back brakes. The pads were really low (62k on the truck) and there was some scoring on the rotors. Figured it was a simple fix.

Swapped out the OEM parts with Stop Tech rotors and new pads. Same issue. Kinda odd. Drove on them for about a month and then took it to the mechanic that's been handling all the mods on my truck. He wanted me to get replacement calipers and start over with everything new to make sure, and he also suggested I get steel lines for the rear as well. He let me order whatever I wanted. I went with the PowerStop rear kit which included calipers rotors pads and I ordered the steel brake line kit also just for the rear lines since the Wilwoods came with braided lines.

All that work was done and she is still doing the shake. The connecting ties on the front sway bar were also replaced with poly cause they were looking worn. Lastly, replaced the rear tires with a brand new set (05/13/22) cause the ones out back looked to be dry rotting. Front tires were done 6 months ago so all 4 tires have less than 7000 miles on them.

Its still shaking. *sigh* Again its intermittent. I can cruise the highway at 80mph, smooth as glass and as soon as I touch the brake pedal the shaking hits in. The harder I press the more violent it gets. Other times I can be diving into a corner on an off ramp, jump on the pedal and she slows down without any feedback in the truck. It comes and goes on the same drive and its driving me insane cause I am not seeing any issues otherwise. Obviously there is something going on but neither me nor my mechanic want to keep throwing money at parts that aren't going to solve the issue.

Mechanic checked the new PowerStop calipers to make sure they weren't seized, he mic'd the rotors and make sure they where perfectly flat. There's no slack in the drive train; the new driveshaft was done by a very reputable speed shop who my mechanic has used for a long time with never an issue. The wheels are true; high speed balance on the tires; no bends in the wheels; hubs checked to make sure they were true also. I also bought a heat gun, did some very spirited braking, and took the temps of the rotors. Did this a few times. I'm averaging 120 degrees up front and about 90 degrees out back. So the brakes are doing their jobs and dissipating the heat as expected. The calipers are clocking in at lower temps than the rotors which is to be expected so I have to believe the brakes are NOT the cause of the issue.

This shaking isn't coming through the brake pedal or through the steering wheel like ABS feedback or a bad front rotor - you feel it in the seat and the truck reverberates throughout - dash, steering wheel, and the passengers feel it too. We are both leaning towards a possible suspension issue. However there are so many other possibilities. Speed sensors on the wheels? ABS? Suspension? Could I need an adjustable proportioning valve? Wheel bearing? Possible issue in the carrier? We keep thinking suspension because maybe the "intermittent-ness" depends on the load of the truck on the suspension. I tried testing this theory by making shaper turns while braking, trying to shift the load of the truck by hitting pot holes (I know...), jerking the wheel and then braking etc. Again, its no rhyme or reason, right hand turn at high speed - sometimes the shake, and other times not. Then again, this is seat of the pants and its hard to replicate turns and braking pedal pressure.

I don't want to throw good money after bad but I need this resolved and I'm at wits end on this one. I know we just had a thread from a Yukon owner with a similar issue, but everything that was throwing his truck off, I've already replaced with new parts, plus a full brake fluid flush. Any suggestion from someone smarter than me would certainly be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

skidaddytn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
>However there are so many other possibilities. Speed sensors on the wheels? ABS? Suspension? Could I need an adjustable proportioning valve? Wheel bearing?

Definitely check everything easy first. Wheel bearings are easy to check by jacking up each corner and checking for any side-side up-down play in the wheel. Usually you can hear a bad wheel bearing when turning, but I've had one go bad that was near silent. It caused steering wheel shake at higher speeds.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@fozzi58 I currently have a similar symptom I'm experiencing with my '15 Yukon XL Denali 6.2/8-speed. I too have Wilwood BBK on all 4 corners and it is not the brakes.

quick notes:
- Currently at 131K miles
- OEM Upper & Lower Control Arms w/ New Ball Joints replaced at about 115K
- OEM MRC shocks & struts at about 90K - currently no leaks
- Inner & Outer Tie Rods replaced at 115K
- Hotchkis front & rear swaybars and new endlinks at 110K
- Wilwood Front TX6R kit is <30K miles

Everything is tightened up and torque's as it should be. We've checked the front brakes more than once and the calipers are working as they should and rotors are in great shape.

My shake doesn't resonate from the front and to the back though; Mine seems to just be isolated to the front end area. But like you it's intermittent, driving me nuts that it's not consistent and easy to duplicate = hard to diagnose and figure out the true cause.

I have heard that GM did some updates to some of the front-end steering parts in 2017+ K2XX SUVs. Specifically with some revised steering gear bushings and potentially a revised Steering Gear Assembly.
Steering Gear Assembly GM# 84774227
Steering Gear Bushings GM# 84234960
The new Steering Gear Assembly does come with the updated bushings (2).

The Steering Gear Assembly is a rather expensive part and it is worth noting to my understanding must be programmed and setup to the vehicle by a dealer and I am not sure if the vehicle is drivable without being programmed. i.e. I am not sure if this could be removed/replaced yourself and then driven to a dealership to have them program and set-up after installed?

Another common source of "steering play" is the tilt coupler in the steering shaft in the steering column. You can hold the bottom still with a screwdriver and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to see if there’s any play there. If this coupler is worn it would require replacement of the steering column. It is the steering shaft inside the steering column and the play happens where the column tilts.

I currently do not have any play in my steering wheel though and I'm not positive on what exactly to check specifically in the Steering Gear Assembly.

Unfortunately I don't have much additional insight or direction to add at this time. I just figured I'd post up my current experience/symptoms since they appear to be similar to what you've got going on and we have similar brake and suspension mods.

Subscribed for additional input and potential solutions.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@CMoore711
Thanks for the insight. I will def have all the steering components checked. Never thought about that. My mechanic is leaning toward suspension as a possibility. While I have the Hotchkis bars and new end links, I haven't done any of the other bushing replacements and I know I'm overdue for shocks/struts as well (coming up on 80k).

I did some more high speed testing on Monday (05/16/22) and when I let go of the steering wheel and jam on the brakes from about 85mph, the steering wheels moves back and forth just a little in sync with the front to back vibes. It also tends to pull to the right slightly. It was fairly consistent when I applied pressure to the pedal.

If I jam the brake and let off a couple of times, I can apply firm pressure and the shake goes away. Not consistently but its somewhat controllable. I also picked up a couple of cap stones for a wall I am putting together. They were about 125lbs each, had 2 of them - both in the very rear of the truck. The brake shake was consistent the whole time with that weight towards the rear most of the truck. I've driven with the wife and kids and the shake comes and goes. With all the extra weight in the very back of the truck, it was 100% consistent.

I'd be curious if you threw a couple of sandbags or weights in the very back would you have the same (or have had the same) consistency as I have?

If nothing else I feel your pain. This is infuriating. If I make any progress I will post and hopefully it will help you out. Conversely, I would appreciate the same reciprocation. Thanks.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, pinion angle changes under braking.
I'm aware of that, but that would also mean I should have had this shaking since the day the new driveshaft was installed. That coincides with the Whipple, torque converter, brakes etc and when it was first complete, there were no issues for about 2 months of daily driving. That first 2 months included a round trip to Virginia (1000 miles) and multiple trips to our vacation home which about 150 miles round trip, plus local driving.

I suspect that one of the pistons in the Wilwood calipers might be hanging up, intermittently. Since there are many and they are smaller, it may not cause a pull.
We haven't pulled the front calipers off to check this. When I saw your post, I reached out to Wilwood tech support to see if they had a way to diagnose this without completely disassembling the caliper. Unfortunately my request has gone unanswered. Definitely something we will look into cause I cant leave any stones unturned.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't take long to remove driveshaft and feel for binding in U joints. Just Sayin. Leave no stone unturned and start with symtoms . Happens with braking. Brakes mostly eliminatated unless stuck caliper and you havent shot them for heat immediately after occurance. If it were suspension, rough road would be hard to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts