Another option…2011 Chevy Tahoe 85k miles - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really the only thing I would be concerned with is was it garage kept? If it wasn’t garage kept, that paint is probably ruined from baking in the sun. Otherwise, with only 42k miles there should be next to nothing wrong with it and I’d pay all the money.

I REALLY wish I had waited and paid more for a lower mileage truck. There’s currently a private seller Escalade ESV Platinum near me with only 85k miles that looks like it was garage kept for $30k. I’ve easily spent more than $10k on mine fixing all the issues from the paint to the beat interior.
I honestly don’t know if it were garage kept. It was an auction vehicle the dealer bought. Unfortunately it’s too far away from me to swing by and inspect. There’s plenty of risk involved and I may just butt the bullet and go to see what’s what.

I just know myself and if I’m making a trip I’m coming back with a Yukon. Ha!

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really the only thing I would be concerned with is was it garage kept? If it wasn’t garage kept, that paint is probably ruined from baking in the sun. Otherwise, with only 42k miles there should be next to nothing wrong with it and I’d pay all the money.

I REALLY wish I had waited and paid more for a lower mileage truck. There’s currently a private seller Escalade ESV Platinum near me with only 85k miles that looks like it was garage kept for $30k. I’ve easily spent more than $10k on mine fixing all the issues from the paint to the beat interior.
Out of curiosity, $10k sounds like a ton in repair work… what were the major issues you’ve dealt with??

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
@SFreedom97
By looking at the air shock I can say the air compressor is shot. The shocks might be aswell, the air bladder is not supposed to be inside it self like the picture you posted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-214308_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-214308_Chrome.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 13

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A nine year old car is going to have some issues regardless of mileage. It's still a seller's market. If you are not willing to accept it as is at that price or close to it, someone else will.

I always budget $3-5K to bring a new purchase up to my standards.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For 30k that dash needs a new GM replacement installed. 30k needs to be completely perfect with zero flaws. New tires, brakes etc.

Little car dealers don’t do work to their cars that isn’t required to make them run or pass emissions. Even before this seller’s market they won’t negotiate much and are just fine to sit on the car until the right buyer comes along that will take it as it is. This is why I generally will only buy from new car dealers or private individuals. But since these trucks are all of the age where most of them are at little car dealer, you have to do what you have to do to get something like this.

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget to check them engine hours if you get a chance.. I highly doubt it’ll be an issue but I was duped into buying a 08 express van with 40k ish miles for a good price. Overall the van is decent but i didn’t know it had close to 8000 hours on it. Had to crack the engine open for repairs around 65k. Not happy about at

If you check out the first post on this thread https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/07-14-engine-hours-to-mileage-comparisons.139141/

You’ll see the only other person who has 8000 hours has about 400k miles on their truck. So that should tell you how much mine sat idling.

Good luck I hope you get a good one

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, $10k sounds like a ton in repair work… what were the major issues you’ve dealt with??

Since it’s your thread and you asked, I'll answer even though it's off topic. I've actually probably spent more than $10k, but I'm trying to convince myself otherwise.

Steering Column
Steering Wheel
Intermediate Shaft
Transmission Filter
Rear Shocks (mag ride $$)
Brake Flush
Axle Seals
Front Brakes
Rear Brakes
All Control Arms (front and rear + Spohn panhard bar)
Engine Mounts
Left Front Door Latch
Rear Main Seal Housing, Oil Pan Gasket, Pickup Tube O-Ring, Oil Cooler Lines
Transmission Mount
Used Low Mileage Steering Gear w/ New Tie-Rods
Used Low-ish Differential Assembly (don't think it fixed anything)
Oil Pressure Sensor
Console Lid
Cup Holder Trim
Bought and Resold Many Trim Pieces (to keep the best ones for myself)
Used Left Front Door Panel
Front and Middle Carpet
Used 42k Mile Front Seats (originals had leather in terrible shape, lumbar broken, seat track noisy)
Transmission Cooler Lines
Repainted Hood, Roof, Both Front Fenders, Replace Front Bumper, Replace Grilles, Changed to PTM Premium Pieces (this was $5k+)
New GM Windshield
All Four Window Appliques
3M Clear Bra on Bumper and Headlights
3M Crystalline Window Tint All Around
Front Door Opening and Roof Rail Weatherstrips
Used Wheels from a Newer Truck & New Michelin Tires
Billet Torque Converter and Sonnax Zip Kit
Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft
Radiator, All Hoses, Surge Tank
Fuel Pump
VLOM
Water Pump
Booster and Master Cylinder
Spark Plugs and PCM of NC Tune

I didn't even include modifications like the lowering kit, Brembo brake kit, etc. and I left a few things off I replaced again with different parts. And the transmission still doesn't seem "right," so I'll probably be replacing that sometime this year. Plus, the second-row seat covers also look terrible, so I've got new covers to go on once we're done with destructive car seats.

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@SFreedom97
By looking at the air shock I can say the air compressor is shot. The shocks might be aswell, the air bladder is not supposed to be inside it self like the picture you posted.
Any idea what one would cost to convert over to coils and springs entirely to get out of the air shock aspect of a Yukon? I googled and saw a set for $750 for the parts. I’m not one to do this myself….

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don’t forget to check them engine hours if you get a chance.. I highly doubt it’ll be an issue but I was duped into buying a 08 express van with 40k ish miles for a good price. Overall the van is decent but i didn’t know it had close to 8000 hours on it. Had to crack the engine open for repairs around 65k. Not happy about at

If you check out the first post on this thread https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/07-14-engine-hours-to-mileage-comparisons.139141/

You’ll see the only other person who has 8000 hours has about 400k miles on their truck. So that should tell you how much mine sat idling.

Good luck I hope you get a good one
Great point. Didn’t even think to ask him to show me what the engine hours are. I’ll get him to do so and report back.

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Little car dealers don’t do work to their cars that isn’t required to make them run or pass emissions. Even before this seller’s market they won’t negotiate much and are just fine to sit on the car until the right buyer comes along that will take it as it is. This is why I generally will only buy from new car dealers or private individuals. But since these trucks are all of the age where most of them are at little car dealer, you have to do what you have to do to get something like this.
This is a solid point. This Yukon is indeed at a smaller dealership and not a large new car dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900