Another option…2011 Chevy Tahoe 85k miles - thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dash is cracked by the passenger air bag.
Does the entire dash need to be replaced? I have read that the dash cracking can be common.... What's the estimated cost of that? What causes the cracking? Such an odd "issue" in these.....

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dash is cracked by the passenger air bag.
You beat me to it LOL. I saw that right away and had to zoom in. Luckily though, that area is easy to glue/epoxy back up.

Since the center isn't cracked yet, I would recommend reinforcing the area below the speaker if the OP ends up buying it. By reinforcing I mean removing the cover and speaker (super easy with a pick and (2) 7mm bolts) and installing a piece of semi-firm foam under the speaker on top of the plastic ducting. I've done this on 2 different yukons with the cracked dash and have had good luck in preventing the damage from getting worse. If you watch the speaker on a rough road you'll see why it cracks there.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the entire dash need to be replaced? I have read that the dash cracking can be common.... What's the estimated cost of that? What causes the cracking? Such an odd "issue" in these.....
If you want it to look original, then yes it needs to be replaced. There are covers you can get, but I think they look cheesy. To each their own I guess.

It's not an easy job. Last I heard it pays about 7 hours labor to do the job? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But with parts and labor you're no far off from what @iamdub stated above.

It can be fixed with epoxy and some handy work if you're inclined

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is very common in areas of high heat like down south and out west. The design is chinsy in that there aren't proper gussets molded I to the areas that have higher weight loads to distribute. If you remove that center speaker and look down inside, there's nothing holding that thing. It just floats on the panel.........and vibrates with sound and road noise until it fatigues the easiest areas which are by the airbag, the center by the speaker, and the area behind the instrument cluster.

Plus, I think the plastic is too thin, and maybe not the proper material to withstand getting baked in the sun a lot.

Maybe they should've used the recipe from PLAYSKOOL....that stuff never wears out! LOL

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Nailed it.

My shorthanded opinion is it's half the cost of any comparable model of a more recent generation, but more reliable, especially where it matters… Being a 2014, it's the latest and greatest of the GMT900 platform… $30K seems a tad high for it being nine years and three generations old. But… I think there's some decent negotiating room there.

It’s in Denali trim for 2014 so HDD Navi (hard drive). Integrated A2DP BT for music steaming is a $69 clip in plus it already has BT phone. The back up cam has grid lines. Is it AWD or RWD?

Cracked dash can be handled as an upgrade like GM did on Platinum Escalades. They farmed out interior pieces to Dräxlmaier of Germany who, here in the States, covered OEM panels and dash with leather. Once the dash crack is repaired, cover with high UV leather and reinstall. My 09 leather Platinum dash is still in new condition.

Plug the VIN into this website and it will list all the options as well as calculate its rarity.

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's feedback.... there's certainly a lot to consider with the knowledge shared. At some point, it becomes paralysis by analysis. Ha! I asked for some undercarriage pics (along with a close up of the cracked dash) and here's what was shared for what it's worth. I look forward to the analysis here from what's visible:

imagejpeg_0.JPG

imagejpeg_0.JPGResized_Resized_20230128_092051.JPEGimagejpeg_0.JPGimagejpeg_0.JPG

OP
OP
S

SFreedom97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
and here are a couple more since it wouldn't let me upload any more than 5 (not the best of pics, but curious if your eagles eyes spot anything else....)

imagejpeg_0.JPGResized_Resized_20230128_102541.JPEGResized_Resized_20230128_102454.JPEG

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really the only thing I would be concerned with is was it garage kept? If it wasn’t garage kept, that paint is probably ruined from baking in the sun. Otherwise, with only 42k miles there should be next to nothing wrong with it and I’d pay all the money.

I REALLY wish I had waited and paid more for a lower mileage truck. There’s currently a private seller Escalade ESV Platinum near me with only 85k miles that looks like it was garage kept for $30k. I’ve easily spent more than $10k on mine fixing all the issues from the paint to the beat interior.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork