2011 Chevy Tahoe “Tug issues”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went from Sacramento ca to Santa Cruz ca on a trip with the kids. Cam hoe today and it was stop and go. When I would speed up then slow and then speed up again around 20 miles an hour it would jerk twice feeling that tug. Some times it was pronounced more than others. Once o accelerated then it was fine. I had to think if this has occurred before and yes in the last couple of weeks it has been tugging lightly. My first thought was transmission. Then I noticed that it was going the rug I g during the active fuel management (AFM). I will say that it was on the 680 freeway that was stop go with limited speed for a combined hour. When I filled up the car with gas it seemed better. Lastly getting the Tahoe up to speed is loud with duel exhaust but it’s lauded than usual.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Thank you

Ken

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the spelling. Long day

Ken
Ken, I'd recommend you edit your title from '2011' which doesn't tell anyone scanning the forum page anything about your issue (tugging, jerking upon acceleration) and perhaps edit the main body of the post to fix your spelling errors so it's clear as to what you're trying to say.

That said, stick a scan tool to see if you have any misfire or related ignition system codes as they certainly cause your issues. The transmission can also be the source of the 'tugging' however if it's transmission, the terms used would be 'slipping' or 'flaring' which can be either valve body, TECHM or case components including worn, damaged friction discs due to leaks in the apply circuit leaks.

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the slipping happens during 20
Mph acceleration. I was in the freeway with. Lot of stop and go moderate speeds.

Ken

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already make sure your trans fluid level is good. No check engine lights on the dash? Do you have access to a good code scanner?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the slipping happens during 20
Mph acceleration. I was in the freeway with. Lot of stop and go moderate speeds.

Ken
This sounds like your having issues either in 2nd or 3rd gear. Next time you take it for a drive, try to determine exactly when it happens; in other words from which gear to which gear does the slipping or 'tugging' take place.

If it's only happening in a certain range of road speeds (say 20-25 mph) then I'd lean away from it being a misfire or something else wrong with the engine and suspect the transmission.

If you have a scan tool that provides live data feeds of the transmission's activity, you can plug that in, take it for a drive and either you or a passenger monitor the transmission to see exactly what it's doing throughout the drive cycle. If it keeps happening (and it's sourced in the transmission), your input and output speed sensor data will eventually deviate enough from the spec values in the trans control tables that you'll begin to see "P" series codes, and in this particular case, gear ratio error codes like P0761, etc. The codes will point to a particular solenoid (i.e. Sol A, B, C, etc) and cite performance or 'stuck on/stuck off' but requires TEHCM testing/diag to confirm or deny what's actually triggering the code. Often times it's not the solenoid(s) in the TEHCM but in the valve body or inside the case (drum leaking, piston cracking leading to clutch pack burn up).

OP
OP
The Grey Beast

The Grey Beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the spark plugs replaced by my mechanic. Fluids replaced including the transmission . Chevy took a look at it and replaced a part and found wires were touching and overheating in the engine. My mechanic and Chevy mechanics are competent and I feet it’s something internal. My guess its AFM issues which could lead into other areas. My first guess was transmission. Not a mechanic but I’ve felt this before over 30 years of driving.

I tried buying a scanner but the purchase on line fell through. Do you have any make and model scanner you recommend. Place to purchase that does live scanning/analysis?

Thank you

Very helpful.

Ken

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz