AFM Lifter Failure Average Mileage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdebacker

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to install a full DOD delete and cam from Texas Speed & Performance before the lifters go out, but I need to know when can I expect the lifters to fail?

My 2017 Suburban 5.3 is sitting at ~85k miles right now and I'm wanting to save up for a full camshaft/DOD delete kit/reseal before it gives me issues.

I do a lot of highway driving so I rack up the miles fairly fast. I've already put 20k miles on it since I bought it in late September, with another 5k planned by the end of May, so I'll be well over 100k in a year or so.

I use Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20 and the matching Amsoil oil filter along with oil change intervals usually between 7500 and 8500 miles.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s like the lottery. nobody knows.
could be at 25 miles could be 75000 miles or never or more than once. a full delete will remove the lottery part and being proactive could save you some money.

On a 2017 you have some options.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I was a livery driver in NY / NJ / CT / PA, although over half of the miles were accrued in Manhattan.
The vehicle in question was a 2012 GMC Yukon XL with a flex-fuel 5.3L V8.
In an attempt to improve city MpG, I had a tuner INCREASE the V4 duty cycle.
V4 mode was made available whenever the road speed went over 21MpH.

I put over 185K miles on that Yukon XL in roughly five years.
Oil consumption became a problem, usually had to add 2 quarts between every oil change.
The lifters never failed, likely because the motor oil was changed 8x a year.
The additional oil consumption hints (to me) that the rings of the colder V4 cylinders wore the bores slightly.

Since it was a lease, I can't say I regret taking even more advantage of V4 mode than GM originally intended.
Had I intended to keep that vehicle, allowing ANY V4 mode enablement would have been a mistake.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, I was a livery driver in NY / NJ / CT / PA, although over half of the miles were accrued in Manhattan.
The vehicle in question was a 2012 GMC Yukon XL with a flex-fuel 5.3L V8.
In an attempt to improve city MpG, I had a tuner INCREASE the V4 duty cycle.
V4 mode was made available whenever the road speed went over 21MpH.

I put over 185K miles on that Yukon XL in roughly five years.
Oil consumption became a problem, usually had to add 2 quarts between every oil change.
The lifters never failed, likely because the motor oil was changed 8x a year.
The additional oil consumption hints (to me) that the rings of the colder V4 cylinders wore the bores slightly.

Since it was a lease, I can't say I regret taking even more advantage of V4 mode than GM originally intended.
Had I intended to keep that vehicle, allowing ANY V4 mode enablement would have been a mistake.
How did you not get robbed by the excess mileage as a Livery driver?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if your plan is to wait until just before the V4 components fail, it'd be wise to DISABLE V4 mode NOW.
That will delay the failure of the V4 mode stuff because it will never go into V4 mode.

I firmly believe - even though my Yukon XL spent far more time than GM intended - that the lifters did not fail because I changed the oil 8x a year.

The other thing I'd do is decide between a 3.23 and a 3.42 axle, and install that upgrade at first convenience.
Yes this requires a tune for best results.
The tune and the axle gear upgrade are among the best mods possible for any vehicle, especially these big suvs.

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
I'm
Even if your plan is to wait until just before the V4 components fail, it'd be wise to DISABLE V4 mode NOW.
That will delay the failure of the V4 mode stuff because it will never go into V4 mode.

I firmly believe - even though my Yukon XL spent far more time than GM intended - that the lifters did not fail because I changed the oil 8x a year.

The other thing I'd do is decide between a 3.23 and a 3.42 axle, and install that upgrade at first convenience.
Yes this requires a tune for best results.
The tune and the axle gear upgrade are among the best mods possible for any vehicle, especially these big suvs.
I'm soon going to get a tune from Blackbear to disable the AFM and recalibrate for the 33s I'm about to install. I have the factory towing package so it has 3.42 from the factory. With 33s I almost debate putting in 3.73s since I'm wanting to tow, but I do a lot of highway miles with just people in my Burb so I'll keep the 3.42s for now

The reason I gotta save up is because I'm wanting to do an engine-out refresh with the full cam, head gaskets, head bolts, springs, lifters, etc when I do the delete. Later on I'd also like to have the trans removed and have a better torque converter installed since the 6L80s have that issue, too.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm soon going to get a tune from Blackbear to disable the AFM and recalibrate for the 33s I'm about to install.
I have the factory towing package so it has 3.42 from the factory.
With 33s I almost debate putting in 3.73 since I'm wanting to tow, but I do a lot of highway miles with just people in my Burb so I'll keep 3.42 for now
If the highway miles are mostly flat ground, stick with 3.42, despite the 33" tires.

If the highway miles are mostly uphill & or downhill, I'd personally advise 3.73.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish