AFM and lifter issue advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve34459

Reaction score
2010 yukon denali owned for 2 years and have had to deal with lifter knocking 2 times, in the last 15 months. Most likely gonna get rid of it. Was not aware that the AFM could be disabled. For those who disabled the AFM, have you had the lifters mess up as frequently? Also, how would i go about deactivating the AFM. thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could disable AFM from engaging by using the Range plug-in thing, a handheld tuner (Not all have this feature), or a custom tune. This just keeps the PCM from activating it, but the mechanical components are still there.

You can totally delete AFM by replacing the lifters, valley cover and a couple other parts with non-AFM counterparts. A tune would be needed to turn it off in the PCM as well. This is the best way and it sounds like the route you should take since your lifters may already be failing and simply turning it off electronically may not be sufficient.

OP
OP
S

steve34459

Reaction score
You could disable AFM from engaging by using the Range plug-in thing, a handheld tuner (Not all have this feature), or a custom tune. This just keeps the PCM from activating it, but the mechanical components are still there.

You can totally delete AFM by replacing the lifters, valley cover and a couple other parts with non-AFM counterparts. A tune would be needed to turn it off in the PCM as well. This is the best way and it sounds like the route you should take since your lifters may already be failing and simply turning it off electronically may not be sufficient.

so, if I get OEM lifters and replace the ones that "broke", hopefully cam isnt damaged like last time, i cant just "tune" and deactivate AFM. I need some kind of aftermarket parts?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace just the failing/failed AFM lifters if you want and it may be fine like that. It'd be stock with AFM still functional. If you still wanted to just disable the AFM, you could do so with one of the tuning options. Personally, if I had to pull the heads to replace a failed and/or damaged lifter(s), I'd just as soon go a little further and replace the cam with a non-AFM model since I'm already into it that deep. Drop in 8 or 16 regular lifters and reassemble. Have the AFM tuned out and never have to worry about it again.

No aftermarket parts are necessary to delete AFM. Just the OEM non-AFM parts. You can buy them in a kit from Texas Speed (HERE). The standard OEM lifters are on national backorder so the next cheapest option is 8 Chevrolet Performance lifters. You would just need to add your non-AFM cam of choice. Stock take-out cams from non-AFM motors are cheap and should be readily available on most any GM truck/LS forum.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 135k I had lifter failure on my burb. Had everything repaired and afm lifters put back in, custom tune installed that disabled the afm and 50k miles and 5+ years later I've had 0 lifter issues to date ***knock on wood***

OP
OP
S

steve34459

Reaction score
At 135k I had lifter failure on my burb. Had everything repaired and afm lifters put back in, custom tune installed that disabled the afm and 50k miles and 5+ years later I've had 0 lifter issues to date ***knock on wood***

nice, this yukon has about 90k and lifters broke twice in the last 15 months. is a daily driver. "bought used" exactly 2 years ago.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice, this yukon has about 90k and lifters broke twice in the last 15 months. is a daily driver. "bought used" exactly 2 years ago.
My 07 is wife's DD as well. I've been happy since the tune and getting rid of afm. I've heard good things about the range device too if you're just after disabling afm and don't care about performance enhancements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack

Latest posts