Lifter, Cam Swap Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man that it tried to start is what gets me. if it was 180* out. I might have to popped a bit thru the intake? that sounded like it tried to start for a second and then friction killed it.

that's rough, but with that much noise, I'm pretty sure you're going to find it pretty quickly once taken apart.

you could try turning the motor over by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley and no plugs in it. see what you feel.

Trina

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007.5 GMC Yukon SLT.

Quick Story: did a cam swap and now it won’t crank up. It makes an almost clattering noise and won’t catch. I don’t want to keep trying to crank it on.

Long story:

About a year ago, I started having the lifter tick issue but was able to temporarily fix it by spraying some seafoam down the rocker arms (breaking it up topside) and a motor flush (to hit the bottom end).

That fixed the issue until a couple months ago, driving home, the check engine light came on. Cylinder 8 misfire.

Took it to a local shop, they quoted me ~$2.8k to replace the AFM/DOD lifters. Another shop I talked to told me it would just happen again and I needed to look into AFM/DOD delete. He quoted me a little less than $8k to do it (along with some other necessary upgrades - which I agreed with him on those).

When it comes down to it, I’m cheap, don’t trust anyone and would rather do it myself.

Bought Black Bear Performance Tune for the computer side of the delete. Grabbed an AMS Racing AFM/DOD delete kit with a stage 2 cam and new beehive valve springs. (Hopefully pictures I added show up).

View attachment 403023

Using the Hanes service manual and YouTube University… I managed to tear the engine down, swap everything out and get it all back together. (Minus a few small mental breakdowns and rage moments). This was over two off days and three days off after work working on it.

Unfortunately when I went to start it, it slowly started to crank and cut off. Started it again and it made this wild clattering sound from what sounds like the cam or crankshaft? (I’ll post a video of it).

Clattering Noise on Start Up

I’m thinking I didn’t properly set the cam position actuator and timing chain in at TDC but I wanted to see if anyone else has ever had this issue.

Since I have to remove quite a bit to get to it, I’d like to check all the troubleshooting boxes while I’m in there.
While you are at it make sure to put a genuine gm head gasket. The one from AMS racing was cheap Chinese crap and failed in 2 places 6 months after doing delete on 13 suburban.

OP
OP
drastevenson

drastevenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I can confirm that the timing was off. Got in there, stripped everything out, and inspected it. Only damage was a couple bent push rods, I got very lucky on that.
IMG_9938.jpeg

Took my time putting it back together. And went to start it..

First try, it cranked and then died.
Second try, ol gal started right up.

It’s idling pretty rough though. I let it run for about 30 minutes and throttled it some to double check the oil pressure.

The pedal was very soft and then it died once the engine throttled back down. I watched the RPMs drop from 3 down to 0 and then it puttered out.

OP
OP
drastevenson

drastevenson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@drastevenson Did you inspect the valves and pistons?
I did. They looked the same as when I pulled them. Not great but nothing that indicated they immediately needed to be replaced.

I solved the sputtering out issue however I am waiting on the BlackBear tune files to get in to turn off the AFM/DOD in the computer.

Currently, these are the codes it’s throwing (I fixed the temp issue)
IMG_9988.png

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, I forgot you deleted afm. it will run like crap till it's turned off in the tune now. at least from what I read.

until then. I wouldn't worry to much. maybe do a compression check just to double check none of the valves bent a bit and aren't sealing. since you bent the push rods, they did hit the piston pretty hard and it's possible they are leaking a bit.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. They looked the same as when I pulled them. Not great but nothing that indicated they immediately needed to be replaced.

I solved the sputtering out issue however I am waiting on the BlackBear tune files to get in to turn off the AFM/DOD in the computer.

Currently, these are the codes it’s throwing (I fixed the temp issue)
View attachment 403680
Yup, those are vlom codes. That tune will fix you up. Good job finding your root cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts