Rattle/grinding noise at 25-35 mph, mechanic told me AFM and lifters need to be changed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
What year?
07 Tahoe the one in my profile picture
My dad diddnt listen to me about tuning the mess out at the very least and his Silverado dropped the lifter at less then 100,000 miles
Mine now has around 350,000 on her and climbing every week.
My .2c is far from a solution but a poor man’s solution to get you by until you have the funds to do a top end rebuild

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So spend the money on a diagnosis from a Chevy dealer? Or go local. Seems local shops can never find the issue. Took 4 trips for them to find a noise
Go with whomever you get a REALLY good feeling with...Honestly, you're facing the toughest part of this whole process - choosing a service provider...

If you choose wrong, the impact will be severe and painful (as you can imagine)...I'd shop around, meet w/a few shops plus a couple dealer service depts that would take it in...get pricing, ask questions around warranty, turn around time, paperwork as well as diagnostic work up in light of what you will share initially about the problem so they can begin a dialogue with you about it...Bottom line, make sure that you are comfortable that whomever's going to do it will do it right AND stand behind their work if something goes wrong...

F'n up a cam/lifter installation can cost several thousand dollars and if some fly by night shop does the work, then refuses to honor warranty, you're screwed. Even if you sue and are successful, there's a big difference between judgement and actual collection which can take years.

If you're not getting a really good feeling about local shops, I'd take it to the dealership (or I'd just start with a couple dealerships and go from there)...Advantages include a nationwide network of GM locations if you ever move or are on the road and a problem occurs, plus most major powertrain components are covered for 3 years/100k miles. So if it's determined you need a new engine (or transmission) you receive a GM remanufactured part that you don't have to worry about.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with whomever you get a REALLY good feeling with...Honestly, you're facing the toughest part of this whole process - choosing a service provider...

If you choose wrong, the impact will be severe and painful (as you can imagine)...I'd shop around, meet w/a few shops plus a couple dealer service depts that would take it in...get pricing, ask questions around warranty, turn around time, paperwork as well as diagnostic work up in light of what you will share initially about the problem so they can begin a dialogue with you about it...Bottom line, make sure that you are comfortable that whomever's going to do it will do it right AND stand behind their work if something goes wrong...

F'n up a cam/lifter installation can cost several thousand dollars and if some fly by night shop does the work, then refuses to honor warranty, you're screwed. Even if you sue and are successful, there's a big difference between judgement and actual collection which can take years.

If you're not getting a really good feeling about local shops, I'd take it to the dealership (or I'd just start with a couple dealerships and go from there)...Advantages include a nationwide network of GM locations if you ever move or are on the road and a problem occurs, plus most major powertrain components are covered for 3 years/100k miles. So if it's determined you need a new engine (or transmission) you receive a GM remanufactured part that you don't have to worry about.
Thanks nick. Will keep those pointers in mind. I may have to go with a dealership. I’ve met a few shops and tbh they don’t seem on the ball. Just don’t wanna deal with my issue I feel like.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 I don't think a dealership would be inclined to help with this situation, in my experience most shops won't want to help with this because of the nature of the situation. My best bet in finding shops that would help with AFM delete are smaller shops. Call around and ask which shops have experience with Chevy AFM deletes.

Are you able to do the work yourself?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iboughtatahoe23 I don't think a dealership would be inclined to help with this situation, in my experience most shops won't want to help with this because of the nature of the situation. My best bet in finding shops that would help with AFM delete are smaller shops. Call around and ask which shops have experience with Chevy AFM deletes.

Are you able to do the work yourself?
Maybe if I figured a time out. I’m mechanically Inclined but idk about cars!

One wrong move and it’s my whole engine.

lightflyer1

Reaction score
Most shops I checked with just wanted to swap engines. Dealer probably new others rebuilt or used. $8k plus. Reason I chose to rebuild myself. $2k beats that and I trust my work. Good luck with finding someone you can trust! I am no mechanic but managed my own. I have worked on cars before but usually choose not to do inside engine work now days. This was pretty easy to work on once you find out some things.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I can ride in that m5? Until I get a plug in will order that when I get paid this cominf week!

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks nick. Will keep those pointers in mind. I may have to go with a dealership. I’ve met a few shops and tbh they don’t seem on the ball. Just don’t wanna deal with my issue I feel like.
YW, and if dealers don't want to do the work and you can't find a shop that you can trust (many won't even touch it, to others' points, given the cost/risk of a come-back) then you'll likely need to have a new engine installed.

Call around - you won't know for sure until you ask...I'm way out of the loop in terms of what shops/dealers will or won't do because I do all that stuff myself...Takes a while but I know it's done right (or have only myself to blame if it gets screwed up, haha).

Lastly, see what it would cost you to trade that thing in now for something you like (assuming you haven't explored that option recently already - if you have, never mind).

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of the two noises, I’m having here is one of them, not the grinding noise, this is the tapping noise now I’m not sure if this is the lifter or my exhaust manifold. Could be either, but I think it’s a lifter, since it’s on the opposite side of the broken manifold.

Lifter tap/exhaust tick hard to tell

And I know I need to get it into a decent shop for a better diagnosis on paper. I’m currently waiting for some feedback on a good local mechanic on my local raves and rants page.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YW, and if dealers don't want to do the work and you can't find a shop that you can trust (many won't even touch it, to others' points, given the cost/risk of a come-back) then you'll likely need to have a new engine installed.

Call around - you won't know for sure until you ask...I'm way out of the loop in terms of what shops/dealers will or won't do because I do all that stuff myself...Takes a while but I know it's done right (or have only myself to blame if it gets screwed up, haha).

Lastly, see what it would cost you to trade that thing in now for something you like (assuming you haven't explored that option recently already - if you have, never mind).
So I called the shop they said they wanna lift it up and look it at it. Gonna drop it off Monday and Tuesday. Still gonna call around and see what I else I can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts