Lake Speed Jr, Oil Additives = Snake oil (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happenned upon a demonstration at a convention, was showing off "new oil additive". An engineer standing nearby asked a few questions about the load testing machine we were all watching. He then asked if the tester had ever compared against Head and Shoulders shampoo. Further conversations netted Zinc Oxide has an extremely hi breakdown number as well as molybdenum disulfide and graphite, but you probably dont want those in your oil. The 20 or so watchers quickly left.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that video pop up on my YT list... haven't watched it tho.

What's the Cliff Notes on it?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that video pop up on my YT list ... haven't watched it though.
What's the Cliff Notes on it?
You're either doing nothing, or making a mistake adding anything to your motor oil, besides motor oil.

Watched several of his other videos. Y'know how you can mix'n'match Slurpee flavors to make your own?
Thinking about mixing motor oils, but need to do LOTS more research first ...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched the other day, my take away was the Lucas Oil additive is a safe way to thicken up oils and fluids. I've used it in a few old Detroit 3 cylinder 2 stroke diesel that have seen a bit to much starting spray on cold days and 30 years of hard use at end of life and not worth rebuilding, it will bring the hot old pressure up. dump in a full gal will keep it above the oil pressure shut downs for a few years till it's sold off for scrap.

it's also good for diff that has a slight whine on the interstate.

if your engine is in good shape, or worth rebuild, save the money.

this other tidbit is the sea foam boiling at low Temps, seems to me that's what it make a good cleaner of carbon on intake/valves where water injection will clean the piston and chamber but not the backside of the valve and intake port.
besides maybe as added cleaner to the oil only a few days before a change. I can't say I've heard anyone say or it even being marketed as a oil additive added to fresh oil? that's a new one on me.. I always consider it an last hope to clean up a carb on a small engine before rebuilding it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel free to disagree, if you like, but ...
Things like SeaFoam & Marvel Mystery Oil should NOT go in the oilpan.
However, putting them into either the fuel, or the air - as in the TOP end -
has measurable benefits, and no drawbacks (at least so far as I've found).

Chevymec

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never been a believer in additives until now. My 5.3 started to develop a lifter tick at startup from bleeding down. I always have gone by what the oil life says( I know better) until I realized I was going way too long on my LOF's. I started adding Lucas at my oil changes and I get a few thousand miles before the tick comes back, which means it is time to change it again. This is only a band aid until I can pull the engine, re gasket, and DOD delete it.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what do y'all think of Slick 50? I remember some really heated disagreements when it was new.

joe

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is one thing to feel good about or believe in something, quite another to deal with evidence of what works and how well. Here is a short story for you:

My sister bought an old Chevy pick-up back around 1973, so it was from the early sixties. I asked about the black oil on the dipstick and the old guy selling it told me he never changed the oil, he just added STP.

I thought he was kidding but when we got the truck home and I went to change the oil it came out like molasses. In fact, worse than molasses. I put in a can of engine flush, ran it around the block, changed the oil and filter, and then changed them again after about a week. That truck ran fine until her boyfriend wrecked it.

Moral of the story is that an engine can take a lot of abuse, but why even try to explore the limits? Just use good oil and change it every few thousand miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRSB16