AC not blowing cold at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed at stop lights and idle that my AC is barely cold. Once I get the engine going, it’s nice and cold.

I’ve read conflicting info that the condenser isn’t getting the airflow it needs so it’s not effective at idle. Or it needs a recharge. Or it’s overcharged.

Anyone else experience this?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, it does sound like it is undercharged. You may also have a problem with the a/c condenser. At speed the air flow is ok at the condenser and at idle the air flow is way down and does not dissipate the heat at the condenser as well. There was some years of condenser problems but would have to check for the effected years. Is the condenser on either the Yukon or Suburban the original one? Care to share which rig has the problem? Is it a secret?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Tahoe that I sold a few months ago had this same exact problem. Kid I sold it to took it straight to a mechanic and said it had a tiny leak and was low on Freon. They fixed it and charged it up and it apparently worked great after that

OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, it does sound like it is undercharged. You may also have a problem with the a/c condenser. At speed the air flow is ok at the condenser and at idle the air flow is way down and does not dissipate the heat at the condenser as well. There was some years of condenser problems but would have to check for the effected years. Is the condenser on either the Yukon or Suburban the original one? Care to share which rig has the problem? Is it a secret?
Oops I forgot I still had the Suburban on my sig... sold it a few weeks ago so gotta take that off. This is the Denali I’m referring to.

Here’s some more interesting info... I found a hose and gauge I had from one of those refill it yourself Freon cans and the gauge says it’s overcharged by about 30psi. Does that seem right? I thought if it was overcharged, it wouldn’t work at all.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It is going to depend how quick the fan clutch reacts to the lack of air across the condenser. I agree that the fan clutch/fans need to work correctly to help the a/c work at idle but his share of a reading is of no help. Need a set of gauges hooked up and post what the high and low side readings are at idle and is the clutch cycling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14