'99 Tahoe - Expedition Build!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
the views have been incredible all along the way. I have some parts waiting for me in Tuscon that I have to pick up tomorrow...then I'm camping in the Grand Canyon....I had no idea you can drive the north part of the canyon and camp next to the river!

Another cool photo
IMG_9196.jpg

We have a great HD video, but it's over 3gb so I can't upload it anywhere!!

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
IMG_9415.jpg
[/IMG]

up the hill:
http://youtu.be/lgVx-WNHUrk

down the hill:
http://youtu.be/RPGkySJm7_k

Anyone know how to embed a video into a thread?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've had wifi access, but I'm hoping to put some big updates together for the last 1.5wk of traveling we did.

Some highlights:
-We parked/camped on the RIM of the Grand Canyon for three days and wheeled/hiked each day (amazing)...check out "Crazy Jug" on the north rim and you will know what i mean
- Slept in the valley of a canyon (high clearance 4x4 only access) two nights ago and the scenery was beyond breathtaking
- Did a bunch 10%+ grades off road with the trailer and it handled like a dream, but we had to shut it down x2 in one day due to engine and tranny temps getting too high
- We've met tons of incredible ppl in the middle of nowhere with some incredible stories (check out Gooseneck State Park in UT), we slept on the edge of the canyon there)

For the next two weeks we're in Moab UT - wheeling, hiking, swimming and possibly sky diving - so check in for some more updates coming soon!!

Some ppl have asked how the rig handles with a suspension lift, tires, armor etc etc. Legally, we've done 75mph with a 2500lb trailer and the truck drives like a dream...minimal vibrations, tracks straight as an arrow and suspension is just how I like it.

We've probably driven close to 500miles purely offroad (some really nasty stuff) and the alignment is still spot on.

Sooo....if you're wondering how a suspension lift will affect your rig....if you replace worn parts, grab a nice set of shocks, run your CV's at a comfortable angle, you can have a really nice handling and SAFE truck. My only gripe is that steering is a little soft after I removed the variable speed sensor so I could run a hydroboost setup...but with close to 9k lb at a steep angle going down a mtn pass, these brakes have been amazing.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read entire thread... dont know how i have missed this.. i am about to build a set of end links very similar to yours and all the ball joints and few other components in the front end.. glad to hear that you are happy with your links..

Love the trailer.. is is a custom or a modded military frame?

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Read entire thread... dont know how i have missed this.. i am about to build a set of end links very similar to yours and all the ball joints and few other components in the front end.. glad to hear that you are happy with your links..

Love the trailer.. is is a custom or a modded military frame?

Good eye on the trailer--custom from the ground up, designed after the 416 military frame; but some tricks built in for offroading and heavy loads on the top cap.

Check out FFR Fabrication for the end links...I think for the NBS its $250. But if you have a machine shop, they seem really easy to build; good Heims and tubing, measure, cut once and you're done!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the previous posts, but I have not been happy with the Synergy Suspension uppers...the cap doesn't seal to the base and tons of crap is getting caught under the boot (only a matter of time until particles are lodged in between the joint itself). Once I'm done with the trip, I'm going to have "design" discussions with them b/c the joint itself is nice and robust metal on metal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Just finished the White Rim run in Moab - 120miles of offroading through canyons - truly amazing! If you ever want to run this, permits take 6mo - 1yr to grab...but we got lucky and there was a permit available when we showed up there.

Some pics:
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0524.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0487.jpg

A car we rescued in the first 2miles of the trip - what was this guy thinking!?!?
IMG_0481.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg

redaddiction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great man, the wife and I are headed out that way on Sunday. Any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia