Expedition Max to Yukon XL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Wagoneers are pretty loaded with options - The more "stuff" the less payload, as I'm sure you're well aware.

For a reference point - my Yukon XL SLE Diesel - 9-Seat config has a payload of 1583lbs - go up to an SLT or Denali and that number only goes down from there. FYI - the 3.0 Duramax is about 65lbs heavier than the 6.2 V8 so you'll gain back a bit of payload if you go that route.
I'm curious, how does your Yukon have 9 seats? I've never seen one with a 3 seat first row. Is that what yours has?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, how does your Yukon have 9 seats? I've never seen one with a 3 seat first row. Is that what yours has?
It's the same center console/seat that they use on lower trim level Silverado/Sierras. Not for adults unless in a total pinch, but it works well for my 10 & 12yo daughters. GM only makes it available on the SLE/LS trim levels of the SUVs, however there was a forum member here that bought the parts off of E-Bay and converted his SLT with it. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/front-bucket-to-bench-swap.144190/post-1842962

1707766882285.png

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
It's the same center console/seat that they use on lower trim level Silverado/Sierras. Not for adults unless in a total pinch, but it works well for my 10 & 12yo daughters. GM only makes it available on the SLE/LS trim levels of the SUVs, however there was a forum member here that bought the parts off of E-Bay and converted his SLT with it. https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/front-bucket-to-bench-swap.144190/post-1842962

View attachment 421376
Huh, who would have thought? I thought they did away with the front row bench seat option in full size SUV's years ago and only kept the option in pickup trucks. Pretty cool for those who have 8 passengers!

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, who would have thought? I thought they did away with the front row bench seat option in full size SUV's years ago and only kept the option in pickup trucks. Pretty cool for those who have 8 passengers!
Right - it's a pretty handy option and honestly, once my wife and I learned about it, we locked ourselves into it as one of our "must have" options. There's maybe a few things that the SLT/Denali have that would be "nice to have" for us, but for the most part the SLE comes really well equipped. I think in previous generations the front bench only came on the "fleet spec" configs, but the SLE come with everything we need.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They (OE manufacturers) would prefer to do away with the center-front seat entirely -
I bet the monkey in the middle does not fare well in crash tests without an exploding pillow to punch them in the face.

That said, a center-front seat that can ALSO be a nearly equivalent center console alternative is pretty awesome.

squark

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm late to the thread, but this was me a little over a year ago. At the time I pulled a 33' 7,600lb travel trailer (Transcend Xplor 265BH) with a 2018 Expedition Max Limited. The towing experience was ok, but I had a good amount of truck suck and felt uneasy in crosswinds. I also had a ton of issues with the Expy (cam phasers x2, both turbos, 7 leaky shocks, and more), so I started looking at the Yukon XL Denali. I rented one on Turo and pulled our camper (Denali but without air suspension). It was noticeably more stable towing even though Yukon had lower tow ratings. So I decided to order one and got a 2023 Yukon XL Denali Reserve. I've now had it for a year and put 24k miles on it.

I agree with your likes and dislikes list. I will say that I get lower fuel economy (about 2mpg) on the 6.2L V8 than I did on the EcoBoost. The seats are firmer in the Yukon and the Bose stereo isn't nearly as good as the B&O IMO. The other things I preferred on the Expy were the visibility over the hood, the tilt-and-slide seats, and that the third row seats had latch anchors and a headrest for the middle seat. I prefer everything else on the Yukon. I haven't needed any repairs yet, the fit and finish are better, it tows better, it has features like air suspension and head-up display, and the transmission stays much cooler. I'm very glad I made the switch.

For towing, the 6.2L has ample power. It has to rev more to get power compared to the EcoBoost, but it's never lacked power going up steep passes in the Appalachians. It also sounds great when it's under load. When towing I get close to the same fuel economy as the EcoBoost. I have the air suspension and it tows great. It's always level and I don't get much porpoising. I didn't have any complaints when I tried towing with the non-air Yukon either, but that was so long ago I can't remember how they compare. But I'm glad I got the air suspension and would do it again.

The transmission in the Yukon runs significantly cooler than in the Expy. Around town I'm seeing 145-165 degrees depending on traffic. The Expy used to be around 210 degrees. I haven't towed our trailer up slow, steep passes with the Yukon yet, but I did with the Expy and it got warm. I fully expect the Yukon to do better in the same scenario based on how much cooler it stays when towing at speed.

We recently downsized our travel trailer to a 28' Airstream. Towing that my transmission temps stay pretty low on the highway (150s-160s typically) and I get significantly better fuel economy (11.5mpg vs 8.5mpg with our last trailer). Payload on my XL Denali Reserve is 1,427lb. I've taken some steps to lighten the tongue weight of the Airstream and stay under all the weight capacities of the Yukon. We're close to the limit, but it really tows well. My wife really didn't want to get a truck and lose the third row seats, so this was our solution and it's worked out great so far.

OP
OP
D

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
I'm late to the thread, but this was me a little over a year ago. At the time I pulled a 33' 7,600lb travel trailer (Transcend Xplor 265BH) with a 2018 Expedition Max Limited. The towing experience was ok, but I had a good amount of truck suck and felt uneasy in crosswinds. I also had a ton of issues with the Expy (cam phasers x2, both turbos, 7 leaky shocks, and more), so I started looking at the Yukon XL Denali. I rented one on Turo and pulled our camper (Denali but without air suspension). It was noticeably more stable towing even though Yukon had lower tow ratings. So I decided to order one and got a 2023 Yukon XL Denali Reserve. I've now had it for a year and put 24k miles on it.

I agree with your likes and dislikes list. I will say that I get lower fuel economy (about 2mpg) on the 6.2L V8 than I did on the EcoBoost. The seats are firmer in the Yukon and the Bose stereo isn't nearly as good as the B&O IMO. The other things I preferred on the Expy were the visibility over the hood, the tilt-and-slide seats, and that the third row seats had latch anchors and a headrest for the middle seat. I prefer everything else on the Yukon. I haven't needed any repairs yet, the fit and finish are better, it tows better, it has features like air suspension and head-up display, and the transmission stays much cooler. I'm very glad I made the switch.

For towing, the 6.2L has ample power. It has to rev more to get power compared to the EcoBoost, but it's never lacked power going up steep passes in the Appalachians. It also sounds great when it's under load. When towing I get close to the same fuel economy as the EcoBoost. I have the air suspension and it tows great. It's always level and I don't get much porpoising. I didn't have any complaints when I tried towing with the non-air Yukon either, but that was so long ago I can't remember how they compare. But I'm glad I got the air suspension and would do it again.

The transmission in the Yukon runs significantly cooler than in the Expy. Around town I'm seeing 145-165 degrees depending on traffic. The Expy used to be around 210 degrees. I haven't towed our trailer up slow, steep passes with the Yukon yet, but I did with the Expy and it got warm. I fully expect the Yukon to do better in the same scenario based on how much cooler it stays when towing at speed.

We recently downsized our travel trailer to a 28' Airstream. Towing that my transmission temps stay pretty low on the highway (150s-160s typically) and I get significantly better fuel economy (11.5mpg vs 8.5mpg with our last trailer). Payload on my XL Denali Reserve is 1,427lb. I've taken some steps to lighten the tongue weight of the Airstream and stay under all the weight capacities of the Yukon. We're close to the limit, but it really tows well. My wife really didn't want to get a truck and lose the third row seats, so this was our solution and it's worked out great so far.
Hey that's some awesome feedback! Thank you for the reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts