'99 Tahoe - Expedition Build!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
After quite some time planning and the last two months underneath the truck, we're finally getting close to finishing up our expedition build.

I've learned tons of information on this site, so I thought I would share what I'm up to with you guys!

Leaving towards the end of March, we are going on a multi-month expedition throughout the US, Canada and hopefully up to Alaska. On this trip, we are stopping off at a number of national parks, 4x4 events and even being FEATURED at the Overland Expo in May.

This is an offroad trip, so once we leave the east coast, most of the trek is offroad (agenda still to be finalized)

I'm not online as much as I used to b/c i'm literally under the truck 8+hrs/day, but I'll try to respond as much as possible.

Here are the plans for the vehicle:
1999 Tahoe 4dr 4x4
IMG_7649.jpg

Truck Parts

14bolt semi float swap
4" IFS RCX Lift
Hydroboost Conversion
Custom fabbed tie rods - FFR Fabrication
HD Ball Joints - Synergy Suspension
Moog HD Pitman/Idler Arm
Pro Comp Extreme AT 285/70R17
Mickey Thompson 17x9
Custom rear bumper w/tire carrier - Do NOT purchase from Tactical Armor Group
Custom torsion bars (33% stiffer) - Sway A Way
Bilstein 5100 shocks (5150's were not valved heavy enough)
Vehicle mounted air compressor
Defender 6.5' roof rack
Samlex Pure Sine 1000w PST Inverter w/remote
Volant CAI
BlackBear Tune
12vot guy custom switch panel - AMAZING!
220amp alternator - Iraggi
x2 KC 130w on ARB Winch bumper
Body Armor (skid plate, frame sliders, tank protector, diff protector)
Larger trans cooler - still searching!
ARB front bumper - fitted by Liquid Iron Industries
ARB fridge - 60 Liter
35 & 55w HIDs w/4hi mod

Recovery Gear
Superwinch Talon 12.5k
Viking Offroad - Synthetic Winchline - A MUST have for IFS rigs
ARB 3" Tree Savers
Pull Pal - RW 14,000 model

Trailer:

LV416 Trailer
30 gallons water
20 gallons fuel
Holds lots of spare parts and equip

As I add more and finish up installs, I will update this first page!

Hydroboost Conversion w/PS Cooler - this is all new AC Delco components (base vehicle k2500)..PS cooler from '97 K3500
IMG_8122.jpg
IMG_8108-1.jpg

This was used to delete variable steering from PS pump - GM #19168825
IMG_7947-1.jpg

12Voltguy Custom Panel
IMG_8219.jpg
IMG_8220.jpg

Mark VIII Efan - custom wiring setup to engage both speeds automatically
IMG_7279-1.jpg

Volant CAI:
IMG_7282-1.jpg

ProComp Extreme AT 285/70R17
9351.jpg

Iraggi 220 alt - 180amp @ Idle!!!
IMG_8168.jpg

14bsf 6 lug rear w/Blue Torch diff cover - COMPLETELY rebuilt w/Timken Bearings & Tru Trac
IMG_8214.jpg

Updated Fuel Injector Spider
IMG_8212.jpg

Timken Hub Bearing Replacement
IMG_8129.jpg

Manifold Gasket Replacement (clean manifold!)
IMG_8210.jpg

Plenum Gasket
IMG_8211.jpg

Electric Air Horn - 300hz
IMG_7286-1.jpg

Custom Trailer:
IMG_8141-1.jpg

Interior
IMG_8164.jpg

Trailer Bearing Lube
IMG_8163.jpg

As you can imagine, I've also swapped out every fluid (trans, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, oil, coolant)

Last edited:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
nicely done. what did the Hydroboost swap cost? part numbers? and scale of 1 to 10 how well does that thing stop now?! haha

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
nicely done. what did the Hydroboost swap cost? part numbers? and scale of 1 to 10 how well does that thing stop now?! haha

A ridiculous amount of $$ and it stops much better now. I don't have the part #'s on me, but i essentially went to rockauto, threw in '99 K2500 and bought:
x3 power steering lines, power steering pump, hydro unit, master cylinder, gm bypass, hydro pedal, 3/4t calipers, 3/4t pads (need to be shaved for 1/2t discs). None of the parts on your truck will work correctly with the hydro unit...some ppl make it work, but you will develop problems down the road (i.e. t-fitting off stock PS pump) if you don't swap everything.

I also HIGHLY recommend a PS steering cooler. I did a bit of research on the diesel forums and they were somewhat regularly exceeding the recommended temps on their PS fluid when they didn't have a cooler. For OBS, I believe only the k3500 had coolers...but they mount in the OEM location. OEM is $100+, but you can find a rail cooler for $30 from summit (just measure everything before you buy)

Sometime this week i'll do some actual stopping distance tests and release all the findings from vacuum to hydro

Last edited:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
:lol: yea ive seen the prices before and was pretty offended. haha But driving the work trucks hydroboosted van, damn that thing lcoks em up pretty good. I actually have a powersteering cooler from a 2000 tahoe limited.. looks exactly like yours

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
for used units, I think its justchevy on ebay that sells working units. I bought my 14bsf from them and they remove good parts from wrecks and sell them...when i was the re, they have x3 complete setups for $150/ea....AND they save the pedal! (pedal took me months to acquire)

Sunlit - i thought that too about the PS cooler and found two types, frame mounted (actually inside the frame) and the one i have (mounted on the front).

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Atomic - I have sooo many parts you can buy off me for your collection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645