98 Yukon intake manifold gasket job - What do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the shops I ran over many years, I liked Fel-Pro gaskets for cylinder head work on any engine and for the intakes. I sometimes used other brands because the tech that was doing the work liked a certain brand and they were the ones doing the work, so I would allow that. IMO, Fel-Pro is my go to but sometimes the OE Genuine GM brand or AC Delco will also do a quality job.
Roger, Thank you! I'll probably make more posts about this job; I'm expecting to find more errors as I go, A very bad mechanic "rebuilt" this engine years ago. Your advice is very appreciated!

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Felpro is the one I used, and most of the people on the forum recommended. This kit even has new intake bolts with thread locker already applied. One thing I would do differently, is definitely clean and thread chase all holes you are bolting up to, to ensure proper torque.

Thank you sir!

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir!
I can’t remember what type of RTV sealant I used on the front and rear walls. Hopefully one of the members can chime in. Lay it on thick, and run it up to and under the edge of the corner of the new gaskets. Let it rest and skin over before bolting it down.3B4F8BCA-8271-4068-94FD-7F89B19F02BF.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can’t remember what type of RTV sealant I used on the front and rear walls. Hopefully one of the members can chime in. Lay it on thick, and run it up to and under the edge of the corner of the new gaskets. Let it rest and skin over before bolting it down.View attachment 378133

I like that RTV to be a bead laid on the outermost half of that flat metal surface you show in the pic. The reason is that when that is all bolted down and torqued, that RTV will spread front and back and if the bead is more toward that outer edge it has less chance of getting dropped in to the valley there and mixed with oil and then clogging the oil pickup tube screen. Again, only IMO.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe most people use this? From what I've seen, at least.
The kit that Yukon posted has the RTV - enough for the two walls. They make two Felpro gaskets, one with internal metal reinforcement and one without which is the original GM style. The reinforced version (in that kit) is what you want.

The factory manual has the procedure with torques, bead size for RTV, etc. You’ll need that. You can download the shop manual here:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search for upper intake stud/kit so I could post a link here. I found nothing. I remember a few different companies had them. GM/felpro/ others. Anyone remember a part number?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt