98 Yukon intake manifold gasket job - What do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Question time. I have a 5.7 Vortec I need to do the intake manifold gaskets on, never done it before. On the left side of the picture is the valve cover, right side is my manifold. Leaking pretty hard too! I do think I need to reseal my oil pressure sending unit fitting, because it does look like some's coming from there, but there's three different spots on this manifold that I can see oil seeping out of, so it's got to be done, (Both valve cover gaskets are replaced.) I wouldn't have known really about this if some very friendly folks didn't help me out on this site.

The second image is my Oil pressure unit fitting, at first glance I thought it was Teflon tape that was hanging, but it looks like its RTV from the intake manifold. If I didn't have multiple spots away from this fitting, I'd just take it out along with the distributor and reseal it really well and test it throughout the days. Unless oil can travel upwards, Gaskets need to be redone.

Bottom line, is there really anything that is going to surprise me? Should I use RTV or the factory gasket that supposedly fits on the ends? Are there any tricks I'm supposed to know laying down the manifold on the surface when I reassemble? I'm quite confident I can rip this apart, (Famous last words) but I'm wondering if there's anything I might miss while I'm down there. I'm aware of the 1A Auto video that has a guide on this, how accurate it is though I'm not certain. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, I'm just going to do research for now. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• DDA9A7BE-268C-4E4E-B590-7ED34F014B28.jpg
    DDA9A7BE-268C-4E4E-B590-7ED34F014B28.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6340.jpg
    IMG_6340.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 7

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check spider bracket not bent,Use felpro gaskets, maybe a little more RTV than comes in tiny tube with kit, order the 10 mm upper intake studs and nuts, almost always overtorqued and stripped. Every chance you get, take pictures for you. When you think you are ready to install lower manifold, Double check everything, bolts in proper order, necessary tools ,everything organized,then clean it again where gaskets and sealant go. Wash hands, Rtv in corners, intake gaskets, RTV in corners again with front and rear squirt, then intake goes on.Torque intake then take break and plan next steps. Good Luck!
When lower is off, look at cam and lifters as best you can. Be very careful with injectors.

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look here also-

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check spider bracket not bent,Use felpro gaskets, maybe a little more RTV than comes in tiny tube with kit, order the 10 mm upper intake studs and nuts, almost always overtorqued and stripped. Every chance you get, take pictures for you. When you think you are ready to install lower manifold, Double check everything, bolts in proper order, necessary tools ,everything organized,then clean it again where gaskets and sealant go. Wash hands, Rtv in corners, intake gaskets, RTV in corners again with front and rear squirt, then intake goes on.Torque intake then take break and plan next steps. Good Luck!
When lower is off, look at cam and lifters as best you can. Be very careful with injectors.
I very much appreciate this! I will probably look for more answers as I go, but thank you!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remember one very important thing, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness". **** and Span throughout the whole process. Check and double check. Measure twice and cut once. You do not want to go back in there from cutting corners.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember one very important thing, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness". **** and Span throughout the whole process. Check and double check. Measure twice and cut once. You do not want to go back in there from cutting corners.
Yup, I am planning to be as neat and tidy as I can. Thank you!

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I am planning to be as neat and tidy as I can. Thank you!
This was one of my first posts on the forum when I was about to tackle the same job. Lots of great input from the nice people on here. Give it a read if you have time. I encountered a few speed bumps along the way. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was one of my first posts on the forum when I was about to tackle the same job. Lots of great input from the nice people on here. Give it a read if you have time. I encountered a few speed bumps along the way. Good luck.

Just researching Which gasket set I might need, People are saying Use Fel-Pro, and some are saying don't. Which is weird, because I've never had a problem once with any Fel-Pro gasket.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In the shops I ran over many years, I liked Fel-Pro gaskets for cylinder head work on any engine and for the intakes. I sometimes used other brands because the tech that was doing the work liked a certain brand and they were the ones doing the work, so I would allow that. IMO, Fel-Pro is my go to but sometimes the OE Genuine GM brand or AC Delco will also do a quality job.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just researching Which gasket set I might need, People are saying Use Fel-Pro, and some are saying don't. Which is weird, because I've never had a problem once with any Fel-Pro gasket.
Felpro is the one I used, and most of the people on the forum recommended. This kit even has new intake bolts with thread locker already applied. One thing I would do differently, is definitely clean and thread chase all holes you are bolting up to, to ensure proper torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99