4l60E slipping/being erratic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would argue the '60e can be made into an awesome transmission with a little work. That check ball issue is something that should have been addressed early on in the lifecycle of the trans but wasn't; swapping to a synthetic check ball is an easy fix if your separator plate is in good shape. PWM is a bit harsh on the torque converters as well, better off with the PWM valve blocked off in the valve body or having it tuned out.

Plastic accumulators are a double edge sword. Some crack, but on the flip side some aluminum ones wear out in their center bore where they ride on the pin. I think the aluminum is probably a bit better, but in my own transmissions I don't swap them unless I have one on hand while I have the trans apart. I do like to stack washers or nuts on the pin, or place a second accumulator piston to block the accumulator in the case and firm up/speed up the 3-4 shift and save on the 3-4 clutches that are most common to go out.

Of course, sonnax does make pinless aluminum accumulators. I've never used them, but they seem like a good solution as well as long as the o-rings hold them off the cylinder walls well enough that the aluminum doesn't wear. I feel like that probably is the case.

I do like Corvette servos in all my 60e's as well.

Vint91

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 4l60e In my z71 is slipping and being erratic at times. Some times it starts off in 2nd then around 20mph drops into 1st and takes off then back into 2nd. Some times it just starts in 2nd gear and stays put until I let off the gas then get back on it to feather it into 3rd. It's stupid. I can still shift manually through the gears and reverse works fine. Most of the time it hunts for a gear that will engage. It has 277k miles so I'm assuming my trans is rubbish. Supposedly it had been rebuilt before I bought it but no proof to back up that claim. That being said, I'm not a gm person and don't know a ton about the 4l60 other than they are finicky and useless after so much use.

Yes, it has proper fluids and a recent filter change.
I'm thinking about getting a stage 1 built 4l60E from monster transmission and got a quote for 1686.00 out the door. The install I can do myself.
Is that a reputable builder and a decent price? I need a transmission that is built enough to handle maybe 380hp as I'm just going to do cam/header/ported 862 heads and a tune. It's not going to be be total daily driver but will be used for small road trips and camping.
I just bought a Monster Transmission Level 2 for my other truck and I’m happy with the results. It responds quickly!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87