4l60E slipping/being erratic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Well dropped trans and replaced the rear main along with the oil sending unit...what a PITA! while the trans was out I replaced the valve control body and 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids, new filter, flushed and refilled...must of down the trick. No more erratic shifting or gear hunting. Only thing it does now is hang a little high In rpms before it shifts but definitely a huge improvement over what it was. Now that fall is setting in time to tear into the suspension and get all that mess sorted out. My kids call it the bounce house on wheels haha.

I'm going to definitely keep an eye on the trans though. If it starts acting up I'll replace in the spring. Just needs to hang in there till then.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dropped trans and replaced the rear main along with the oil sending unit...what a PITA! while the trans was out I replaced the valve control body and 1-2 and 3-4 solenoids, new filter, flushed and refilled...must of down the trick. No more erratic shifting or gear hunting. Only thing it does now is hang a little high In rpms before it shifts but definitely a huge improvement over what it was. Now that fall is setting in time to tear into the suspension and get all that mess sorted out. My kids call it the bounce house on wheels haha.

I'm going to definitely keep an eye on the trans though. If it starts acting up I'll replace in the spring. Just needs to hang in there till then.
You replaced the entire valve body?

Did you inspect the separator plate?

Did you inspect the accumulator pistons and springs?

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
You replaced the entire valve body?

Did you inspect the separator plate?

Did you inspect the accumulator pistons and springs?

Separator plate, accumulator springs and pistons all replaced. Separator plate replaces with an oem unit and used sonnax pistons/springs. I didn't do those parts. Made a call to a local builder here and did some trading for him to come over take a look and see what else I might be over looking. I've never gone into a 4l60e so it was an experience. All I know is it was pretty damn dirty inside there so not sure what in the hell the previous owner did. Wrestled with the damn thing going back in. Have to replace the catalytic converters and y pipe they sit in now. They were all rusted out and dented up pretty bad.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
On a happier note I did sell the 22s that came on it when I bought for 1400.00 over the weekend.

I'm not sure if the timing belt has even been changed and its sitting at 288k miles. Should I change it when I replace the oil pump I already have? Even though it seems to be operating fine its nice knowing there's fresh parts in there.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a happier note I did sell the 22s that came on it when I bought for 1400.00 over the weekend.

I'm not sure if the timing belt has even been changed and its sitting at 288k miles. Should I change it when I replace the oil pump I already have? Even though it seems to be operating fine its nice knowing there's fresh parts in there.
Like many of us on here, it is a matter of course to replace parts that are 15+ years old. It is really how much you want to do for updating versus waiting until something breaks.

I have not heard about timing chains breaking, but it depends on what the previous owners did to it. Hotrodding etc. Based on how rough your transmission was, I would be changing parts on the engine out just to know they are new. If you are going to tear into the engine you might as well do it all!

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you considered doing a corvette servo?

My 2001 tahoe with 250k miles or so started to flare shift 1-2, and 2-3, sometimes didnt want to shift on the interstate. I installed a corvette servo over 20k miles ago, no more flare shifts, nice solid firm shifts into 1-2, and 3-4. Helped a ton for drive ability, and has been giving me great results. as with anything I know it will eventually fail, but for now its a go!

As for timing chains, and oil pumps, I wouldn't worry about the timing chain, seen several 350k+ trucks still running strong, with all oem stuff. Oil pumps typically dont fail either, its usually just the pickup tube o-ring that gives everyone so much trouble.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
I don't mind spending time on replacing parts even if they are still working peace of mind not being 15 years old lol. This is more of a restoration/fun project. I have a strong belief when everything goes electric tahoes of the old will be worth some money. Or I could be wrong and we're stuck with gas hogs paying 20 dollars a gallon for. Who knows. It's gonna be fun though!

I'll skip past the timing chain and oil pump for now then. Only thing I'm doing to the engine is putting on rebuilt heads/gaskets and such. More of a basic engine refresh. Compression in all cylinders was pretty much right on the money. I did a new trans mount this weekend I'm changing out the motor mounts and time permitting I might start on the front suspension. There's a lot of rocking movement and the mounts look like trash.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you did the valve body repairs, those prices seemed too cheap to me to get anything of decent quality and how in the world does the trans guy know what needs changing until he actually sees the internals laid out before him? Ever watch Precision Transmissions on youtube? They do 4L60 tear downs all the time. Learned a lot about them from those videos!

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Have you considered doing a corvette servo?

My 2001 tahoe with 250k miles or so started to flare shift 1-2, and 2-3, sometimes didnt want to shift on the interstate. I installed a corvette servo over 20k miles ago, no more flare shifts, nice solid firm shifts into 1-2, and 3-4. Helped a ton for drive ability, and has been giving me great results. as with anything I know it will eventually fail, but for now its a go!

As for timing chains, and oil pumps, I wouldn't worry about the timing chain, seen several 350k+ trucks still running strong, with all oem stuff. Oil pumps typically dont fail either, its usually just the pickup tube o-ring that gives everyone so much trouble.
A corvette servo never crossed my mind honestly. This is my first GM product ever owned so I'm catching on. I'll definitely look into it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak