2022 Suburban Premier Tires/Wheel Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

santiagovm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade tires/wheels on a Suburban 2022 Premier. The car came with 275/60R20 tires and 9Jx20 ET28 rims. The vehicle also has Magnetic Ride Control.

My objective is to make the car look more off-road without making significant changes and keep a balance between appearance and comfort.

Looking for a style similar to the one here. Aggressive tires with a small wheel (315/70R17).

Some questions:

1. Are the 17" wheels too small to fit the brake components? If so, what is the smallest rim I could use?
2. To fit 315/70R17 tires, I assume that leveling or lift is required. Is the magnetic ride control affected by this?
Any suggestions on leveling/lifting kits?
3. What is the biggest tire that will safely fit without leveling/lifting?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension?

A lift or level kit will require some different links for the magnaride to work.

Fitting a 35x12.5 tire in there will certainly require at least a small lift/level, and most likely some trimming as well. I believe the guy in that video you posted said they did some trimming in the front wheel wells for clearance (havnt watched it in a while). I just put 305/45/22 tires (roughly 33x12) on the wifes 100% stock ‘22 tahoe high country (no air suspension) and they fit just fine, no rubbing anywhere.

I know big gnarly mud tires always check the appearance box, but often not so much the comfort box.

I doubt a normal offset 17” wheel would fit over the brakes, but i honestly dont know. I would guess a minimum of 18” is needed.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a little change but an improvement in utility and looks for off road appearance but not a loss in comfort.
keep the standard tire size and put Michelin a/t2 tires on her.
OR if they still make them Goodyear silent armor tires.
Either will give you an off road capable appearance and utility in use. And a smooth quiet ride

OP
OP
S

santiagovm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension?

A lift or level kit will require some different links for the magnaride to work.

Fitting a 35x12.5 tire in there will certainly require at least a small lift/level, and most likely some trimming as well. I believe the guy in that video you posted said they did some trimming in the front wheel wells for clearance (havnt watched it in a while). I just put 305/45/22 tires (roughly 33x12) on the wifes 100% stock ‘22 tahoe high country (no air suspension) and they fit just fine, no rubbing anywhere.

I know big gnarly mud tires always check the appearance box, but often not so much the comfort box.

I doubt a normal offset 17” wheel would fit over the brakes, but i honestly dont know. I would guess a minimum of 18” is needed.

Olyelr,

Thanks for the info, very helpful. No, I don't have the Air Suspension, only the Magnetic Ride Control.

The 305/45/22 could be an option for me. Will need to find the equivalent for 18" wheels. I am starting to lean towards a setup that does not require leveling/lifting. Also interested on 275/70/18.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Olyelr,

Thanks for the info, very helpful. No, I don't have the Air Suspension, only the Magnetic Ride Control.

The 305/45/22 could be an option for me. Will need to find the equivalent for 18" wheels. I am starting to lean towards a setup that does not require leveling/lifting. Also interested on 275/70/18.
The 275/70/18 is basically the equivalent of the factory 275/60/20, so they should fit just fine with no issue.

OP
OP
S

santiagovm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is an update on my original post. I upgraded the tires/wheels.
The information on this site was fundamental to my project. Thank you.

Below is a side view picture of the before and after

01-full-side.jpg

Tire/Wheel Specifications​

Before:
  • 275/60/20 (33x10.8) OEM Tires Continental Cross Contact LX
  • 9Jx20 ET28 OEM Chevrolet rims
After:
  • 305/70/17 (33.8x12) Nitto Ridge Grappler (217080)
  • 9Jx17 ET1 Fuel Tech Matte Gun Metal (D67217908450)

11-tire-comparison.jpg

Leveling Kit​

I also had a Rough Country leveling kit. My car has Magnetic Ride Control, and I have had no problems. The installer indicated it added 1.5" of height. I did not get the details of the part that was used. But here is a picture after installation. It looks similar to the one here.

10-leveling-kit.jpg

Tire Rubbing​

This setup has a little bit of rubbing at full turn. I am deciding between living with it or doing some trimming.
The left image below is the original tire at full turn. Notice the 1/4" gap. The image in the middle is the new tire touching the fender cover. The image on the right is me pushing my finger between the new tire and the fender cover.

07-tire-fender-gap.jpg

The image below shows the driver's side and the passenger's side. Notice that the tire is touching a metal piece behind the cloth coverage on the passenger side.

09-tire-rub.jpg

more info and pictures in the next post...

OP
OP
S

santiagovm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
resuming from the previous post...

Brake Caliper with 17" Wheel​

The brakes fit with the 17 wheels. The installer indicated that the new rim needed to be offset +1 instead of the original +28 to ensure the caliper fit.

06-front-side.jpg

05-rear-side.jpg

More Pictures​

02-three-quarter-front.jpg

04-three-quarter-back.jpg

08-tire-edge.jpg

Reference​

• Thread: Lifted/Leveled 2021 - Postem Up (link)
  • Thread: 2021 Leveling/Larger tires (link)
  • Thread: 305/45/22 will fit nicely! (link)
  • Tool: Wheel-Size.com (link)
  • Tool: Wheel Visualizer (link)
  • Tool: Wheel Offset Calculator (link)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne