2022 Orders Buyer Beware - Sitting in Texas for months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are in same boat. Our 2022 that we took delivery of a few weeks ago has bad vibration on the interstate over 60 mph. Dealer said GM won't warranty the tires until you drive 500 miles to see if flat spots come out. So a $66k vehicle is delivered that can barely be driven on the interstate for the first 500 miles? Not a great solution. Just dropped it back off to dealer now that we cleared 500 miles. So potentially tens of thousands of GM vehicles are going to have flat-spotting issues? Curious to know how many people's tires smoothed out on their own versus needed to be replaced. Are tires going to be in short supply as I assume most manufacturers have this issue with their backlogged vehicles? What a cluster.
IF they need replacing, best to see if you can "lobby" your dealer to get you a set of Michelin Defender LTX MS, vs the awful Bridgestone Alenza AS/02!

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are in same boat. Our 2022 that we took delivery of a few weeks ago has bad vibration on the interstate over 60 mph. Dealer said GM won't warranty the tires until you drive 500 miles to see if flat spots come out. So a $66k vehicle is delivered that can barely be driven on the interstate for the first 500 miles? Not a great solution. Just dropped it back off to dealer now that we cleared 500 miles. So potentially tens of thousands of GM vehicles are going to have flat-spotting issues? Curious to know how many people's tires smoothed out on their own versus needed to be replaced. Are tires going to be in short supply as I assume most manufacturers have this issue with their backlogged vehicles? What a cluster.

If those tires don't smooth out in about 10 miles on the highway, they are permanently done.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your situation isn't ideal but you have to realize most tires don't flat spot and most people don't have the issues you speak of. This is a forum where most come to talk about issues not talk about how great everything is.

Thankfully you have warranty.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are loading up cars all over the place. If you use Google earth and type Flint, MI, go exactly 2 miles north and you will spot several parking lots full of cars, tens of thousands of trucks. These come and they go, they will fill a lot and they will sit for months, then one morning there are thousands that are just gone.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those tires don't smooth out in about 10 miles on the highway, they are permanently done.
Something is fishy there, I think. I have multiple vehicles on multiple brands of tires that sit 6 months at a time. Never a flat spot problem. These Alenza's certainly aren't all that great, but I'd be highly surprised 6 months sitting would do them in....

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 1,100 miles on our '22 Yukon XL (built 5/22 and delivered 11/22) and I took it in to the nearest GMC dealer yesterday to get the DRL recall reflash done and also mentioned that the tires just don't seem right - I mentioned flat spots and road force balancing. Unfortunately I could tell from the get-go that GMC dealership didn't really want to bother with it. They said they tested the balance on the tires, added 1 ounce of weight to the fronts and called it good. I couldn't get a straight answer out of the service advisor whether or not they road force tested them.

On the drive home it was the same experience. Higher amplitude thumping in the 40's to 50's - tolerable in the 60's and above 70 shaking in the driver seat and a bit in the steering wheel. I have a good friend that works at an independent auto shop local to me and I stopped by to see what he thought. We pulled it in, put it on the lift and tested the tires. They use a Hunter Roadforce Elite balancer and the tires came out at 99+lbs of force! The machine basically gave an error and said the tires exceeded the limit of being correctable.

My friend took some pictures of the tires, (DOT codes, build date, etc.) and got on the phone with Michelin. After a bit of discussion Michelin said they would warranty the tires and to make the situation right they would upgrade me to the Defender LTX (OE tire was Primacy LTX) 80K vs 55K warranty, respectively. TIres are on order and I should have them replaced early next week.

Kuddos to Michelin for making it right - I've always been a Michelin fan and they reaffirmed why I buy their tires. Also, kuddos to my local shop for being willing to look into it and do the warranty leg work with Michelin.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For pretty much everyone in the automotive market, regardless of manufacturer.

The paint, fade, sun fade, tire flat spots….believe it or not is not a new thing. Ther used to be isolated events of “Lot Lizards” as on older stock units. The MP holding pens are the same thing, just on a much larger scale.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2,3 and 4 on the Michelin Defenders.
I bought a set of wheels from a guy with a 2010 Tahoe. They had Defender LTX M+S 265/70 R17 on there. They had some years and miles on them, but still plenty of tread to get me by for more than a year.
Even used... An awesome riding tire!

ShotGoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Came her to share, someone on this thread commented on a different thread I started. I had issues with flat spotting and my local dealer didn't fix or find my problem and I first complained and I had 300 miles on my '22 SLT. I took a couple nearby day-trips and took it in again at 700 miles a week later and they even told me that two tires came in 'red' on the road force balance that first time. I can only assume GM didn't let them do a warranty claim under 500 miles; they almost alluded to as much. In any case, on that second service they swapped all 4 tires (I asked for Michelin but they wanted to up-charge me $500 so I said na) and now it rides like a gem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2