2021 Denali died while on the road - 292 total miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrosen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Modern cars can have weird problems. My 2008 Denali had a problem where cruise control would cut off, or gauges would all drop to zero, or engine would stop, or various combos of the above. After a month in the shop and calling in GM tech support, they replaced the radio amplifier. Apparently it was putting spurious signals on the CAN bus and causing the problems.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 7500miles on my 21 Yukon. My advice is to stay far away from them. Its currently at dealer service for the 4th time and I sit here at the end of the day wondering if I can pick it up or not; never get a call when it's done. Always calling them to check on status.... Customer service at GM sucks.

Scotty Kilmer is right! Stay far away from modern day GM products.
Sorry to hear you are still having issues. What is your Yukon in for now?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are still having issues. What is your Yukon in for now?
Same issues; headliner creaking, door panel creaking, replacing the rear ground "kick" light, recalls, water sloshing sounds, etc. They wont fix any noise related issues. It's like they don't wont to bother. I've created videos for them and provided the links to conversations on this forum to many issues. Basically showing them its not just in my head. I will try another dealer and continue working with GMC Customer Cares. They need to show me that customer service matters to them. I hope they can provide some kind of extended warranty, because I want to keep it long term. Without a decent warranty I either keep it long term and pay out the ass in repairs, or get rid of it early for a huge loss....

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issues; headliner creaking, door panel creaking, replacing the rear ground "kick" light, recalls, water sloshing sounds, etc. They wont fix any noise related issues. It's like they don't wont to bother. I've created videos for them and provided the links to conversations on this forum to many issues. Basically showing them its not just in my head. I will try another dealer and continue working with GMC Customer Cares. They need to show me that customer service matters to them. I hope they can provide some kind of extended warranty, because I want to keep it long term. Without a decent warranty I either keep it long term and pay out the ass in repairs, or get rid of it early for a huge loss....
Yikes sorry to hear they are giving you the run around on many issues. Hopefully GMC Customer Care can hook you up with a long term warranty like Chevrolet did for me after mine spent over a month in the shop. Keep us posted and hopefully a new dealer will work out for you.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemon law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon law?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked into it, but KY lemon law is not the greatest for the consumer. Not sure my issues quality yet and time keeps running out. Which I know is what Kentucky dealers do on purpose. They kick the can down the road until your mileage or the 1 yr mark runs out.

"Kentucky's 1-year/12,000 miles limit is the least amount of time & mileage for coverage of the 50 state lemon laws, & the four-repairs criteria ties several other states as the most restrictive.

The Kentucky Lemon Law applies when, during the first year or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first), following delivery of a new vehicle:

• the dealer has attempted to repair the same problem four (4) or more times, or
  • the vehicle has been out of service for repair at the dealership for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

To qualify for the Lemon Law, the problem must substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the automobile. Vehicles leased after July 15, 1998 are also covered."

Duke40

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Denali with 2000 kms. Started getting gas smell when stopped at lights or any time idling. Took to dealer he said any smell was normal and they found no fuel leaks.
Since the weather has turned cold it cranks for 5-7 seconds plus to start plus fuel smell is getting more pronounced. Took it back today and at least they now agree it smells like fuel. Not sure what the diagnosis is going to be. A new vehicle with issues sucks. Kinda like being nagged when still on honeymoon....just shouldn't happen.

Turned out to be injector right from factory with O-ring and dust seal both torn. Glad that's solved.

OP
OP
R

Rich3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI to other new 2021 owners. I upgraded from my 2012 Tahoe LTZ (which was completely solid - no issues) to new GMC 2021 Yukon Denali. Purchased 12/15. Literally 3rd trip out of the garage and the truck died 70 miles into a 125 mile trip.

Cruise control turned off, check engine light came on, ECS (emissions) and TCS (traction) lights came on. Truck would restart, rough idle, smell like gas and quit.

Currently towed to local dealer who are looking at it. I'll post more when I learn more. I wanted to share in case this is a systemic issue.

Have a safe and healthy holiday season.
Rich
Here's the latest. Cylinder 3 had bad valve spring. Turns out this is a known issue from this post back in Sep about a bad batch of valve springs. The dealer is replacing all valve springs as recommended by GM.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/0...dresses-valve-spring-issues-in-gm-v8-engines/

Have a good remainder of the holiday season!

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest. Cylinder 3 had bad valve spring. Turns out this is a known issue from this post back in Sep about a bad batch of valve springs. The dealer is replacing all valve springs as recommended by GM.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/0...dresses-valve-spring-issues-in-gm-v8-engines/

Have a good remainder of the holiday season!
Thanks for the update. Now I am going to be a nervous wreck taking it on a long trip. So sad considering the money spent on our Tahoe :( I wish GM would just do the right thing and issue a recall and replace all the springs in the engines that were built during that bad batch of springs. I will most likely use our states Lemon law and turn in our vehicle if i get stranded on a long trip. I have until August to decide if we want to keep it since it already has been in the shop well over 30 days already :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401