2021 Denali died while on the road - 292 total miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the latest. Cylinder 3 had bad valve spring. Turns out this is a known issue from this post back in Sep about a bad batch of valve springs. The dealer is replacing all valve springs as recommended by GM.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/0...dresses-valve-spring-issues-in-gm-v8-engines/

Have a good remainder of the holiday season!
I am turning mine back into GM or taking them to court via Michigan's lemon law. I will know by mid next week. Since my 2021 Tahoe has been in the shop for repairs over 30 days GM is between a rock and a hard space. I found my engine build sticker and discovered it was built on June 9th. So it is safe to say it will be joining the broken valve spring club in the future. With 90 TSBs and multiple recalls it is safe to say the early production units are a headache. I am going to order the exact same vehicle but with the Duramax diesel. It looks like the units rolling off the line have the kinks worked out. We cancelled our trip to Florida. There was no way in hell we were going to load up our kids and a ton of luggage and drive that far with a defective engine. It sucks but better to be safe than sorry. It will only be a local commuter vehicle until the new one arrives. Keep us posted on how your repair is coming along.

!cid_storage_emulated_0__EmailTempImage_1_RotateImage_20201230_205534_jpg_1609380162417.jpg

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to pick either a Denali XL or Suburban GC because they've got the 6.2. You've all convinced me...just keep my old Yukon XL with the 5.3 and be happy it doesn't have all these new-car problems!

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just trying to pick either a Denali XL or Suburban GC because they've got the 6.2. You've all convinced me...just keep my old Yukon XL with the 5.3 and be happy it doesn't have all these new-car problems!
I have been through hell with mine but have no problem ordering a new one this week if GM buys mine back or a 2022 this fall when i get the Lemon Law settlement. I would just stay away from dealer stock for now. The ones being built now hopefully have the early production bugs worked out. I loved driving ours and can't wait to get behind wheel of one again.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Leon00000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been through hell with mine but have no problem ordering a new one this week if GM buys mine back or a 2022 this fall when i get the Lemon Law settlement. I would just stay away from dealer stock for now. The ones being built now hopefully have the early production bugs worked out. I loved driving ours and can't wait to get behind wheel of one again.
How s your truck going? Canada has no Lemon laws and i am start to worried..

Last edited:

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How s your truck going? Canada has no Lemon laws and i am start to worried..
So far so good. I have around 1800 miles on it and the valve springs are holding up. Should have a lemon Law settlement before summer. It will most likely be a cash deal. Our lawyers said buybacks are rare these days. I will most likely purchase a 2022 Tahoe LT with the diesel depending on the amount of the settlement and value of my current 2021. That all depends on how the New 2022 Jeep Wagoneer and Toyota Sequoia turn out. I might get one of those instead. :)

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
My wife's 2021 Escalade experienced the same thing the OP described this morning while using cruise control at 73mph. I happened to be driving and took it straight to the dealer and now I wait. We just got the "Service Levelling System" crap worked out last week and it's back this week for "engine misfire." I'm not the happiest of campers.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's 2021 Escalade experienced the same thing the OP described this morning while using cruise control at 73mph. I happened to be driving and took it straight to the dealer and now I wait. We just got the "Service Levelling System" crap worked out last week and it's back this week for "engine misfire." I'm not the happiest of campers.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is something simple and not a blown valve and/or valve spring. How many miles on your 6.2?

Goldenbear03

Reaction score
Right at 4,500 miles. I spoke to the dealership for an update late yesterday afternoon and they think it’s a fuel injection issue of some sort. It continued to give technicians problems yesterday morning, but they couldn’t replicate the problem in the afternoon. They’re going to get back at it this morning. I specifically asked about the valve spring issue, but that wouldn’t make sense if the issue is on again, off again. I’ll keep you all posted.