2021 Denali died while on the road - 292 total miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had a new vehicle die on me in the past.

I bought an 1989 Ford Mustang GT brand new and within a couple days while driving down the highway it died and wouldn't re-start. Had it towed back to the dealership. They said the fuel pump went out. This was on a Friday afternoon and they couldn't get the part until Monday morning and they technically couldn't give me a loaner because I wasn't old enough (was only 17 or 18 at the time), so I talked to the salesman that sold me the car, who also happened to be the son of the owner of the dealership, and he pulled a car off the lot and put a dealer plate on it and said if anyone asks tell them you're test driving it....lol

Anyway, even new parts can be defective once in a while. It sucks that it happened when you were a ways away from home though.

OP
OP
R

Rich3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wonder if it is your fuel pump and/or fuel pump control module. Mine went out at the 616 mile mark. . Onstar provided a error code. It was P1029, ( fuel pump open circuits) . I was without it for over a month due to the lack of available parts. Hopefully they are in stock and you get back on the road in no time.Keep us posted
Thanks for the tip! I will ask the dealer mechanic tomorrow.

OP
OP
R

Rich3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI to other new 2021 owners. I upgraded from my 2012 Tahoe LTZ (which was completely solid - no issues) to new GMC 2021 Yukon Denali. Purchased 12/15. Literally 3rd trip out of the garage and the truck died 70 miles into a 125 mile trip.

Cruise control turned off, check engine light came on, ECS (emissions) and TCS (traction) lights came on. Truck would restart, rough idle, smell like gas and quit.

Currently towed to local dealer who are looking at it. I'll post more when I learn more. I wanted to share in case this is a systemic issue.

Have a safe and healthy holiday season.
Rich
Thanks everyone for the welcome and well wishes. Appreciate the feedback.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sucks to hear that
got to LUV first year blues.

maybe GM really wanted to do get whatever option that you passed on. ;) LOL

hopefully they get you sorted out quickly.

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
Great story gooffeyguy and do please let us all know it goes Rich3!

I have a 21 Yukon Denali Duramax Diesel on order after owning a 2017 4Runner for 4 years with zero problems(other than it eating brakes) and am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst with the new rig. It's the price we all pay for enjoying the technology and of course issues can happen with any vehicle and from any manufacturer.

Good luck Rich3 and hope your rig gets diagnosed and repaired quickly and this is your last issue.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great story gooffeyguy and do please let us all know it goes Rich3!

I have a 21 Yukon Denali Duramax Diesel on order after owning a 2017 4Runner for 4 years with zero problems(other than it eating brakes) and am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst with the new rig. It's the price we all pay for enjoying the technology and of course issues can happen with any vehicle and from any manufacturer.

Good luck Rich3 and hope your rig gets diagnosed and repaired quickly and this is your last issue.

let’s us know what you think as soon as you have some experience with this vehicle.. ordering the same thing within the next month.....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problems but welcome to the forum from over here in Oregon.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I will ask the dealer mechanic tomorrow.
Sounds good. Please keep us posted. I am getting ready to take ours on a trip and now I worry about breaking down. Pretty sad considering these vehicles exceed 65k in price.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had to replace a TCM on a 2021 Tahoe with 112 miles on it at the dealership I work at.

YetiOn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its did the same to me. Its your valve springs. My number 6 broke. Its a defect from the manufacturer. They had to replace all of them. There's a TSB out there. Its a one to two day fix. Hopefully compression holds and if not, new engine time. Keep us posted.