2021 Escalade vs 2021 Yukon Denali. Warning!! Long read…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngelaBoca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had
I apologize for the long story but trust me I couldn’t help but reach out to you all.

So I’ve owned a 2021 Yukon Denali since mid February 2021 and have loved almost every aspect of it as yet….except the power to be honest. It has a 6.2L V8 and having owned several, only Denalis, be it Yukons or Sierras (ALL 6.2L V8 motors) since 2011….I’ve come to expect a certain level of performance from these engines and they always delivered….until now. With the 2021 Yukon Denali I felt they’ve really softened the vehicle up with the tune or something. When I mash the gas pedal, sure the truck moves but there’s no sense of urgency or aggression that used to be very much the case in my previous trucks.
I thought that in 2015, they made the Yukons/Tahoes/Escalades real quiet. Maybe this is just another step to making these vehicles more sophisticated and “smooth”. So I accepted it as “It is what it is”.

Three days ago, my father took delivery of his long awaited 2021 Escalade (took 9 months to come since we ordered). It came with the same motor…or so I’d like to believe. He’s a little superstitious and weird this way. He never drives a car from brand new…he always gives it to me to put on the maiden 800 miles or so…hence I’ve had the luxury of driving it around for the past 3 days and I’ve come to the following conclusions:

1. I now hate my Denali after having experienced the interior/exterior and luxuries of the Escalade. The materials and technology employed…it’s all just sooooo good. Back in 2015 when i had the Denali, dad had also gotten an Escalade…the differences didn’t feel a world apart…but now…they certainly do. You really feel the $25,000-$30,000 difference between the two trucks.

2. I definitely more so do not like my specific truck because, all those things I mentioned above about the 6.2L motor still very much exist in this new Escalade whereas my Denali just feels like a slob. Even the hard acceleration is so smooth and linear in the Caddy whereas the GMC feels like it’s VERY mildly stuttering under hard acceleration. It definitely feels as though it has lesser power than the Caddy. The Caddy just gets up and goes. It feels like the good ‘ol American truck muscle I’ve always known. My GMC, something just feels off about how it drives.

I know from various reviews that the Caddy rides…rather floats better than the GMC and I expect that because its a Caddy but such a vast difference in how the two motors sound and behave. Now I don’t remember the production dates, however I remember having looked up my truck and unfortunately it falls in the date range of when GM trucks were being built with the faulty lifters. Could my motor experience be because of that? Is my truck not performing as desired due to this reason? Problem is that I’m doing over 8,000 miles now and my engine is driving just as “healthy” as it did the day I picked it up from the dealership 8 months ago. But it ain’t no Escalade’s in terms of performance….anybody have any opinion or experience on this? I’d love to

AngelaBoca

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apologize for the long story but trust me I couldn’t help but reach out to you all.

So I’ve owned a 2021 Yukon Denali since mid February 2021 and have loved almost every aspect of it as yet….except the power to be honest. It has a 6.2L V8 and having owned several, only Denalis, be it Yukons or Sierras (ALL 6.2L V8 motors) since 2011….I’ve come to expect a certain level of performance from these engines and they always delivered….until now. With the 2021 Yukon Denali I felt they’ve really softened the vehicle up with the tune or something. When I mash the gas pedal, sure the truck moves but there’s no sense of urgency or aggression that used to be very much the case in my previous trucks.
I thought that in 2015, they made the Yukons/Tahoes/Escalades real quiet. Maybe this is just another step to making these vehicles more sophisticated and “smooth”. So I accepted it as “It is what it is”.

Three days ago, my father took delivery of his long awaited 2021 Escalade (took 9 months to come since we ordered). It came with the same motor…or so I’d like to believe. He’s a little superstitious and weird this way. He never drives a car from brand new…he always gives it to me to put on the maiden 800 miles or so…hence I’ve had the luxury of driving it around for the past 3 days and I’ve come to the following conclusions:

1. I now hate my Denali after having experienced the interior/exterior and luxuries of the Escalade. The materials and technology employed…it’s all just sooooo good. Back in 2015 when i had the Denali, dad had also gotten an Escalade…the differences didn’t feel a world apart…but now…they certainly do. You really feel the $25,000-$30,000 difference between the two trucks.

2. I definitely more so do not like my specific truck because, all those things I mentioned above about the 6.2L motor still very much exist in this new Escalade whereas my Denali just feels like a slob. Even the hard acceleration is so smooth and linear in the Caddy whereas the GMC feels like it’s VERY mildly stuttering under hard acceleration. It definitely feels as though it has lesser power than the Caddy. The Caddy just gets up and goes. It feels like the good ‘ol American truck muscle I’ve always known. My GMC, something just feels off about how it drives.

I know from various reviews that the Caddy rides…rather floats better than the GMC and I expect that because its a Caddy but such a vast difference in how the two motors sound and behave. Now I don’t remember the production dates, however I remember having looked up my truck and unfortunately it falls in the date range of when GM trucks were being built with the faulty lifters. Could my motor experience be because of that? Is my truck not performing as desired due to this reason? Problem is that I’m doing over 8,000 miles now and my engine is driving just as “healthy” as it did the day I picked it up from the dealership 8 months ago. But it ain’t no Escalade’s in terms of performance….anybody have any opinion or experience on this? I’d love to hear….
I had a 2021 Yukon Denali that I purchased Sept 2020. I loved that car but totaled it in Feb 2021 with 5400 miles on it.

Because of the crazy car market my insurance paid me way more than I paid for it so I upgraded to the Escalade, 2021 also.

The Escalade had the lifter failure in Jun 2021 at 6000 miles. I got the car back after a month at the dealer.

At 9000 miles the add engine oil light came on. Took it into the dealer and they said it was 2 quarts low. They topped it off amd I had to take it back every 1000 miles to have the oil measured.

First 1000 miles level was fine. At 2000 miles half a quart low. They didn’t add oil. At 3000 miles a quart and a half low. They did an oil change and said that they haven’t seen this yet in the 2021 models and GM Engineering would be contacting me with the next steps. 3 weeks later and nothing from GM - I understand the holiday delays so I will wait another week to reach out but this is frustrating.

The Denali ran great and got way better gas mileage than the Escalade. The Escalade is a pig on gas and is way less responsive than the Denali. GM is really breaking my heart with this car.

OP
OP
A

Ajmalian

Reaction score
I had a 2021 Yukon Denali that I purchased Sept 2020. I loved that car but totaled it in Feb 2021 with 5400 miles on it.

Because of the crazy car market my insurance paid me way more than I paid for it so I upgraded to the Escalade, 2021 also.

The Escalade had the lifter failure in Jun 2021 at 6000 miles. I got the car back after a month at the dealer.

At 9000 miles the add engine oil light came on. Took it into the dealer and they said it was 2 quarts low. They topped it off amd I had to take it back every 1000 miles to have the oil measured.

First 1000 miles level was fine. At 2000 miles half a quart low. They didn’t add oil. At 3000 miles a quart and a half low. They did an oil change and said that they haven’t seen this yet in the 2021 models and GM Engineering would be contacting me with the next steps. 3 weeks later and nothing from GM - I understand the holiday delays so I will wait another week to reach out but this is frustrating.

The Denali ran great and got way better gas mileage than the Escalade. The Escalade is a pig on gas and is way less responsive than the Denali. GM is really breaking my heart with this car.
It’s so odd that we have two different stories from two ends of the spectrum about the same two cars. Sorry to hear what happened to the Denali and more so for what your going through with the Caddy. It’s a shame really. I wish GM would maintain standards better across the board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844