2019 Tahoe lifter failure at 47000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ls200608

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site. My 2019 Tahoe Z71 just had a collapsed lifter at 47000 miles and I'm quite shocked that such catastrophic engine failure can occur at such low mileage. :(

The truck was well maintained and ran butter smooth before this incident and there was never any sign of problem until this happened yesterday. Thankfully that I was very close to my dealership (Dublin Buick GMC in Dublin CA) at the time and limped to the shop, the service advisor told me to wait a day before it can be diagnosed since they are having a labor shortage and parts shortage. Got a call today from him and was told one of the lifters from the passenger side bank had collapsed and they have new lifters available but not the VLOM, which is in national back order. Since the engine is not taken apart yet they don't know if there's further damage to the cam or if the pushrod is bent. According to the advisor they can only replace all the lifters of the affected bank but not the other side. Apparently I'll be driving my rental for no less than a month or maybe even longer.

I'm just wondering what are the odds that after this repair one or more lifters from the driver side bank fails without any warning ?! I have always been told the weak link in these trucks are the transmissions which prone to torque converter failures around 100k, never would have imagined engine can fail at just 47k.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event. It is completely frustrating I'm sure, and a lot disheartening. This IS a common thing unfortunately, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of rhyme or reason as to when/why they fail.

My speculations are on oil change intervals possibly allow for dirty oil to slowly degrade that fragile system. Also, I don't have proof of this other than years of engine experience, but I'm wondering if the 0w-20 oil just doesn't quite cut it for long term survival (?) I only run 5w-30 in mine and use a range Device to keep it in V8 mode. 130k so far, doesn't use a drop of oil, oil stays really clean for the most part. Fingers crossed......

Glad it's at least covered under warranty. Best of luck

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My experience is that the horror stories about the cheaply made torque convertors are true. Our 2013's Torque convertor started grinding its guts into the 6L80 transmission this last summer with just 112K on the clock. And that's with trans Fluid/Filter changes every 3 years. Back on the road after 3 weeks in the shop for a complete rebuild along with a rebuilt Sonnax torque convertor (with thicker housing) and $4600 less cash in our savings account. My daily driver '08 Ram 1500 going strong at 168K. Engine and Trans both doing well. Of course the Dodge is the one with a L/T bumper to bumper warranty... not so lucky on the Tahoe, having purchased it used from a friend when it was just 4 years old. That said, we still love our Tahoe! Looking forward to a lot more miles.

Good article on the JMBX torque convertors: https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/flex-bend-a-look-at-the-6l80-90-jmbx-torque-converter/

OP
OP
L

ls200608

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate event. It is completely frustrating I'm sure, and a lot disheartening. This IS a common thing unfortunately, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of rhyme or reason as to when/why they fail.

My speculations are on oil change intervals possibly allow for dirty oil to slowly degrade that fragile system. Also, I don't have proof of this other than years of engine experience, but I'm wondering if the 0w-20 oil just doesn't quite cut it for long term survival (?) I only run 5w-30 in mine and use a range Device to keep it in V8 mode. 130k so far, doesn't use a drop of oil, oil stays really clean for the most part. Fingers crossed......

Thanks for your prompt message. My truck was so new so I had to follow the OEM oil type (0W20) in case GM wont stand behind their warranty. I changed the oil every 30~50k depending on the type of drying I do, usually ~50% oil life. I live in California and the Range company will not ship their V4 shutoff device here. My warranty will expire April next year, I'm not sure what to to if this happens again outside warranty, based on CA Bay area labor cost I'd assume such repair would cost >5000 dollars :(

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes....I'm not sure if the range device works on 2019 or not. Something about the 10-speed trans I think. If it WILL work, then just have a family member or friend out of state order it.

OP
OP
L

ls200608

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yikes....I'm not sure if the range device works on 2019 or not. Something about the 10-speed trans I think. If it WILL work, then just have a family member or friend out of state order it.
The 2019 Tahoe still uses the old 6L80 trans instead of 10 spd from Ford/GM collaboration; and as far as I know, GM has not done anything to beef up the torque converter in the 6L80. The Silverado on the other hand had the option of the 10 spd since 2019.

I think their updated range device does work in 2019 Tahoe, just a matter of getting it.

Coming from a 2016 F150 XLT 5.0 with the 6R80, I truly think the Ford powertrain was more solid than GM's 5.3/6L80. My biggest fear has always been the tranny not the engine. Let's see if my dealer can do a good repair job on this one, their service advisor told me they are having a labor shortage, I guess this is most likely a national problem. I was thinking about going back to the Ford camp since this engine failure, but then upon looking at Ford's new setup (Ecoboost V6, V8 with cylinder deactivation + rubber pump belt, 10 spd tranny etc) I'm not sure if I want to switch back. Anyhow, I still love my Tahoe and it's paid off, it's a always been a sweet ride as long as the engine doesn't crap out on me.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I liked that Ford held out on the AFM junk the longest. I think you can still get 2020 or 2021 with good old V8 stuff

Bagherra

Reaction score

Whats a "Range Device" and where can i get one?

Bagherra

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt message. My truck was so new so I had to follow the OEM oil type (0W20) in case GM wont stand behind their warranty. I changed the oil every 30~50k depending on the type of drying I do, usually ~50% oil life. I live in California and the Range company will not ship their V4 shutoff device here. My warranty will expire April next year, I'm not sure what to to if this happens again outside warranty, based on CA Bay area labor cost I'd assume such repair would cost >5000 dollars :(
did u mean you change the oil every 3000-5000 miles?

topaq

Reaction score
I have a 2019 GMC Yukon with 6.2L and 10 speed. Got a Range device and it does work on my car. Actually my around town mileage improved a little. Now about 15.9 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt