2015 GMC YukonXL- Fox Coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would guess that if running a smaller diameter wheel along with a 2.0, the narrow taper would preferred for backspace selections...you could possibly hit the wheel barrel or tire if a wide taper is selected with the wrong wheel choice

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Fabtech kit USED to be labeled a 4” kit but so many people complained that the back came out to 5” and the front only a true 3”. I think they finally got tired of people calling them out on not getting the height up front (without adding a lower strut spacer). On my 2016 Denali Yukon i just added a suspensionmaxx 1” lower strut spacer and it jumped up an inch to get the true 4” and when I swapped out my
Factory magnetic strut for an aftermarket Monroe I actually got another inch of height bringing my front up 5” to match and level the rear height. My front and rear fenders matched at 42”. Most guys with the BDS or similar 4” kits measure 41” at the fender.

it’s when I started swapping the Monroe’s for Fox 2.0 that I created a shit storm of ride height loss issues unexpectedly.

I’m expecting the front to be 38” with the Fox 2.5 and the rear to be 41” with the 3” rear spring spacer and Fox 2.0. The install shop said to get everything on there and see first but I’ve kind of been down this road before. I’m pretty sure we will be swapping to a 1-2” spring spacer in the rear to get achieve leveling

Are you saying you were running 5” of lift up front with the control arms in the stock position?!

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you were running 5” of lift up front with the control arms in the stock position?!

5” upfront with the supplied UCA in the Fabtech kit (K1081). The 3” top strut spacer, 1” from swapping to the Monroe Strut (I dont know how but the front jumped up post install), and 1” from the suspensionmaxx 1” lower strut spacer.

prob at least 100k or closer to 150k miles on that setup. Only opted to upgrade to the Fox 2.0 after all those miles bc I thought it may ride better and softer....but it didn’t. Still a firm ride. I didn’t have any issues with ball joints, noises, torn boots or Anything.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5” upfront with the supplied UCA in the Fabtech kit (K1081). The 3” top strut spacer, 1” from swapping to the Monroe Strut (I dont know how but the front jumped up post install), and 1” from the suspensionmaxx 1” lower strut spacer.

prob at least 100k or closer to 150k miles on that setup. Only opted to upgrade to the Fox 2.0 after all those miles bc I thought it may ride better and softer....but it didn’t. Still a firm ride. I didn’t have any issues with ball joints, noises, torn boots or Anything.

No kidding. Well I will be damned. When I first put the 2.0 fox's on and they were up around 3”, it looked like everything was damn near maxed out at ride height.

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding. Well I will be damned. When I first put the 2.0 fox's on and they were up around 3”, it looked like everything was damn near maxed out at ride height.

when I switched to Fox 2.0 up front I lost 2.5” of ride height. We couldn’t utilize the Fabtech top strut spacer anymore so it was just the lower strut spacer 1” and the Fox coils maxed out. I was sitting at 39.5” up front and no longer 42” anymore. Of course the install
Shop didn’t know this until after I dropped $1300. I was pissed.

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Fabtech today to order my 3” budget kit and he told me he would not do the 2.5 coilovers. He said they purposely don’t offer strut replacements with their kits for the Yukon/YukonxL bc they come with nice struts from the factory........

so now I’m prob going to have the 3” Fabtech kit installed and just keep my factory struts and rear shocks to assess the ride quality. And THEN I’ll swap over
To the 2.5 coilovers and rear Fox 2.0
So I can provide real honest feedback on my impressions on difference in ride and performance

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly dont feel much of any difference between the factory struts (with and without leveling spacers) and the fox struts.

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly dont feel much of any difference between the factory struts (with and without leveling spacers) and the fox struts.

Thats what is starting to sink in. I went ahead and bought some New Monroe struts and Monroe’s for the back and I’m just going to see how they feel with the strut spacer up front and shock extensions in the back. I’m searching for a soft ride and 0% off-road use and EVERYTHING I’ve read on coilovers mentions even stiffer ride than stock. No use in spending $$$ for a logo and equipment I’m not gonna use. The new Monroe’s were $360 all the way around. My factory suspension has 77k miles and rides like a dream, but I figured I’d replace since they were going to have it all off for the Fabtech kit install

Cadi_Mike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats what is starting to sink in. I went ahead and bought some New Monroe struts and Monroe’s for the back and I’m just going to see how they feel with the strut spacer up front and shock extensions in the back. I’m searching for a soft ride and 0% off-road use and EVERYTHING I’ve read on coilovers mentions even stiffer ride than stock. No use in spending $$$ for a logo and equipment I’m not gonna use. The new Monroe’s were $360 all the way around. My factory suspension has 77k miles and rides like a dream, but I figured I’d replace since they were going to have it all off for the Fabtech kit install

Nokturnal, Just sharing my thoughts/input as we have similar desires for these SUVs.

I have a 2015 Escalade with the Monroe struts swapped in the front. In my opinion, I don't like the ride quality they have. It is decent, but lacking compared to factory magnaride(not replacing magnaride because of cost and short life). I am being picky, but that's me, lol.

I have been doing a lot of research and my current plan is to go to a King 2.5 setup with aftermarket control arm. Gain the 3" or so of front height. Then hope to stuff 35s with trimming and norcal mod.

Not going to do this soon, but once I save up that is the plan to go with. I really like the look project suburban has with this 35s, kings, and UCAs. I rode in my friend's tacoma yesterday with king 2.5s and I loved the ride. Obviously that is a different vehicle, but I loved the king 2.5 ride over my Monroes. My friend suggested working with a good shock tuning place and to have them tune the king 2.5s to the weight of the vehicle and tune the valving for whatever ride I was looking for(plush). He also mentioned you can have King 2.5 with the fox 2.5 adjuster to have even more adjustment(I haven't looked into that).

Here is a website\company I found and when I am ready, going to call to discuss further for my desired setup. Just thought I would share my research:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...1500-07-18-front-2-5-r-r-coilover-w-adjuster/

Here is my truck on 33x12.5s on factory suspension(yes it rubbed in the front). IMG_20200811_163803.jpg

Now here is my current setup with the monroe struts and more street wheel/tire setup
_rli5cX0WkZHa5MsJsTHAUP9d7WpSQIcxF9OIrJsQLXkW17E8iv6VlSenz-D3OZQ0YlFw0WYRQ_C62skynPfGwX9Le2eKeY_FCnSmiRkfvgpJDW10oEm4hii15izFjUQBQv2hVUURaAJoyupgy41yxfiDngyRYrwOAO4aSBTUy1F7CzI5Qs4K76DnjYriq3ntIai7wduMTfr_OrHY2qsT8dQgriBsqD_MRmoqqfMTZ2nNj8OyY43so-w4n0hEheGGVmyDByB0D__914W1AZ5BhkbIE7wK7WvZRocTO-ROUJLM926qQqemspaZeS3xyog3M2Ctm-m_Q8nCePWZmQxWmIqagXkIl_yzqn3lyGzS6qlKWxyYJBjcu9yFXf6_GCMazZZcTYb7E--42sDuko2oTLC1rReA-WV_036Yw2ISsY6S-npMFe7X-1jQ5ex1qDpT_5inj7mPryKnwHg0oO3qUfIlWus1fLljGyq2XnRThroRTy_jjjhv8vvTwO-HVXpP4sSzPDqcry2iekC_zasPt-gFI0inbtUXNc75qSpDoaNdeFlKhvxC0Du-0dw9fMTMLwV9RgpsA7suJZY43I_LgO5RLRG8k60aJLVGR2T3JD9mLys2rZY-toTwrcYzqEY0LRuzSizjYs545T6Y0FkBsJC0ke5B-dS-WZu2BI2hlFGK63Gyt1wKQX_A8cijQ=w1010-h757-no

Looking forward to hearing what your experience is with the monroes and what you end up settling on. Best of luck

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nokturnal, Just sharing my thoughts/input as we have similar desires for these SUVs.

I have a 2015 Escalade with the Monroe struts swapped in the front. In my opinion, I don't like the ride quality they have. It is decent, but lacking compared to factory magnaride(not replacing magnaride because of cost and short life). I am being picky, but that's me, lol.

I have been doing a lot of research and my current plan is to go to a King 2.5 setup with aftermarket control arm. Gain the 3" or so of front height. Then hope to stuff 35s with trimming and norcal mod.

Not going to do this soon, but once I save up that is the plan to go with. I really like the look project suburban has with this 35s, kings, and UCAs. I rode in my friend's tacoma yesterday with king 2.5s and I loved the ride. Obviously that is a different vehicle, but I loved the king 2.5 ride over my Monroes. My friend suggested working with a good shock tuning place and to have them tune the king 2.5s to the weight of the vehicle and tune the valving for whatever ride I was looking for(plush). He also mentioned you can have King 2.5 with the fox 2.5 adjuster to have even more adjustment(I haven't looked into that).

Here is a website\company I found and when I am ready, going to call to discuss further for my desired setup. Just thought I would share my research:
https://accutuneoffroad.com/product...1500-07-18-front-2-5-r-r-coilover-w-adjuster/

Here is my truck on 33x12.5s on factory suspension(yes it rubbed in the front). View attachment 266193

Now here is my current setup with the monroe struts and more street wheel/tire setup
_rli5cX0WkZHa5MsJsTHAUP9d7WpSQIcxF9OIrJsQLXkW17E8iv6VlSenz-D3OZQ0YlFw0WYRQ_C62skynPfGwX9Le2eKeY_FCnSmiRkfvgpJDW10oEm4hii15izFjUQBQv2hVUURaAJoyupgy41yxfiDngyRYrwOAO4aSBTUy1F7CzI5Qs4K76DnjYriq3ntIai7wduMTfr_OrHY2qsT8dQgriBsqD_MRmoqqfMTZ2nNj8OyY43so-w4n0hEheGGVmyDByB0D__914W1AZ5BhkbIE7wK7WvZRocTO-ROUJLM926qQqemspaZeS3xyog3M2Ctm-m_Q8nCePWZmQxWmIqagXkIl_yzqn3lyGzS6qlKWxyYJBjcu9yFXf6_GCMazZZcTYb7E--42sDuko2oTLC1rReA-WV_036Yw2ISsY6S-npMFe7X-1jQ5ex1qDpT_5inj7mPryKnwHg0oO3qUfIlWus1fLljGyq2XnRThroRTy_jjjhv8vvTwO-HVXpP4sSzPDqcry2iekC_zasPt-gFI0inbtUXNc75qSpDoaNdeFlKhvxC0Du-0dw9fMTMLwV9RgpsA7suJZY43I_LgO5RLRG8k60aJLVGR2T3JD9mLys2rZY-toTwrcYzqEY0LRuzSizjYs545T6Y0FkBsJC0ke5B-dS-WZu2BI2hlFGK63Gyt1wKQX_A8cijQ=w1010-h757-no

Looking forward to hearing what your experience is with the monroes and what you end up settling on. Best of luck

I’ll definitely keep you posted on how it goes. Love the look of both your old wheel/tire combo and the new one. My last few vehicles have had 20”+ wheels and non-trimming size tires with big lifts so this time I figured let’s change my look and go BIG tires and trim with a smaller lift.

On my last 16 Yukon Denali with MRC I saw a increase in ride quality when I went to the Monroe’s. I had it from mileage 0 brand new and I just never felt the MRC was great. The xineering rep told me he loved his Monroe’s and they were cost effective and I did like the way they rode after switching. Slightly softer ride and much better with the bumps on the road than my Magnetic factories. I even saw a 1” height increase up front after the installation of Monroe’s.

Fabtech makes a dirt logic coilover 2.5 specifically tuned for the Fabtech 3” kit which seemed like maybe even a better route than king or Fox 2.5.....but most people agree king/Fox > dirt logic but I don’t know how king/Fox compare to the tuned dirt logic 2.5. The dirt logic is also same price tuned as the king/Fox are without being custom valved/tuned. I love the idea of having name brand stuff on the vehicle but then I had to catch myself in not getting caught up in that bc of my end goals of having a soft riding 100% highway vehicle. And with my experience before of going to the Fox 2.0 on the last Denali proved spending the extra money resulted in me not being as happy as I was with just the Monroe’s and Fabtech strut spacer. I’m hoping I love the Monroe’s ride, but if it isn’t any better I will 100% be trying one of the 2.5 options for the front and back and do that within the 2021 year. The Fabtech rep was really pushing the tuned dirt logics but then realized my vehicle was a SUV and realized we have the strut/coilover factory strut and just flat out told me I would be just as happy with factory/Monroe strut and the Fabtech front kit. I respected he wasn’t trying to just “sell” me something. And I’m not scared to at least give the Monroe’s a try and assess from there. Just waiting on Fabtech to ship the kit and I’ll be able to chime back in. Their stuff is on 3-4 week backorder currently. Discount called and said my wheels and tires were in though so I’ll post pics of those when I pick them up to take them to the Suspension install spot.