2015 GMC YukonXL- Fox Coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8105D1CD-E0B9-4B8D-9481-01DBA1782807.jpeg Well guys I just picked up a low mileage 2015 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 and I was ready to slap on a BDS 6” and some 22x10 & 35’s but BDS is on a 4-6 month Backorder. I want to still fit in the garage and 6” lift is max i could go. I know the fab tech 6” kit actually goes a little taller at 7” and all the other solid lifts are still 7” or more. So this got me thinking instead of driving this old man grocery getter Around stock.....

if I wanted to achieve a 3.5” lift up front couldn’t I use upgrade to Fox coilovers up front (add 2” height” and then just throw a suspension max 1.5 spacer below the Fox coils to get my 3.5” total? Ride quality and CV geometry would still be considerably better than all these lifts that incorporate large strut spacers etc right?

And for the back I could just swap out the auto ride reara for some Fox 2.0 and add a suspensionmaxx 1.5” or 2” rear coil spacer to get it to match the front height. (I could just disable the air ride feature according to the xineering page). This vehicle doesn’t have the magnetic ride equipment, just the rear auto ride pump and shock.

figured I’d just opt for a solid ride quality upgrade and smaller 3.5” lift with some 18x9 wheels and 34” AT’s for that rock crawler look. And then in 6 months if I’m not happy with the look and height i could always swap in the BDS 6” kit whenever it’s available again. But I kind of dig the rock crawler look the more i see setups. I was just unsure if it would be as simple and Fox coilovers and a spacer for the front and back.

What do y’all think? The pic is just a burban with 2.5” lift upfront from king 2.5’s. He also has 35’s which look awesome but man is not sure how they cut enough for those to work lol but they did.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fox 2.5 (https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...vrolet-suburban-2wd-4wd-w-0-3-lift-883-02-028 ) offers 3", but requires an after market control arm...the one mentioned is an ICON part and very pricey.

yes, you can stack items, but not recommended. i prefer an engineered setup. 3.5" is MAX on these years due to joint angles...
again, i would prefer the 4" over a stacked 3.5 with maxed angles, generally the hard parts of the 4 and 6 are one in the same...

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I decided on going Fox Coilovers up front with a 1” suspension max spacer and also use a Zone UCA.

Fox 2.0’s in the back and adding a 2” coil spacer.

That should be 3” up front (better UCA too) riding on a Coilover and 2” lift out back.

Going with a 18x9.5 -18 Forged Black Rhino Wheel on 295/70/18 (34.3 inch tall).

Fox shows to have a steering stabilizer for $170....would I see any benefit from adding that over the factory steer stabilizer?

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the grandpa grocery getter! She won’t look like this for long. Updates to follow or other suggestions on above if necessary.

CCEA318D-BC9A-4C3C-8791-9BDFF92ADAC6.jpeg

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
careful w/ Black Rhino rims.... i had lots of QC issues w/ mine. so i got rid of them.

i like where you are going w/ the rock crawler look

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
careful w/ Black Rhino rims.... i had lots of QC issues w/ mine. so i got rid of them.

i like where you are going w/ the rock crawler look

Thank you gator. Just paint issues? Yeah going rock crawler was an easy choice with the BDS back order. I wasn’t gonna be able to drive it stock for that long. Then it got my wheels turning. Anyone who’s installed the fab tech budget 4” lift kit that runs $800 only gets 3” lift up front so I was like why not get coilovers and the same lift for a fraction more money. I think with the wheels/tires, coilovers, Zone UCA, spacers, and AMP steps I’m at $5100 total. The BDS install was going to be closer to $8k And no coilovers.

I had a 2016 Denali Yukon and went 5” lift and 20x10 33” combo...so the rock crawler look will be a good Change.

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The final result should look like this! I’m pumped. All my vinyl blackout is ordered. My windows are already 5% ceramic all the way around. And I’ve got my all black gmc grill headed this way as well.

EE9E05CE-89D0-4AEB-91E7-F0F1E8F98FD0.jpeg

OP
OP
Nokturnal

Nokturnal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Place in Michigan foes these OEM brand new GM part blackouts for $279 shipped.

1402D0A3-67D0-43EC-AEA3-A9DB3ADF4FA6.jpeg

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a spacer on top of adjustable coil overs is silly. You can absolutely buy whatever length you need if that’s the route you go. Running a 2.5” shock up front and a 2” out back is also silly, these are large vehicles that carry a lot of rear weight and I’d highly consider getting matching 2.5” matching rears. FOX will not offer improved “ride quality” unless you have them custom valved, most “OE” replacements are quite a bit stiffer than factory which by itself isn’t What most folks are looking for. Going over 2.5” of lift will also lower the ride quality as your other factory components are not designed to work at hose angles.

I think you are trying to make a certain setup work when you really just want a large lift. I’d personally wait and get what you want. Most of the large shock companies are also having COVID related delays.

If you can get can get over not having a huge lifted truck, I’d advocate for oe King 2.5” front and back with dirt king UCAs with 33’s. I’ve run an equivalent setup on two vehicles and I’m very pleased. I went with Bilstein 5100s this go around and not as happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14