2004 6.0 NV4500 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have @randeez come over. He'll weld that exhaust on for ya, no problemo. He has been practicing ya know.

Those bits are cheap compared to the old days. Good to know they are not a pile of shit. Looking forward to your solution. The bottoming out/clank sound would drive me nuts.

His welds probably look better than mine, welding on round stuff is annoying.

I was shocked at how good they are for the price! I only ended up using one bit yesterday and it showed no signs of wear, I did dip it in Bar/chain oil every so often but I gave it every bit of RPM my little cordless Dremel could muster. The bottoming out isn't that terrible its more annoying than anything, need to get an alignment scheduled again.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have about 8' of 2" diameter .375 thick DOM (I think) in my scrap pile. Just don't know how in the hell I would make it not look like total dog shit. I suppose cut the cross member flat and plate the ends with some 3/16s then weld the tubular cross member from plate to plate. However, there's no way to get the tailpipes out of the way without cutting them since the closest joint is in front of the big Flopro. So either way it seems the tail pipes would need to be removed/reworked.

**Edit** Didn't see your pictures until after I posted. That would work great If I was going from frame rail to frame rail but, I think the important thing is having something connecting the body mounts so they don't try to sag down or break off.
Just make it a Bluetooth connection..!
(Credit for this comment goes to VGG)

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His welds probably look better than mine, welding on round stuff is annoying.

I was shocked at how good they are for the price! I only ended up using one bit yesterday and it showed no signs of wear, I did dip it in Bar/chain oil every so often but I gave it every bit of RPM my little cordless Dremel could muster. The bottoming out isn't that terrible its more annoying than anything, need to get an alignment scheduled again.

Practice makes perfect in the welding department. Like Randy, you too can learn to weld with a few simple adjustments here and there:cheers:

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make it a Bluetooth connection..!
(Credit for this comment goes to VGG)

What app do I need to download? :jester:

Practice makes perfect in the welding department. Like Randy, you too can learn to weld with a few simple adjustments here and there:cheers:

I'd be more apt to practice exhaust welding if I wasn't laying on my back with my face inches from the weld lol.

Storytime: Long ago I did an exhaust hanger repair for an old supervisor. I was laying on my back under his Frontier in the dirt holding his exhaust up with my left hand and using my right to try and reweld the hanger. As I pulled the trigger a huge blob of slag landed on my chest, burned through my shirt and skin causing me to drop the mig gun and let go of the exhaust. The exhaust then bopped me in the head and left a nice scar on my fore head. Had I not been so poor I would have had a welding mask instead of Harbor Freight welding goggles, the mask would have probably saved my face.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the welds look great if you dont look at them

i'll post some pics of V2.0, its still pretty ugly. but in between all that there are some good beads laid 2" at a time. would need some sort of turntable or lathe to be able to run it any better around tubing, it is annoying as said

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the welds look great if you dont look at them

i'll post some pics of V2.0, its still pretty ugly. but in between all that there are some good beads laid 2" at a time. would need some sort of turntable or latch to be able to run it any better around tubing, it is annoying as said

Youre doing tig right? I'm not worried about having stainless exhaust so Mig is fine for me. Just turn down the heat and glob on! :head3:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What app do I need to download? :jester:

I'd be more apt to practice exhaust welding if I wasn't laying on my back with my face inches from the weld lol.

Storytime: Long ago I did an exhaust hanger repair for an old supervisor. I was laying on my back under his Frontier in the dirt holding his exhaust up with my left hand and using my right to try and reweld the hanger. As I pulled the trigger a huge blob of slag landed on my chest, burned through my shirt and skin causing me to drop the mig gun and let go of the exhaust. The exhaust then bopped me in the head and left a nice scar on my fore head. Had I not been so poor I would have had a welding mask instead of Harbor Freight welding goggles, the mask would have probably saved my face.

Yes, welding on your back or above your head a sucks! When I was younger, I used to cut a little slit in the seam of my jeans at the bottom, you know, like everyone did. More than once I caught myself on fire. Nothing like welding and thinking "damn, that light is warming up the leg nicely" followed quickly by "oh shit!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98