2000 'Hoe shift indicator/odometer gone blank

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Randy Whistler, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler Out standing in my field

Name:
    Randy
    This has happened before from time to time, but now it seems to have left the building. In prior occurrences, I was able to tap on the faceplate and it would come back on, but no amount of tapping or cussing seems to be working now.

I am guessing the first probability is the screen is shot. Second, maybe a loose wiring connector. Before I tear into it, I thought I'd get some ideas and help here.

TIA,

2. LTG515

LTG515 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Lane
    There’s a variety reasons this can happen. My 04 has been a hassle recently. I opened up, looked at the solder joints, looked fine. Replaced the actual harness, worked for a while, then died. Ended up just sending it to circuit board medics to rebuild. Don’t waste your time trying to diagnose the problem, just get it rebuild. Cost me like $180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MrBalll

MrBalll Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Definitely check the soldering. Almost always the culprit of dimming or no lighting.

Randy Whistler likes this.
  4. Randy Whistler

Name:
    Randy
    I found a good YouTube video and I thought at least checking out the soldering would be the wise move to start with. Besides, I'm a cheap SOB. . . :cool:

ivin74 likes this.
  5. Randy Whistler

Name:
    Randy
    OK, I tore it apart today and, sure enough, the solder joint was bad. A little elbow grease and solder, and it's back in business. 20191110_114113.jpg I should have noted that the culprit is the far right connector in the pic above. Obvious when you know where to look!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  6. Fless

Fless Supporting Member

Name:
    Steve
    Solder isn't what it used to be, now that most, if not all, of the lead has been removed. Gets brittle with age and flexing.