2/3 to 3/4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
CA3C5CAA-65CF-4E54-A6B2-D82BDD407D4C.jpeg Hay guys I am in the process of lowering my 09 Tahoe again buy adding Belltech Drop Spindles 2511
To Belltech struts and pulling the spacer out of the rear so I am going from 2/3 to 3/4 at what point will I need to do trailing arms like DJM or Spohn I already have Spohn track bar and DJM sway bar end links and free travel mod Thanks pic is how it sits now

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks slick with the black stocks!

4" rear is kinda iffy when it comes to needing the adjustable arms. What really matters is if the driveshaft still has enough slack in it when the suspension is bottomed out to not bind and be shoved up into the trans tailhousing. I think what usually drives people to get the arms is to push the axle back to center it in the wheel well because it moves forward the lower you go.

If it were me, I'd lower the jack with the rear coils out and shocks disconnected until the axle is bottomed out on the frame, then see if the driveshaft has any longitudinal play. The other reason for the adjustable arms is to set the pinion angle with such a drop. I think the stock geometry is pretty good at keeping the pinion angle within tolerances, but it doesn't hurt to be sure. Magnetic angle gauges are cheap and plenty useful elsewhere, so they're a good investment.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 4” you’ll be fine with the stock setup. Adding the new arms at that height would be like stated above just to re center the wheels forward and back in the wells. They are a good investment regardless

OP
OP
Lwile

Lwile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info i will look into it when I do the back.and will the DJM trailing arm brackets work with the belltech shock extenders or can I modify the to work ?

OP
OP
Lwile

Lwile

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but regarding the front struts instead of using Belltechs spaces and a spring compressor can I just use 1 inch or 1.5 lift blocks under bottom of struts might be easier to adjust if I decide to go lower thanks

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but regarding the front struts instead of using Belltechs spaces and a spring compressor can I just use 1 inch or 1.5 lift blocks under bottom of struts might be easier to adjust if I decide to go lower thanks

You mean not use the rings with the struts so you get their full 2" drop (4" total), but use the spacers to lift it back up 1"-1.5" so you net 2.5"-3" of drop? Sure.

Actually, I like this idea. I have yet to install my BT struts but lately I've been trying to determine if I want a full 4" front drop (with drop spindles) or if I want 3" or maybe go right in the middle at 3.5". I don't wanna have to take it all back apart just to add or remove a ring or two. Using your idea, it wouldn't be such an issue if 4" is too low. I already have 2" lift spacers that I could slice in half. Hmmm. I could also make each block a different height to level it left-to-right.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info i will look into it when I do the back.and will the DJM trailing arm brackets work with the belltech shock extenders or can I modify the to work ?

Yes the DJM trailing arm brackets work with the Belltech shock extenders. I have both on the rear of my 4/6 Burb.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my 04 with a crown 3/4 drop with beltech nitro drop shocks riding on 24s. It dont ride to great so was going to put beltech spindles on the front with factory keys back in. The back do the djm trailing arm relocation kit with sway bar links help the ride in the back. I've already done the free travel mod.

20181202_200403.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC

Latest posts