1999 poor braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a spongy brake pedal until I tried this:

Now, my MC is not angled like the ones shown in the above article, but there was still trapped air. I simply parked on a downhill slope, had my helper ready at the brake pedal and placed a block under the brake to prevent the pedal from going too far down. Using a jar and paper towel underneath, I cracked open but did not remove the primary line, my helper pressed down on the brake pedal, I closed the line. We repeated this twice, then one again on the secondary. The whole process probably took about 10 minutes, and the brake pedal feels better.

OP
OP
RubyRedLTZ

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good read on the mc and caliper compatibility. Thanks. I think that’s the next step, to go back to obs mc.

OP
OP
RubyRedLTZ

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The pedal isn’t spongy. It just doesn’t have much grab or bite to it. I think I need to learn how to quote people. Thanks for everyones help.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The pedal isn’t spongy. It just doesn’t have much grab or bite to it. I think I need to learn how to quote people. Thanks for everyones help.

Just click on the REPLY link at the bottom of the post that you want to quote. It'll copy it in a separate section in a new message for you, like this one. Example of what I clicked to quote your post:

Capture.PNG

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no new magic to a hydraulic brake system. I installed a NBS MC on my pickup and it gave much better pedal feel and good stopping power. Basically it's a larger bore MC so the larger bore moves more fluid and gives a firm pedal but drops pressure down a little. The material of the pads and finish on the rotor plays into stopping power. All of that said we're playing with 25yo vehicles so everything in the system is old and worn. Always good to start with replacing the majority of the system to get the best results. I never do rear brakes on vehicles of much age without replacing wheel cylinders and all springs.

OP
OP
RubyRedLTZ

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's no new magic to a hydraulic brake system. I installed a NBS MC on my pickup and it gave much better pedal feel and good stopping power. Basically it's a larger bore MC so the larger bore moves more fluid and gives a firm pedal but drops pressure down a little. The material of the pads and finish on the rotor plays into stopping power. All of that said we're playing with 25yo vehicles so everything in the system is old and worn. Always good to start with replacing the majority of the system to get the best results. I never do rear brakes on vehicles of much age without replacing wheel cylinders and all springs.
Just about everything is new or very recent. The shop is going to replace with a obs mc next week. Hopefully that helps. Still have the steering slop and lack of power to address after this.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about everything is new or very recent
That's the great part about vehicle repair in todays world where parts come close to fitting and some even work for a while. Diagnostics are where it's at. Hydraulic problems? time for a pressure gauge.

Toenail

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new pads calipers and rotors. Back drum brakes are fine and adjusted. Just doesn’t stop very well. Looking for suggestions for improvements. Is police package parts much of an upgrade?
Up grade to the hydro-vac brakes and you will finally have brakes. This was an option but few had it. All 2500 99's had this system I believe. I did the conversion and it is great.

OP
OP
RubyRedLTZ

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Up grade to the hydro-vac brakes and you will finally have brakes. This was an option but few had it. All 2500 99's had this system I believe. I did the conversion and it is great.
Hydro-vac or hydro-boost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401