1999 T-case - no 4LO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patten

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For a while now, I have had a front drive shaft vibration . The drive shaft was bad as well as the female receptor of the tcase. The t case had been reworked before so I said what the heck and ordered a rebuilt one. That worked great until this summer when the t case started staying stuck in 4lo. After a while of resting, presumably cooling down, it went back to 2wd and all was fine. But it kept doing this.

So, I talked to a 4x4 mechanic nut friend of mine and he suggested putting in a new t case motor. He sent me the link and I ordered it. I was going to take it to him, 25 miles away, when the brakes went to pot. Someone had put something in backasswards in the rear brakes. While the brakes were being repaired, and the radiator, I got this shop to replace the bad motor with the one I ordered.

Well, once I got to a less secure earth, not pavement, to test it, the t case will go into 4hi or 4 auto but no 4lo. And the SERVICE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE light comes on. I took it the 25 miles to my mechanic buddy. He "played' with it a bit and determined the code is working from the dash to push it into 4lo but it just isn't happening. He tried the original motor with much the same results.We have ordered another motor, this time from O'Reilly's vs Amazon.

If I didn't take this beast through often flooded pine forests town up by loggers with their skidders, I would have to worry with 4lo. But it is needed.

In the meantime, can anyone think of another item that may be the issue?

OP
OP
P

Patten

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Let me add, my buddy can use a wrench to shift the t case in and out of 4lo.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let us know if the new encoder motor fixes it; sounds like you're waiting for the one from O'Reillys.

It would be good if you would post the code.

OP
OP
P

Patten

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, my buddy put in the new motor and it gets into 4lo. But now I am back to the original problem. It wants to stick in the 4wd service it is moved to when shifted from 2wd.

The SERVICE FOUR WD light comes on and it won't shift from 4lo to 2wd. I can keep on going and after a few starts and stops with engine cut off, it will shift back to 2wd. Which is the original problem.

Suggestions?

It is a rebuilt t case as I think I have said and everything was fine early on when first installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019