1999 poor braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
new pads calipers and rotors. Back drum brakes are fine and adjusted. Just doesn’t stop very well. Looking for suggestions for improvements. Is police package parts much of an upgrade?

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to check in the rear. Those wheel cylinders tend to get crusty and freeze up the metal pistons. Just pull the rubber boot off and take a close look. Won't notice much in the brake pedal but sure cuts down on the stopping ability. And I've found that high performance brake pads up front sometimes don't work that well for everyday driving. Need some serious heat to really start gripping the rotor.

I did notice that going from our GMC Terrain to the Tahoe the big machine doesn't have strong brakes that we were used to in the Terrain. Have to look a little farther ahead seems like.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear drums could be glazed and in need of resurfacing. Be sure the the shoes are adjusted all the way out and then backed off to a slight drag when rotating. Also make sure the system has been bleed well. These are all things that could be directly related to your poor braking condition.
I can’t advise on your police package inquiry. If the original equipment is in good working order these trucks have excellent braking power, regardless of whether your ‘99 is a Suburban or a Tahoe.

OP
OP
RubyRedLTZ

RubyRedLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All New lines and fluid. New master cylinder from newer generation. Sorry for posting in wrong forum.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are more threads on it, but here’s one about that master cylinder swap:

The Cliff’s Notes version is that the GMT800 master cylinder isn’t really appropriate for the rest of a stock JB5 system in the GMT400 without upgrading other things. Been there, done that. The truck had better pedal feel with a 800 MC but felt like the pads were made of smooth glass. Greatly reduced stopping power. I ditched it and put the stock style back on.

The pedal feel is not impressive compared to anything modern, but mine work best with the stock master cylinder, an ABS bleed followed by a pressure bleed, and properly adjusted drums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879