100K Mile Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no power steering fluid. I asked the dealer to do that one a while back when I was doing a recall, and they honestly informed me that it is electric. That was news to me. I like having no power steering fluid.

Original poster was asking about his 2012 Tahoe, which indeed does have power steering fluid. Ditto my Suburban because they're both GMT900.

Your truck is a different platform, K2XX, which does have electric steering. There's a different forum for K2XX. This is the GMT900 forum.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no power steering fluid. I asked the dealer to do that one a while back when I was doing a recall, and they honestly informed me that it is electric. That was news to me. I like having no power steering fluid.
that recall was to lower the output of the power steering .....

the 12vDC ones overheat easily (high current draw) hence the recall (software performance limited)

Original poster was asking about his 2012 Tahoe, which indeed does have power steering fluid. Ditto my Suburban because they're both GMT900.

Your truck is a different platform, K2XX, which does have electric steering. There's a different forum for K2XX. This is the GMT900 forum.

the 48v (12v to 48vDC) power steering rack on this GMT900 series has better performance overall.

since it's an exact fit on to GMT900 series you can just drop it into your GMT900 :D Might need a HIGHER output alternator minimum of 195amps... an alt from a k2xx for example

Last edited: