07+ Brake upgrade on a 00-06 NBS, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket

That is what was originally posted. Getting more into this, it was bringing up additional questions beyond just installing GMT 900 calipers/rotors/pads on our GMT 800 trucks.

And whether it was worth the effort and money and whether it actually yielded a remarkable stopping power gain over our OEM or replacement setups.

This is the exact info that is making this thread very interesting.

A BBK is honestly a huge chunk just for the front or rear.

Getting a true usage input or alternative, reasonable cost to actual improved performance could be my fault. Sorry if I got this off track.

I kind of steered it into gathering info for us all to see about another option that maybe we had not considered above/between the GMT 900 swap, yet not as pricey as say a full BBK kit. But still yielding significant stopping gains for our 2 tons beasts.

I am eager for that other option if it exists and someone's input to share for the benefit of us all because this question seems to arise often, but not really get satisfactorily answered.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket

That is what was originally posted. Getting more into this, it was bringing up additional questions beyond just installing GMT 900 calipers/rotors/pads on our GMT 800 trucks.

And whether it was worth the effort and money and whether it actually yielded a remarkable stopping power gain over our OEM or replacement setups.

This is the exact info that is making this thread very interesting.

A BBK is honestly a huge chunk just for the front or rear.

Getting a true usage input or alternative, reasonable cost to actual improved performance could be my fault. Sorry if I got this off track.

I kind of steered it into gathering info for us all to see about another option that maybe we had not considered above/between the GMT 900 swap, yet not as pricey as say a full BBK kit. But still yielding significant stopping gains for our 2 tons beasts.

I am eager for that other option if it exists and someone's input to share for the benefit of us all because this question seems to arise often, but not really get satisfactorily answered.
I understand and that's fine. There's obviously different ways to do this including big rotors while still using the stock GMT800 calipers and pads but he was talking about using rear GMT800 rotors on the front which I've never heard of. I thought the idea was to use all GMT900 parts on the front including rotors.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw someone post these on another thread. I think I may try these out next go around

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ssb-a126-42/none/images
I saw those too but like someone also questioned: 14" rotors are awesome but how much extra stopping power will the front have if the stock GMT800 front calipers and pads are used? Seems to me that would then become the weak link in the chain, so to speak.

ATIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the rear rotors would work on the front. The rears have a giant offset, kinda like a spacer would do. I was kind of looking at them funny when I changed the rears on mine to Powerslots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khaled_94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understood the mod is actually to install GMT900 (07-14) front rotors and calipers/brackets on the front of a GMT800 (00-06) truck.
well yes the mod as all said install GMT900 front rotors to GMT800 Front rotors

but what i mean can u install GMT900 front/Rear rotors to GMT800 Rear rotors

pnwdan

Cunning linguist
Reaction score

The 800 rear calipers and rotors are indeed bigger and better than the 900s so that's why people only swap the fronts.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just to be clear once again, front and rear rotors aren't interchangeable period. Rear rotors have the parking brake drums so they are completely different than the front rotors, regardless of whether they're 800 or 900.

khaled_94

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well mabye i wasnt that clear
i found a great deal of GMT900 Rotors and break pads so the mod is to replace the Front GMT800 rotors with GMT900

the question is can i also install GMT900 Rear rotors on GMT800 rear

"the deal was a ceramic rotors and pads but the sho[ only supply GMT900"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore